Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-03-2003, 12:02 PM

Suspension knock fix?

I have read several threads about knocks coming from the suspension but fortunately my SVX does not suffer from that. However, my recently purchased 93 Legacy did. I replaced all the struts but it did not help. I was ready to tackle the ball joints but someone had suggested greasing the bushings which hold the anti-sway bar to the frame. It worked like magic! No more nasty knocks. I thought I would share this experience which may also apply to the SVX.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Matt,

I thinks it's a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I would like to know if anyone else has had this fix work on the SVX.

John
Old 08-03-2003, 08:19 PM

I can confirm a bushing going bad can produce a suspension knock - the bushings are cheap - and it doesn't have to be totally eaten up to make the noise.

what did you use to grease the bushing? Of course, lately my front seals are leaking so the bushings are getting all the "greasing" they can stand
Old 08-04-2003, 06:13 AM

The bushings were not eaten up at all, just dry. They were D shaped with the flat part up against the frame. I used bearing grease.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM

another thread revival

I removed and greased my rear sway bar bushings yesterday, with the aim of eliminating an odd, muffled thunk that often occured (note past-tense) when the weight of the car shifted. Didn't notice it on the way into work this morning, so hopefully this is another story of a search here resulting in an easy fix. Thanks.

dcb
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I also get a knock from my suspension or so i thought....i looked over at the passenger seat while driving and it jiggled going over bumps causing it to make a knocking noise

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
On something like bushings, try using silicone grease vs wheel bearing grease. Wheel bearing grease and rubber won't play well in the long run. The rubber will degrade faster this way. Just a thought.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 09-01-2004, 05:32 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by alia176
On something like bushings, try using silicone grease vs wheel bearing grease. Wheel bearing grease and rubber won't play well in the long run. The rubber will degrade faster this way. Just a thought.

Ali
Silicone doesn't work as well, since it's 'thin'. Lithium or Bearing grease works a whole lot better, but it's also bad for the rubber, causin the bushing to expand and deteriorate even faster.

Best bet is to get some polyurthane swaybar bushings from Energy suspensions, and use the grease that comes with the kit.

- Jim
Old 09-02-2004, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alia176
Wheel bearing grease and rubber won't play well in the long run. The rubber will degrade faster this way. Just a thought.
I wondered about that as I slathered-on the wheel bearing grease. Guess I'll just monitor the condition of the bushings and see what happens. That definitely was the culprit, though; haven't heard the noise again. Curiously, the bushings were in near-perfect shape (at least visibly), with no deformation, cracks, or obvious deteroriation. Apparently the sway bar would simply load-up and bind in the bushings, and when the weight of the car shifted the other way, the tension released with a very noticable thunk.

dcb
Old 09-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Peach

thunkin

My 92 has that thunk and if the grease thing works I will be very happy, and grateful for all the remedies you SVXers have produced.