Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Trouble Code P0441

Been getting this code for some time now and I don't have a clue where to start looking on this one. Can anyone give me some pointers?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: Trouble Code P0441

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Been getting this code for some time now and I don't have a clue where to start looking on this one. Can anyone give me some pointers?
Forgot to add: the "description" for that code is "Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow".
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Check out this thread...uses OBDI terminology but sounds like what is causing your OBDII code. If you have never taken off the upper manifold, now is the time to see what is going on under there..cracked vacuum lines, mouse nests, corroded electrical connectors, Amelia Erhardt's goggles...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...purge+solenoid
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
Check out this thread...uses OBDI terminology but sounds like what is causing your OBDII code. If you have never taken off the upper manifold, now is the time to see what is going on under there..cracked vacuum lines, mouse nests, corroded electrical connectors, Amelia Erhardt's goggles...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...purge+solenoid
I had this thing down to the block when I was getting the car running back in May/June/July so I had a pretty good look at everything. Granted, most of the vacuum hoses were getting kind of hard, they still had some flex in them. I meant to replace them all but forgot to (got excited when it all started coming together). Considering the way the rest of the electrical stuff has gone on this car, it wouldn't surprise me if a solenoid has gone bad. I'm just not sure where to start with this code. I'll give that thread a read and see if something leaps out at me. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
I had this thing down to the block when I was getting the car running back in May/June/July so I had a pretty good look at everything. Granted, most of the vacuum hoses were getting kind of hard, they still had some flex in them. I meant to replace them all but forgot to (got excited when it all started coming together). Considering the way the rest of the electrical stuff has gone on this car, it wouldn't surprise me if a solenoid has gone bad. I'm just not sure where to start with this code. I'll give that thread a read and see if something leaps out at me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sounds like a plan...I have reused my upper manifold gaskets a couple times since they look good when exposed so new gaskets each time for me weren't necessary. I would use a very thin layer of RTV on the bottom of them only, leaving the top dry. In the past, if the top looked a bit worn, would then add RTV to the top.
When I removed some old vacuum lines, like yours stiff, "dry" but intact, I found the "crud" that kept them tight to their nipple was lost and they slipped on/off awfully easily subsequently.

Hopefully the Solenoid thread will help..gives part number and some other good info. Maybe Harvey, the Aussie, can chime in with how to test if that solenoid is functioning as it should...

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Did some reading on that thread; the issues they seemed to be having were with the EGR system. However, after looking through the service manuals I may have found my problem: I don't think I got the fuel tank sealed when I was replacing the sending units. That ring that holds everything down fought me all the way and I thought it was because of the new gasket. Maybe I just didn't get everything situated "just so" and now it's leaking?

It usually takes a while (maybe ten minutes) for it to throw the code after I clear it. Does anyone know how often the evap system is "exercised"? If it's fairly frequent I'd be willing to be my problem is with the seal on the gas tank.