How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Curt

Question Problems with Tranny Rebuild

Bought a '92 about two months ago and knew the tranny was slipping a bit at take off. When the wether got hot it started slipping a bit at highway speeds,
I took it to a tranny shop that said they knew Subaru trannies. Now the fun begins. Nearly two weeks passed while they waited for a part out of California. The day they say I can pick it up, the radiator cracked out. At the suggestion of other members, I negotiated a radiator price with a local Subaru dealership got one the dext day. The tranny shop put it in and I picked the car up. Not even out of the parking lot noticed the 'FWD' light is on. Went back in and they thought that that was the way it was supposed to work. I drove it home with the FWD light on and read in my owners manual that it is not to be on and the fuse is not to be inserted for normal driving.
I removed the fuse and immediately developed a "CLUNK" going around corners. Oh ya, and now the air conditioning compressor will not engage and the fuse is good.
Brought it back to the shop and they first suggested that the drive axles may be bad. then they called to say that the rear drive probably was not working before and now that the tranny is fixed, the rear differential problems show up. They think the rear differential should be gone through.
And Now my Questions........
Has anyone else experienced this "clunk" after a tranny rebuild that would confirm that what they say is true?
If it's true, does the rear differential need rebuilding, are there certain parts to replace, or is it an item to replace?
Is there some conection of the radiator and/or tranny that should cause the compressor to not work?
I've got about $4000 into it, anybody want to buy my frustration?
Thanks for your help!
Curt
Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
As for the clunk that sounds like your AWD binding.

It's been known to happen that when a tranny is replaced that the refrigerant leaks out of the A/C system. Have them test the system for pressure...I bet it's low.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Curt

So is there some adjustment or alignment issues with mounts that they can correct to eliminate the clunk?
How can the freon leak out because of a tranny change? Small leak that gets opened up?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
When we were installing my 5 spd my dad was leaning on the engine. He must have put some weight on one of the A/C pipes because it started hissing. More than likely the o-ring was not perfect but if they don't catch the noise you will lose all your refrigerant.

As for the binding some people have had success with adding an LSD additive to the ATF. If you do a search for "lsd additive" you should find several threads on the subject.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Curt

The compressor clutch does ot appear to be turning. Shouldn't the front of the compressor be turning when the the air conditioning is turned on? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Meow!

Yes it should always be turning with the A/C on. Get a pressure gauge to check the low side pressure (or have it checked by a professional).

More than likely it will be low on refrigerant. Try to convince the shop to cover the recharge.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Have the shop check out your Throttle Position Sensor (T.P.S.) voltage.
If it's higher than the recomended 0.50Volts, that can cause binding.

Do your tires match? Are all four the same size, brand, type?

For example, if you have four Goodyear Eagle 225/50/16s, but the fronts are TR's, and the back are GT2's, they might not have the same circumferance, causing a binding.

Even if they are all the same brand, do they all have the same circumferance?
(Aprox 79 inches on the stock size.)

Does the power light blink 16 times in a row when you start it?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
I took it to a tranny shop that said they knew Subaru trannies.,,,,,,,,,

Not even out of the parking lot noticed the 'FWD' light is on. Went back in and they thought that that was the way it was supposed to work. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Brought it back to the shop then they called to say that the rear drive probably was not working before and now that the tranny is fixed,,,,,,,,

the rear differential problems show up. They think the rear differential should be gone through.,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for your help!
Curt
As far as the transmission problems go, they don't have a clue. They know Subaru tranmissions , yet they put the FWD fuse in, then have the afront to say "thats the way it should be".

I reckon they had a go at the transmission, balls the job up, the transfer clutch was binding, didn't know 'what the heck is wrong' put the fuse in, hoped you would not notice. Then made up the bullshlt story about the back end not working before, BUT now that they fixed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You took it in with, what sounds like a low line pressure problem, (probably a blocked strainer), no back end problems, and you get this results. You could take it back to them, to have another go, but I don't think you will get much satisfaction, judging by their responces.

I would get some one that knows, to check it out to see what is the problem, then, you may be able to get the "trany shop" to redo it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Curt

Thanks for the input guys!
They put the additive in the tranny and the clunk went away. I never found clear instructions to give them to as how to FIX the clunk but the bandaid worked. The warranty is one year, unlimited miles so I'll have to drive it alot to get the most out of the warranty.
They said they would put a charge in the air conditioning system when I can hang around for an hour or so and they would check for leaks. If there's a leak somewhere where they may have damaged something they will repair it - no charge. If there are other problems or if the leak isn't in the vicinity of where they were working, I'll be on my own - no charge. Sounds like they want to do right even if they didn't have a clue as to what they were getting into with the tranny. My total cost was $1803 so if there aren't further problems, good for me.
This is a great source of help -especially for us SVX newbies. You're all appreciated.
Curt
Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Meow!

They sound like a good bunch of people.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
TorG0d

Question - does the clunk happen going one way or both? The reason I ask is because my 92 had 2 of the 4 rear axle mounts broken, and the car would *clunk* from the back end when turning one way but not the other. Have them check that as well, cost me $450 or so if memory serves me correctly (got hosed probably, but it was done quickly).

Edit: Oops, didnt read the last post . . .