Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-23-2001, 08:49 PM
Chad

Question Front rotors

Well,

I was getting a grinding noise from the front right wheel and found out that I am down to the metal on the outside pad.

The inside pad was about 50% and both pads on the left wheel were about 50% too. I replaced the pad about 2 years ago.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is signs of a warped rotor? The outside pad is the only one showing excessive wear.

Two more questions:

1. Can a warped rotor be turned to be true again?

2. If not, If I replace the warped rotor with a new one, will the thickness be an issue against the old one?

TIA for your help.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:54 PM
The Road Less Traveled

On the rotors, as long as it's above minimum thickness, then yes. However, as it gets thinner, its tendency to warp increases as well. So if you took off very little the last time, you might have a fighting chance.

As for one of your pads being worn, I would suspect the slider being the problem.

VK
Old 09-24-2001, 03:31 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Front rotors

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad
Well,

I was getting a grinding noise from the front right wheel and found out that I am down to the metal on the outside pad.

The inside pad was about 50% and both pads on the left wheel were about 50% too. I replaced the pad about 2 years ago.

Sounds to me like the caliper guide pins are seized up. The caliper needs to float so that the pads wear even. Another problem could be that the piston is froze in the caliper. That would keep the pressure on even after you let off of the brakes.

Did you do the brakes yourself? If you did do you remember having a hard time pushing the piston back into the caliper.
Old 09-24-2001, 06:27 PM
Chad

Unhappy New Rotors

I took the rotors down to the local parts store today, and they are barely below the minimum. Looks like I need new rotors.

Anyone know how much x-drilled or ART rotors are? If I'm going to pay the money, I may just go with something worthwhile.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2001, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

New rotor $$

Chad,
This afternoon I purchased new X-drilled, black cadmium plated rotors with carbon-fiber, semi-metallic pads for my 1992. The rotors were $167 ea. and the pads were $56.62. I purchased them from KVR Performance in Ottawa, Canada. They can be found at www.kvrperformance.com and can bereached by phone at (800)636-0854. Ask for Gary S., he's the Sales Manager and a good guy to talk to. Parts should be in about a week.

BTW, I priced new OEM components today from my local dealership and got costs of rotors at $150.00 each and pads at $80.00.

Next step is to remove and disassemble the calipers so that they can be bead blasted and powdercoated, probably black.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Chad

Re: New rotor $$

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
Chad,
This afternoon I purchased new X-drilled, black cadmium plated rotors with carbon-fiber, semi-metallic pads for my 1992. The rotors were $167 ea. and the pads were $56.62. I purchased them from KVR Performance in Ottawa, Canada. They can be found at www.kvrperformance.com and can bereached by phone at (800)636-0854. Ask for Gary S., he's the Sales Manager and a good guy to talk to. Parts should be in about a week.

BTW, I priced new OEM components today from my local dealership and got costs of rotors at $150.00 each and pads at $80.00.

Next step is to remove and disassemble the calipers so that they can be bead blasted and powdercoated, probably black.
Well, Unfortunately this brake job came up at a bad time, so I will have to go with OEM components. subaruparts.com has the rotor for $112 a piece. I think I'll have to go that route for now.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:32 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Re: New rotor $$

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad

Well, Unfortunately this brake job came up at a bad time, so I will have to go with OEM components. subaruparts.com has the rotor for $112 a piece. I think I'll have to go that route for now.

Thanks for the info.
I got my cross drilled / slotted / cadmium dipped rotors for $210 a set from JC. So far I love them. Check my website out if you want a pic of them. By my calculation...that is $14 cheaper than stock.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com