How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmerz
From what i hear, it takes a while for a new tranny and rear diff to get used to each other. One remedy is to do a bunch of tight figure-8s in a parking lot. This will help them get to know eachother a little faster. Mechanically, i dont really understand why this would work, but supposedly it has worked for a lot of people. Maybe give it a try. ?
I will take to a parking lot and do some turning with it and see what happens,
Never know just might do the trick,
Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Figure 8's wont do it. What you have is called torque bind.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32960

look for my thread. The first thing you do when torque bind shows up is make sure all tires match, and are properly inflated. Second is you put in the FWD fuse and see if it goes away. That confirms to a degree that the duty C solenoid is working. Next you get a full transmission flush, then try the figure 8 thing. Then if that doesnt work you have to look at a fried clutch pack.

nipper

Last edited by nipper; 04-29-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 PM

Awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper
Figure 8's wont do it. What you have is called torque bind.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32960

look for my thread. The first thing you do when torque bind shows up is make sure all tires match, and are properly inflated. Second is you put in the FWD fuse and see if it goes away. That confirms to a degree that the duty C solenoid is working. Next you get a full transmission flush, then try the figure 8 thing. Then if that doesnt work you have to look at a fried clutch pack.

nipper
When you say fried clutch pack is that the transfer or the rear diiff, I put the fuse in and it works ok, i jacked up the rear and both wheels does not turn like a LSD rear does, this is a brand new tranny which does not mean it is not bad but that is how it goes some times, so i just don't know what else to try
Thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4U2
When you say fried clutch pack is that the transfer or the rear diiff, I put the fuse in and it works ok, i jacked up the rear and both wheels does not turn like a LSD rear does, this is a brand new tranny which does not mean it is not bad but that is how it goes some times, so i just don't know what else to try
Thanks
Since you said this is a brand new tranny (define brand new), take it back. What was your original complaint, and what year is your car, how many miles? Clutch pack is the heart of the AWD system. The rear axle if an LSD has a viscous coupling. If you h\ave a cooked LSD it will act like the car has torque bind even with the fuse in the FWD holder.

nipper
Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Question about the additive...on the Amsoil website it states clearly not to mix the additive with ATF. Should they be mixed, or not? I guess I will check my tranny mounts and AWD fuse first to make sure that the additive is indeed needed.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:58 PM

Not knowing some aspects of the SVX that well (thats why im here), if this was a leagcy i would suggest checking the carrier bearing and the universal joints at the half shafts. Now do SVX's have the same set up? The give away is that it is there when you are going straight.

nipper
Old 05-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysvx10
Question about the additive...on the Amsoil website it states clearly not to mix the additive with ATF. Should they be mixed, or not? I guess I will check my tranny mounts and AWD fuse first to make sure that the additive is indeed needed.
I would look around a bit for a mineral based additive. I found one that had no warnings about mixing with ATF. (NAPA) Cant remember the brand.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.