Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Two issues that I've run into so far though: One is that the first time I start the car in the morning it will run around 2000 RPM and does not settle as the engine warms up. From some searching it seems that this is something that happens to MT swapped cars. My workaround for it is to get the car driving in 3rd, shut the engine off and refire. The idle then instantly drops back down to ~1400 cold and ~700 warm. Subsequent starts during the day, even after sitting for 8 hours, are normal.
It spins so fast at startup because there's no resistance at all to it spinning with the MT in neutral like there is with the Auto in drive. And you're in Canada which means a cold startup is a very cold startup. At cold startup, the AACV (the one that's bolted to the coolant crossover pipe, on the driver's side of the engine) starts up open, then a heating coil gradually warms it up, and it eventually closes once it's warm. On really cold mornings even in FL, I have the same problem. My built engine just won't have an AACV at all.

One thing you could do is crimp the hose that goes to the AACV to limit the max amount of air it can flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
One slightly annoying thing is that my Legacy is also a 6MT but with SI-Drive. In the "Intelligent" mode the throttle response is extremely damped down. This makes rolling out from a stop a very different process between the two cars. The SVX instantly jumps to 1500 RPM, but the Legacy needs a little more prodding. The difference between the EG33 and EJ255 are also very marked. The H6 has no issue driving around at 1500 RPM or less, while the H4 hates being below 2000.
All true. The SVX throttle body is just setup in such a way that the car will feel very responsive starting off (probably to help make up for the slow-off-the-line final drive) with the automatic. This is something I've noticed as well. So the slightest tap on the throttle has a little bit bigger effect than you might intend. I've been used to it for a while now. And I also noticed that the EG33 is quite happy running at lower rpms, and has plenty of torque to get the job done too.

Does yours ever stall when you clutch-in?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I never had this issue. Not on the stock ecu, stage 1av1, or stage 2av1. Not sure what I did differently.
Weird. It was something YT posted a while back. It could be a result of a lingering issue with my car - that first start up of the day it also stumbles to life. After cranking and the first cylinder fires it will stumble/miss for a few rotations before all cylinders come online and the idle smooths out. This takes maybe 1-1.5 seconds and happened long before I changed the transmission. In fact it happened before I changed engines, although it went away for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
It spins so fast at startup because there's no resistance at all to it spinning with the MT in neutral like there is with the Auto in drive. And you're in Canada which means a cold startup is a very cold startup. At cold startup, the AACV (the one that's bolted to the coolant crossover pipe, on the driver's side of the engine) starts up open, then a heating coil gradually warms it up, and it eventually closes once it's warm. On really cold mornings even in FL, I have the same problem. My built engine just won't have an AACV at all.

One thing you could do is crimp the hose that goes to the AACV to limit the max amount of air it can flow.

All true. The SVX throttle body is just setup in such a way that the car will feel very responsive starting off (probably to help make up for the slow-off-the-line final drive) with the automatic. This is something I've noticed as well. So the slightest tap on the throttle has a little bit bigger effect than you might intend. I've been used to it for a while now. And I also noticed that the EG33 is quite happy running at lower rpms, and has plenty of torque to get the job done too.

Does yours ever stall when you clutch-in?
Temperature seems to have no affect on this. The car lives in a heated garage, so it's never below maybe 18*C (normal indoor room temp or a couple degrees cooler) and does the crazy idle thing, but also sits outside in near freezing temps at work and starts properly.

I do need to adjust the AACV to cheat the system a little. I stripped my throttle body down completely a couple years ago to clean/shave/paint it and discovered while putting it together that taking it apart was a very bad idea. The plates are a ***** to get aligned perfectly, and as a result it idles a little higher than I would like.

No MT stalls for me!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 12-11-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

I was just going over this thread again as I am getting closer to diving into a MT swap myself and noticed that the photos you had in the first few posts have disappeared...
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Huh, weird. I have those ones hosted on Facebook, so I'll have to check into it when I'm home (no access to Facebrick from work).

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX

bump

first picture links still broken. privacy settings or maybe just upload to imgur?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch View Post
bump

first picture links still broken. privacy settings or maybe just upload to imgur?
Picture links have been updated, they should work now. If there's any issues in the future send me a PM, I'll see that sooner than an update on this thread.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Thanks for all the photos and information. I'll be starting a 5 speed swap soon and so far these photos have been the most useful I've seen on the forum.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Thanks for all the photos and information. I'll be starting a 5 speed swap soon and so far these photos have been the most useful I've seen on the forum.
Photos from at least the original posts in 2012 are dead...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Man, I started this back in 2012? Time flies...

I'll work on re-hosting the pictures onto our forum and updating the links. I think I was using photobucket for the original posts and obviously they like to dick with things every now and then.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:14 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Any luck in updating host sites for pictures?
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 AM

Registered SVX

Imgur has turned out to be a pretty sturdy hosting site thats basic enough to make it simple.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tada! That should take care of it.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for doing this I just picked up my 2005 sit 6 speed and rear diff will need lots of help did you ever get the dccd done I have been looking at the dccdpro unit?
Thank you
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

No, no DCCD for me yet. Shortly after finishing the swap I got into this real life thing (getting married, buying a house, career, etc) and the SVX has mostly been hibernating in the garage. I think I've only put a few thousand miles on the 6-speed since installing it.

Hoping to get back to it this summer.

Good luck with your swap!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM

I ended up getting a MapDCCD unit because I couldn't find anywhere to physically fit the DCCDPro unit that I had into the car. I used a method I saw from another member and hard mounted the MapDCCD unit in the ashtray. They both work equally well, I installed the DCCDPro into an impreza that I 6MT swapped. Same wiring, virtually the same operation. The MapDCCD is just smaller and has a USB interface with a setup program that allows you to change settings and even to change DCCD mapping.