SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
ABS Ground Question

I heard somewhere that connections for airbags were gold plated. Does the same go for the ABS ground strap?

I can't believe I don't remember this thing being so shiny when new. Bling Bling!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Registered SVX
Re: ABS Ground Question

"Gold" plating is the gimmick of the decade. It is useful where contact pressure is limited e.g. some switches and relays. Bur where reasonable contact pressure available and very low voltage/current is involved, silver is superior. But gold is golden so far as cometic attraction is concerned.

Using it where bolt generated pressures are involved, is plain stupid.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

So, is that thing gold plated?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
So, is that thing gold plated?
Did you not get my point? It could be, in order to impress the libido market.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Did you not get my point? It could be, in order to impress the libido market.
Cough cough ahem The purpose of gold plating is because it is absolutely superior to other metals in corrosion resistance, as its physical properties allow virtually ZERO oxidation. Silver tarnishes. Thats why gold is found in nature as a bright shiny nugget, and if you happen to find some let me know and ill take that useless metal off your hands

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Cough cough ahem The purpose of gold plating is because it is absolutely superior to other metals in corrosion resistance, as its physical properties allow virtually ZERO oxidation. Silver tarnishes. Thats why gold is found in nature as a bright shiny nugget, and if you happen to find some let me know and ill take that useless metal off your hands
Nice one. Agreed, but is it worth gilding a lily?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Nice one. Agreed, but is it worth gilding a lily?
No way, they gold plate everything nowadays..... its marketing. You pay an extra $10 for a .0001 micron thick gold plate to feel like its better. The worst is the custom stereo market..... if it aint gold plated, people think you're ghetto.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
No way, they gold plate everything nowadays..... its marketing. You pay an extra $10 for a .0001 micron thick gold plate to feel like its better. The worst is the custom stereo market..... if it aint gold plated, people think you're ghetto.
You've got it. The "audiophile!" set, swear on their backsides, that gold = golden sound,

Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

I think it's a safety issue. Say you live in a salt mine in London. If your ground for the ABS pump gets corroded prematurely, you'd have a nice lawsuit if an accident occurs. If it were marketing it would not be unadvertised. Stereo equipment sales thrive on the the fact that it's gold plated, SVX sales do not.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I think it's a safety issue. Say you live in a salt mine in London. If your ground for the ABS pump gets corroded prematurely, you'd have a nice lawsuit if an accident occurs. If it were marketing it would not be unadvertised. Stereo equipment sales thrive on the the fact that it's gold plated, SVX sales do not.
I would reckon that that a decent thickness of cadmium or zinc would be better, as this would be more likely to resist possible mechanical damage in transit, storage, or during installation.

I wonder if anyone involved in production, has put in the thought at present demonstrated here. We should demand money as consults.