Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Two issues that I've run into so far though: One is that the first time I start the car in the morning it will run around 2000 RPM and does not settle as the engine warms up. From some searching it seems that this is something that happens to MT swapped cars. My workaround for it is to get the car driving in 3rd, shut the engine off and refire. The idle then instantly drops back down to ~1400 cold and ~700 warm. Subsequent starts during the day, even after sitting for 8 hours, are normal.
It spins so fast at startup because there's no resistance at all to it spinning with the MT in neutral like there is with the Auto in drive. And you're in Canada which means a cold startup is a very cold startup. At cold startup, the AACV (the one that's bolted to the coolant crossover pipe, on the driver's side of the engine) starts up open, then a heating coil gradually warms it up, and it eventually closes once it's warm. On really cold mornings even in FL, I have the same problem. My built engine just won't have an AACV at all.

One thing you could do is crimp the hose that goes to the AACV to limit the max amount of air it can flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
One slightly annoying thing is that my Legacy is also a 6MT but with SI-Drive. In the "Intelligent" mode the throttle response is extremely damped down. This makes rolling out from a stop a very different process between the two cars. The SVX instantly jumps to 1500 RPM, but the Legacy needs a little more prodding. The difference between the EG33 and EJ255 are also very marked. The H6 has no issue driving around at 1500 RPM or less, while the H4 hates being below 2000.
All true. The SVX throttle body is just setup in such a way that the car will feel very responsive starting off (probably to help make up for the slow-off-the-line final drive) with the automatic. This is something I've noticed as well. So the slightest tap on the throttle has a little bit bigger effect than you might intend. I've been used to it for a while now. And I also noticed that the EG33 is quite happy running at lower rpms, and has plenty of torque to get the job done too.

Does yours ever stall when you clutch-in?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album