Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Pocono Track Day

Went to a NASA-NE Open track day at Pocono Tuesday. Event was supposed to be on the double infield long course at Pocono, which is my favorite. See track map below:

The double infield is marked in black on the map. They use both the north course and the south course infield roads to cut out both banked ovals, and also to cut out the hairpin on the south road, giving a 2.6 miles road course with losts of twisties. It is run clockwise. We started with a 1.5 hour open track session, but about an hour into it a pothole developed in the south infield road, so, they changed to the single infield configuration, also run clockwise. They leave the south, tighter, banked oval in, and only use the south infield road entrance as a chicane to add interest and cut top speed at the end of the main straight. The single infield is marked in red on the map.

It is good getting back into it for a new season. Started with tech:

A lot of really hot cars on the track, a couple of Vipers, 3 or 4 Loti, a couple of Porsche Turbo's, some Corvettes, and some serious race prepared cars. Also, an Ariel Atom. Jack Laverty was there with the 300 whp EG33 Subaru Impreza RS. One of the Vipers spun in front of me on the second lap of the day. Too much testosterone on the track at the start of the day, must have built up over winter. Combine that with a cold morning (cold tires and track) and you have lots of off-road excursions (no damage). A lot of folks passing me. Note the Lotus and the M sedan waiting to pass in the photo below:

Even so, I was having a lot of fun. Passed a few people, including a Porsche Turbo driver who was scared of his car. Didn't take long to get back into it. Started to working on those turn-in points, picking out my braking point markers, refining the line, picking my apexes (on open track days, they don't mark the apexes, figure you should be smart enough to figure it out yourself)measuring when to come on strong with the throttle, looking for that little wiggle that tells me I've found the edge. Was having a really good time at the hairpin where the north infield road goes back onto the speedway. Come into it fast, brake really hard, then a lot of turn in to get it rotating, let the wheel out completely and put the accelerator on the floor at the same time. Really avoids that power-on understeer. Would have people in my back seat coming into that corner, but would pick up about 100 ft on most of them coming out of the corner. Of course, many of them had enough power to be ready to pass me a couple of hundred yards down the straight.

Even though I had a few butterlies before the start, it comes back quickly, and the confidence returns. Damn, I love doing this:

But, I was not to have the whole day. I was limiting my sessions to about 20-25 minutes to minimize overheating. At the end of the 4th session (3/4 of a tank of gas into it), the temp needle started to rise. Drove off the track, and it went right over the top, headed down the road to leave the track, about 30 mph, to let it cool off, heard a little thump, and, then, I've got coolant all over the winshield.

Turns out the 1.3 bar radiator cap I put on it wasn't a good idea. Radiator cracked along the top near the cap nipple. Tried to fix it with KDWeld. Didn't stick. Let go a few miles down I-80 east from Blakeslee. Called AAA. Was towed to Ertle Subaru in Stroudsburg, Got an Enterprise rental and went home. Talked to YT and he volunteered to UPS the PWR radiator from his silver to Ertle. They agreed to install a non-stock radiator. So, will pick it up Saturday morning and come down to visit everyone at Reading. See you there.

Next stop, Watkins Glen, May 5.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Excellent write-up! Sorry to hear about the radiator, but a high pressure cap on an old plastic radiator probably lead to the crack. The PWR is just what the doctor ordered and I'm sure it'll help keep the car cool on future track days!!!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
chike,
all ready to drive in the rain on Sunday?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
chike,
all ready to drive in the rain on Sunday?
-Bill
LOL. Don't remind me Bill...

Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
LOL. Don't remind me Bill...
And don't forget that they're shutting the Beltway done for an estimated 14 hours so they can put some massive steel beams in place for an overpass. Good thing is that they probably won't do the steel work if it's raining
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
And don't forget that they're shutting the Beltway done for an estimated 14 hours so they can put some massive steel beams in place for an overpass. Good thing is that they probably won't do the steel work if it's raining
-Bill
Well I don't want to threadjack anymore but I'll say this. It rained a good deal today, the beltway wasn't closed BUT riddled with accidents from people driving too fast and colliding with concrete barriers.

There were 8 signed up in BS and I think only 6-7 showed up. I finished 4th in class even though I held the third spot until final runs. My co-driver Shawn won. I'll have a write-up in my thread later this week.

/threadjack

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: