How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2002, 09:48 AM
BradT

sudden vibration problem

The day before yesterday I pulled onto a freeway I drive every day, and was surprised at a powerful vibration that came right through the steering wheel -- it visibly shook -- as I drove over a rough patch of concrete on the onramp, at about 50 mph. It happened again later during the drive .... and didn't magically go away yesterday. Especially if the car is making a sweeping turn at a fair rate of speed, it almost feels like I could lose control if I weren't gripping the steering wheel. There's no vibration on smooth surfaces, and none simply from making a turn. No strange noises, no other symptoms.

I'd think if it were something simple like losing a wheel weight, the vibration would be obvious at all speeds, on all surfaces.

And it's even stranger in that it began happening so abruptly.

Where to start?
Old 11-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: sudden vibration problem

Quote:
Originally posted by BradT
The day before yesterday I pulled onto a freeway I drive every day, and was surprised at a powerful vibration that came right through the steering wheel -- it visibly shook -- as I drove over a rough patch of concrete on the onramp, at about 50 mph. It happened again later during the drive .... and didn't magically go away yesterday. Especially if the car is making a sweeping turn at a fair rate of speed, it almost feels like I could lose control if I weren't gripping the steering wheel. There's no vibration on smooth surfaces, and none simply from making a turn. No strange noises, no other symptoms.

I'd think if it were something simple like losing a wheel weight, the vibration would be obvious at all speeds, on all surfaces.

And it's even stranger in that it began happening so abruptly.

Where to start?
In the sweeping turn, is it more noticeable in a particular direction? Could indicate a ball joint problem. Sounds to me like it's suspension and not tire related, although a tread separation could cause the same symptoms (but would probably vibrate on smooth surface). I'd start with checking out the suspension components: tie rods, control arms, etc. Check the condition of the sway bar (or for some, "anti roll bar" ) bushings.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Ticallion

hmmmmmmm... no smoking curbs within the last few days?? just kidding... umm... I think Ardubjay hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking its suspension related also. Jack up the front end and see if you see any play. That would indicate a problem
-Ross
Old 11-17-2002, 08:17 AM
BradT

Thanks, guys ... we'll see what I can find before I begin shelling out them ducats.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 AM
BradT

Well ...

No play, no obvious damage. I took the SVX in to my dealership. They did a more extensive visual inspection, rebalanced the front tires and checked the alignment (weight on and off wheels) ... nothing found. We did a road test, but freeway traffic was far too heavy to get up any speed.

To recap: at high speed, when driving over irregular surfaces, and especially when negotiating a turn, there is a strong left-right vibration throughout the car, particularly through the steering wheel.

Unless I'm imagining it.

My wife drove it and said, "Hmm. There could be something wrong ...."

Any locals want to drive this car to make sure it's all in my head?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am familar with that problem Front axles have worn CV joints. You will start to notice it more going up steep hills around 40 mph soon.

You need a crack test.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:38 PM
gschabel

I noticed a similar vibration, perhaps not as extensive as you mention, and it turned out to be one of the front struts had gone bad.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM

just wondering what you found on this.... I have had a problem like this on one of my SVXs it started out being on a sweeping turns then got worse and worse.....now it does it going sr8 but it is not at any one speeed and it comes and goes sometimes it doesnt happen for a while... since the problem I have changed a few things (not looking to fix the problem but for other reasons) ...both axles, transmission, rims and tires, rotors, and the front end feels tight on the shake down and the local shop said the same....the shake almost feels like a wheel is going to fall off!!!