Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Re: Reliable SVX mechanic in or near New Jersey. Need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Will the airbag light cause it to fail inspection in NJ?
Well I researched it today, and it seems recently NJ has dropped the safety inspection for vehicles older than 5 years. But! My wallet with 400 dollars in it has been stolen so now I can't get it inspected until I get another licence.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Congrats on getting your dream car. I honestly bit my tongue on your first post introducing yourself to the network. Sadly, what I had intended to write appears to be coming true.

You, my friend, are at the tip of the iceberg in terms of repairs and will most certainly spend significantly more bringing the svx to daily driver status.

Like you, I purchased (via loan) my SVX when I was 19, and am now 33 and am just NOW getting to the point where the vehicle is in good/excellent condition. I learned to do everything myself on the svx due to the maintenance costs. Even still my car is 25 years old and anything can go at any minute.

My advice, get out while you are ahead. If you pursue this car, like me, you'll be working for the next 10 + years fixing/repairing things along the way.

I know it's harsh to say and my advice will likely not be taken, but this car is not for a 19 year old with limited funds.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophCobb View Post
...So that's why I chose an SVX. Is it the most responsible thing? No. The smartest thing? No. The most affordable or reliable? No. But golly I wanted one and here I am, 19, and in love.
LOL, good read. Sounds like you really like your new toy.
I hope you are able to get it to be a reliable daily driver, this car is not for the faint of heart.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Wallet has been relocated. I hear what you guys are saying, and yes. It is sensible. My thoughts where that i would learn to do the work myself on this car to cut costs on maintenance. Unless it's too far out of my reach for the time. I'm going to school for mechanics in September. I want something to work on. I bought this beat up, neglected subaru because I know that there's work to be done. And like that analogy about the tip of the iceberg, there's ALOT to be done on this car. And since I've bought it I've spent long hours in the driveway working on this car and cleaning it. Scouring it. And I've enjoyed every moment of it. I know that this is definitely something I'm going to need help with along the way. But that's why I'm here. Asking all these crazy questions. Bothering all you folks. I wouldn't be able to learn what I have so far if my dad was not mechanically inclined like he is. Or my girlfriends dad. Or her step dad. So being surrounded by mechanics is definitely a blessing when it comes to a subject such as this. And I'm thankful for all your answers and suggestions this far. So that's where I'm at right now. Taking it to be inspected tomorrow! Thankfully NJ just dropped their safety rules on inspection or that airbag issue (while important) would have definitely been a deal breaker
Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Regarding the FSM online manuals, they can be found here

http://www.phantomotaku.com/SVX/

33 sections of pdf files that cover every system and area.

Just download them onto you computer and print out what you need as needed. I have two complete sets of factory service manuals, but it is so great to be able to download the onto an ipad Air and carry them wherever I need them, a mechanic, an SVX meet or anywhere.

Total set is only 279MB in size and is faithful in every detail to the originals.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophCobb View Post
I'm going to school for mechanics in September. I want something to work on. I bought this beat up, neglected Subaru because I know that there's work to be done.
You may want to volunteer your car as a project car for the school. Our local Community Colleges do this. The owner is only responsible for parts costs and the students do the work under their instructor's guidance.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
You may want to volunteer your car as a project car for the school. Our local Community Colleges do this. The owner is only responsible for parts costs and the students do the work under their instructor's guidance.
+1 When my son was in the mechanic tech program, I got brake upgrades, valve cover gasket replacement, sway bar and more. Plus, they all loved working on something besides the mini vans and boring cars.

Unfortunately, now I can't afford his shop rates.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-06-2015, 10:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Regarding the FSM online manuals, they can be found here

http://www.phantomotaku.com/SVX/

33 sections of pdf files that cover every system and area.

Just download them onto you computer and print out what you need as needed.
Yep, he should grab the service manuals if he has not done so already.
I even put a copy on a cd and gave it to my mechanic in case they run into issues.

I also bag all my parts up nice for them and include the breakdown diagrams, like so:

(yeah I go a bit overboard...)

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 08-06-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:41 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Whatever you do, do not take your car to MD auto in town. When I first bought my car in high school it was taken there, and they did not have experience with the svx. After a routine transmission fluid change, they backflushed my trans line with an air compressor, causing issues with excessive binding until my rear clutches gave out.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Thank you guys for your suggestions, I'm going to download the PDF service manual and attempt to do the work myself. But that is a good idea: volunteering the car. Although I like to work on the car myself.