Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Scratches

What do you all do to get rid of the scratches on the windows:

such as the one shown on the picture?

Thanks

Lwin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aut_0049.jpg (331.5 KB, 199 views)
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-09-2002, 01:15 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
About the only way to remove them is with jewlers rouge and a ton of experience. Take it to your local glass shop that isn't a national chain. They can give you a quote for getting rid of it.

If you try it yourself without the power tools, you'll need an total elbo replacement.

They can also remove the scratches on your front and rear windows from years of wiper scratches.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
About the only way to remove them is with jewlers rouge and a ton of experience. Take it to your local glass shop that isn't a national chain. They can give you a quote for getting rid of it.

If you try it yourself without the power tools, you'll need an total elbo replacement.

They can also remove the scratches on your front and rear windows from years of wiper scratches.

Doug
JC Whitney sells a Cerium Oxide kit, complete with pad that attaches to your power drill. I haven't gotten the nerve to use it, yet. In fact I haven't gotten the nerve to order it yet, but, as bad as my scratches are, I don't think I could screw them up. I was actually in the process of getting a "test window" from eddycat before he left in a huff.

I'd rather have them polished out professionally, but, I'm becoming a real miser in my old age. One thing's for sure: don't even think about having them polished out (yourself, or professionally) until you've replaced the outboard pads that have caused the problem in the first place.

The SVX has both inboard and outboard pads. The outboard pads pick up grit and grime over the years, turning them into sandpaper. That's where the scratches come from. You could try cleaning them, but, I fear that replacement is your best bet to avoid rescratching the surface.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-09-2002, 02:43 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The SVX has both inboard and outboard pads. The outboard pads pick up grit and grime over the years, turning them into sandpaper. That's where the scratches come from. You could try cleaning them, but, I fear that replacement is your best bet to avoid rescratching the surface.
How do I get to them?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

How do I get to them?

Lwin
Sorry to say, you've got to remove the inside door panel, peel back the moisture barrier and, possibly, remove the window glass. You may be able to roll the glass far enough down to pull it back enough to get to the pads, but, my guess is, you'll have to remove the glass.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
I don't think you have to remove the glass. I just had my door panel off last week. If you put the window all the way down, take the panel off, the inside pads are on a bracket that is held on by a single bolt. Remove both the brackets (there are 2 sets of pads - one at the rear of the window and one in the middle). The window will now move enough to give you access to the outer pads which are clipped into the door. You should be able to remove them without removing the glass. (Since I didn't have new ones, I just cleaned all 4 pads with an old toothbrush)
Old 03-09-2002, 06:36 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR
I don't think you have to remove the glass. I just had my door panel off last week. If you put the window all the way down, take the panel off, the inside pads are on a bracket that is held on by a single bolt. Remove both the brackets (there are 2 sets of pads - one at the rear of the window and one in the middle). The window will now move enough to give you access to the outer pads which are clipped into the door. You should be able to remove them without removing the glass. (Since I didn't have new ones, I just cleaned all 4 pads with an old toothbrush)
And how did they turn out? I'm afraid mine are about to cut thru the window.

Randy (Scratch and sniffle with a tear) ii
Old 03-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had the PADS out awhile ago. I took the window out on the driver side. Then on the passenger side Like MoreIBNR said if you take off the inside pads or just move them you can clean the outside pads. I used a flat bladed screw driver to fluff up the pads with out taken them out. It worked okay.

My scratches showed up after driving behind a cement truck that was letting dust fly behind it. I guess it got into the window pads. The pads were really flat and stiff before fluffing them up.

I have also been advised by two glass shops not buffing can over heat and break the glass. So now I think the scratches don't look so bad. This would be a junk yard replacement item for me when the time comes.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
After brushing with an olg toothbrush, they were fluffed up and all the dust and dirt was gone. How long they will stay fluffed is anybody's guess, but I don't plan on checking on them anytime soon.

As for the minor scratches, that should be the worst thing on my 10 year old car with 140,000 miles! I can live with them.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:00 AM
svxeno

I am looking forward to fluffly window guides!!

Randy (Gettin' ready o FLUFF!) ii