IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Torque Convertor Revs

We have been discussing torque convertor action on the European Forum, and I am not happy with the way mine works, never have been. I would prefer if a request for acceleration in top [4th] saw 3rd selected, with the resultant higher revs giving higher tranny pump pressures, better torque region of the rev range and also the use of the torque multiplier in third for added forward thrust. Instead, in mine anyway, you get leisurely pickup in 4th unless you instigate kickdown. See

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...634#post148634

As a matter of interest, in top gear and without lockup, how many revs will your engine pick up under strong acceleration without changing down?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-06-2003, 05:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Joe I would be happy to provide some engine speeds for you on this. Do you have a particular road speed range in mind?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks John.

Mine being JDM, I can select POWER from the console. This raises the upshift points in the rev range, and "fixes" the problem to an extent in the lower 3 gears.

My beef is with top or 4th. Any speed over 60, indeed over 50, it tends to want to stay in top and use the torque convertor, rather than change down and move on. I suspect this is programmed into the TCU, for smoothness and economy. No doubt Subaru probably [rightly? ] figured that press-on drivers would buy a WRX manual, not an SVX.

What I am asking is, at a steady 70 say in top, and without lockup, how many revs will the torque convertor absorb when the car is asked to quicken up?

Joe

PS Check the reply from E on the Down Under forum.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Joe,

It would appear that you may concerned that your car may not be performing as intended. On the basis of the way mine behaves I would say yours appears normal. It will be interesting to have more comments as we will both be interested.

In overdrive without lock up I think, without an actual check, I would see only 200-300 revs lost in the slush box with a call for power and no kick down. When locked up the horses are in the stable.

Regards, Trevor *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks Trevor,

Mine loses about 700 to 750 revs in top or Overdrive as you rightly call it.

Tony replied that his revved up about 1000 rpm when accelerating in top, closer to mine.

Be interesting to see how other machines behave, and if many have modified or changed the torque convertor.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-07-2003, 04:52 AM

Hi Joe

Well I gave it a shot this morning. There was not much traffic so I was able to slow down and speed up several times. Basically I found that the engine speed will increase about 1500 rpm when it slips out of lock-up. So at say 75mph the tach is reading 2500 in lock-up and stomping on the throttle will bring the engine speed up to 4000 rpm.

Now, I had a small problem with all of this. I have been trying to obtain maximum mpg on my commute and that sort of ended this morning. I forgot how nice it was to punch it at 60 and have it drop into power and 4th. Then I remembered how nice it was to be doing 75 and have it drop into power and 4th. So these fast accell’s will lower my mpg. Well somebody was watching me and was accelerating rather fast also. Before I knew it I was leaving him at 100 and then at about 120 had to slow down as there were too many cars on the road for this nonsense. I jammed the brakes and then my seat back started to squeeze me into the steering wheel. What the heck is going on? I was wondering has the seat broken? My brief case No it was just the water bottle had broken loose, (I keep it between the door and seat,) and was adjusting the seat back for me.

I just read Trevors post and yes when going into lock-up while at a steady cruise the rev drop about 400 rpm.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hi Joe

What the heck is going on? I was wondering has the seat broken? My brief case No it was just the water bottle had broken loose, (I keep it between the door and seat,) and was adjusting the seat back for me.

I just read Trevors post and yes when going into lock-up while at a steady cruise the rev drop about 400 rpm.
Say, when I talk about press-on driving, I am obviously not advocating you guys rushing around the place at 120.

And your water bottle on the loose... You guys in the States do not seem to have the multi cup-holders that we of the JDM twin-turbo elite have

Thanks for the readout John.

I had the same trouble with an R5 GT Turbo. I call it adrenaline creep. Every day you start the journey, adamant you will stick to 55-60. Then you overtake someone, and feel the punch of the turbo. Before long, you are moving at a steady 70-90, the natural cruising speed for the car. SVX has a lot less punch, but is so, so smooth at high speeds, the needle creeps up if you are not watching the clock.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I wonder if there is a difference between the JDM TCU and USDM TCU. If I'm going 70 mph (TC locked or unlocked) and smack the throttle pedal to the floor, my car will shift down to 3rd and let the good times roll. :-) Makes for nice clean passes.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

And your water bottle on the loose... You guys in the States do not seem to have the multi cup-holders that we of the JDM twin-turbo elite have

Joe
I have also managed to throw a few drinks to the floor when the wedgie breaks loose in hard braking or quick left hand turns. For that reason I found the space between the door and driver seat to be safer for drinks until today. I think the diameter is too small on this particular bottle.

Oh by the way.. I took out my TT to save on gas.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I wonder if there is a difference between the JDM TCU and USDM TCU. If I'm going 70 mph (TC locked or unlocked) and smack the throttle pedal to the floor, my car will shift down to 3rd and let the good times roll. :-) Makes for nice clean passes.
Going by my JDM which kicks down as you describe there is no difference. Except that we have a power button which raises the RPM change points during upward changes for added acceleration and provides for us permanent transition into good times mode !

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Hi Mychailo

I see Trevor has answered your comment. I was really looking for strong acceleration, without resorting to kick-down, if you have a look back at the first post.

Kick-down works on mine just as you say, but it's a bit Mad Hatterish. Should be possible to move on up the road without firing off all the missiles and releasing all the horses.

Guess I'll just have to bolt on that supercharger I keep promising myself....

Joe

{The above was meant to be sarcastic, but is probably true. The car is about 100 hp short for the weight of it }

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I have also managed to throw a few drinks to the floor when the wedgie breaks loose in hard braking or quick left hand turns. For that reason I found the space between the door and driver seat to be safer for drinks until today. I think the diameter is too small on this particular bottle.

Oh by the way.. I took out my TT to save on gas.
You don't buy these to save the planet, so I left the TT on mine.

However, had to take out the multi-diameter cup-holder, as it kept spilling beer into the CD player , even under moderate braking

You can't get good engineering these days....

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-07-2003, 06:31 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Hi Mychailo

I see Trevor has answered your comment. I was really looking for strong acceleration, without resorting to kick-down, if you have a look back at the first post.

ok. I'm with you now. I guess you don't want to manually shift it down into 3rd?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Exactly. You are right.

Once it gets into 4th, about 100metres up the road usually, it wants to hold fourth forever. You can only manually change it to 3, or else kick[down] it into a lower gear. Not very smooth, not very automatic.

What I would prefer is the selection of 3 for giving it 2 or 3 inches of pedal. The software should know you want to move on sharpish and give you a lower gear withoul having to whip the car with kickdown.

This reluctance to let go of 4 has been criticised by many of the road testers in 1992-3 when the cars were new to the market.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
sans SVX

Yeah, I agree with you how the tranny should behave. I think that would require changing the TCU program.

Visit my locker