How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

CAM seals for double CAM head 2.5L

IT's not the SVX engine but it's the 2.5 L double overhead CAM engine for the WRX, 2.5 RS and STI. This engine is different then the 3.3 DOHC. The 3.3 uses only one CAM sprocket per engine side where the 2.5 has two CAM sprockets. The 3.3 drives the second CAM shaft with gears where as the 2.5 CAM ahsft is driver by both sprockets. A friend of mine has the 2.5 engine and we were discussing how to change the timing belt. Special tools are needed to hold the CAM sprockets inplace before the T-belt is removed. Without these special tools the CAM shaft can rotate and the valves can crash into each other. The inlet and exhaust valves can hit each other if not turned at the same time. Currently I am glad I do not have this 2.5L engine. But if I every did get one I thought I could just make the tools to hold the sprockets. Then I was thinking....... How does one get the sprocket off to change a CAM seal? The tool locks the position of the upper and lower sprocket to each other on each side of the engine. With the tool inplace there is no way to remove the sprockets. Removing the tool would allow the CAM to rotate and there goes the valves. Anybody know about this? Is the 2.5L engine that hard to work on?