Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Stock Exhaust vs Cat-back Magnaflow

So I'm wondering, what is it that makes a cat-back set up, such as a magnaflow cat and resonator and muffler upgrade, more powerful than stock?

I realize the exhausts sound differently, but is an upgrade of that nature truly more powerful than stock, and if so, what is it that makes it more powerful? Are those components built differently?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The magnaflow cat might net some more power if it flows better but as far as the rest of the route - size being equal I don't think anyone can honestly say it is better than stock.
That huge stock muffler actually flows quite well - as evidenced by the cutaway one member did.
Now once you throw in pipe size and configuration changes the door is wide open.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
the aftermarket system, if done correctly, will result in a reduction of backpressure which will allow the engine to be more efficient in its use of a given amount of fuel - thus increasing the hp output of the engine. Not done correctly, the aftermarket system can actually decrease hp.... (i.e. reduce the backpressure too much and you can actually suck unburned fuel out of the exhaust system...)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
(i.e. reduce the backpressure too much and you can actually suck unburned fuel out of the exhaust system...)
-Bill
not sure about that, but I know that a poorly designed system (ex: too big piping) will give less power because the system does not pull the exhaust gases out of the cylinder (scavenge) as efficiently, not because there is too little backpressure. You don't want any backpressure, in fact, you want a pressure lower than atmospheric at TDC to help pull exhaust gas out of the cylinder and the fresh charge in.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueSVX
not sure about that, but I know that a poorly designed system (ex: too big piping) will give less power because the system does not pull the exhaust gases out of the cylinder (scavenge) as efficiently, not because there is too little backpressure. You don't want any backpressure, in fact, you want a pressure lower than atmospheric at TDC to help pull exhaust gas out of the cylinder and the fresh charge in.

check the very, very short header pipes on Top Fuel and Funny Cars -- the ignition event actually extends out of the pipes (ie flames!). I realize that this is an extreme case....
-Bill (realizing he should probably pull his exhaust system design handbook out...)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
check the very, very short header pipes on Top Fuel and Funny Cars -- the ignition event actually extends out of the pipes (ie flames!). I realize that this is an extreme case....
-Bill (realizing he should probably pull his exhaust system design handbook out...)
nitromethane burns slower than gasoline so when the exhaust valve opens the fuel is still burning . (I've been doing my reading recently too)

Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCamusJr
So I'm wondering, what is it that makes a cat-back set up, such as a magnaflow cat and resonator and muffler upgrade, more powerful than stock?

I realize the exhausts sound differently, but is an upgrade of that nature truly more powerful than stock, and if so, what is it that makes it more powerful? Are those components built differently?
I can't exactly tell you that an aftermarket system will be better, because so many custom systems are different and not many people have done a before/after test with a dyno to get some actual numbers. I will be doing a system this summer, so I'll be able to tell you how it sounds/feels, and be able to give you some exact numbers on the ever popular and increasingly accurate butt dyno .

Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Without removing all three of the OEM cats, there isn't much power to be gained by installing a cat-back exhaust. Maybe 5 hp.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCamusJr

Sure... The Stebro exhaust system has been said (by the president of Stebro) to produce about 7-9lb-ft torque and roughly 9-11hp...

Care to know the price??? I don't think ya really want to know... .... We'll just say that for three pieces, the price has four numbers and a coma after the first one

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueSVX
nitromethane burns slower than gasoline so when the exhaust valve opens the fuel is still burning . (I've been doing my reading recently too)

Good point!!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Sure... The Stebro exhaust system has been said (by the president of Stebro) to produce about 7-9lb-ft torque and roughly 9-11hp...
And I say to him - show me the dyno chart
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:45 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
If my time slips are any evidence...the exhaust would be a big help.

For mt 15.3, basically the only mod I had was exhaust. (Intake resonator removed, tranny resistor unplugged)

I have the 3 OEM cats in place, with a single pipe coming back, into a Y-pipe, in to 2 flowmaster mufflers, and then out.

Here's pictures.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?