IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
...Also to solve the air in my P/S i'm going to try a turkey baster to suck as much as I can and replacing with fresh P/S fluid with maybe Lucas P/S additive...
While you have it drained, you might as well replace the O-ring. For instructions go to the "How-To" at the top of the page -> "Steering System -> "Replacing the PS O-Ring"
Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yes, a broken belt will be a real problem and is very dangerous. Rotating the tires will help to identify which tire is the culprit. If you see a sidewall bulge you may have a broken carcasse cord - in which case you need to replace the tire before it firestones.

Also there is the general design of the tire or slight build variation that can cause radial force variation even with all of the belts intact. Every tire has radial variation harmonics that will show up at certain speeds. Picture it as a bicycle rim where the spokes are all springs - a weaker or stronger spring anywhere will show up at speed. The more variation, the lower speed it will show up at. As speed increases, the weaker and stronger springs combine forces and you get even more vibration - i.e. you may get a thump every 5th rotaion and another thump every 21st rotation.

Poorly designed or constructed tires will show the vibration at highway speeds. A well designed tire shouldn't show this until you are well above the speed rating.

Since you have access to another set of tires I'd suggest you try them out before you spend a bunch of money replacing suspension components.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.