SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 02:44 PM
clearwaterms

Question questions about my "new to me" SVX

Okay...

I just purchased a 92 SVX, which has a few problems, which I would like to addr.

#1 The AWD system seems sluggish...

Last night, my buddy was driving and he punched the gas and the front tires lit up (it was raining) and then we felt a jerk and the car took off? It felt like the power to the rear wheels was slow, and ideas? The trans is supposed to be new.

#2 The steering feels notchy, and to light at slow speeds? Could this be that power steering O ring? or possibly bad tie rods?

#3 Suggestions on brakes... The brakes are warped, and they vibrate the steering wheel pretty bad, and they feel squishy, I know this means new rotors, but should I spend the $350 from MSW and get there brakes and pads, or is there a better company out there? I was also looking at possibly some metal Brake lines, they are only $120 and I think they would help with the squishy, along with rebuilding the calipers, with new seals, cleaning them and flushing the brake system. I am fairly handy and have very handy friends to help with the work, so all I need is an idea on parts.

Thanks in Advance
Old 12-07-2001, 07:16 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
I don't personally have the metal brake lines, but based on the positive reports of those who do have them, I plan on installing them relatively soon. They are reported to eliminate some of the "squish" in the brake pedal feel.

ART rotors are probably worth considering, also. I was quoted $350 for the fronts, with pads. They are cryo-treated and slotted. That's what will go on my car soon. They're not that much different from stock rotors, in price.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:43 AM
Lowered SVX

i have the msw rotors.

they are ok. but i think i will get the art rotors nest time. more because they are slotted, rather than cross-drilled, and because they are cryo-treated, which means added durability.

my steering was notchy a couple of weeks ago. come to find out my power steering pump was going out. $330 at subaruparts.com

good luck.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"