IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2003, 03:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: hmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Sorry, but I cannot get the link to work (sounds interesting)
Weird. Well, then go to www.howstuffworks.com and find your way to the automotive section. You'll find an article in there on torque converters. Sorry about the link...TinyURL has never failed me before...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-06-2003, 03:40 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Many thanks.

I now know about tinyurl too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-06-2003, 04:12 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: hmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

No offense, Sergi, but you really don't know what you're talking about and I fear for the person who takes 'ur' advice.

PS: Sergi, I recommend that you check out this link: http://tinyurl.com/m789. Read the article about 'how torque converters work' and you'll get a better idea of what a torque converter does. While you're there, 'how automatic transmissions work' is also good to read. The AWD in US cars differs in operation compared to yours, but the basic understanding of automatic transmissions and torque converters should help you some.
I agree with your note of caution, but donÕt be too hard on Sergi. English is not his first language and he has simply probably miss used the word Òtorque converterÓ. The centre diff or clutch could be loosely described as such because torque is adjusted front/rear.

He is a bright young guy I assure you and is working hard at English as well as gaining automotive knowledge. He will I am sure appreciate the link and I think I may have also previously mentioned it to him.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:35 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: hmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

I agree with your note of caution, but donÕt be too hard on Sergi. English is not his first language and he has simply probably miss used the word Òtorque converterÓ. The centre diff or clutch could be loosely described as such because torque is adjusted front/rear.

He is a bright young guy I assure you and is working hard at English as well as gaining automotive knowledge. He will I am sure appreciate the link and I think I may have also previously mentioned it to him.
Thanks for your concern, but I don't feel I was too hard on Sergi. I just don't think that starting a car and putting it in gear while lifted in the air is something anybody should try at home. And I especially don't think that you should put the car in gear and then grab a wheel. His suggestion was ludicrous anyway - regardless of his proficiency with English. The AWD system here in the states looks for wheelspin - how is grabbing a rear wheel while the car is in gear going to tell you anything?

Look, I don't mean to offend Sergi. I'm sure he is, as you say, a bright young man. I'm sure he's learning a lot. But in the meantime he shouldn't try to advise people on subjects he knows nothing about.

If I was out to offend the guy, believe me, I would have offended him. But I'm not here to offend people. Instead I gave him a link to some information to help him better understand the subject which is the topic of this thread.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-06-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX
Looking back at my previous post, I can see how my shot at Sergi for replacing 'your' with 'ur' could be seen as hostile. I apologize for that. But my contention that people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't advise people on those topics still stands. Not only does it not help any of us, it could wind up getting somebody hurt.

I can see how somebody's limited grasp of another language might lead to some confusion. So, Sergi, I recommend that in te future if you're confused about a word or its use, please ask. I know that I, for one, would be perfectly willing to help clear up any confusion you might have. Learning a new language (especially one as messed-up as English) is difficult, I know. We're dealing with pretty technical issues, which only makes things more difficult.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-06-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Porter

It is standard procedure at US dealerships to lift the car in the air and run the wheels at low speed to test for center differential problems. The same process occurs during transmission flushes using a circulatory flush system, the vehicle is driven through all the forward gears with the wheels in the air.

If care is taken not to shock-load the drivetrain, there are no adverse results from running a Subaru drivetrain freely while suspended.

All Subaru drivetrains will spin all four wheels when suspended, regardless of initial torque split, i.e. 90/10, 50/50, 45/65, etc.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:39 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
It is standard procedure at US dealerships to lift the car in the air and run the wheels at low speed to test for center differential problems. The same process occurs during transmission flushes using a circulatory flush system, the vehicle is driven through all the forward gears with the wheels in the air.

If care is taken not to shock-load the drivetrain, there are no adverse results from running a Subaru drivetrain freely while suspended.

All Subaru drivetrains will spin all four wheels when suspended, regardless of initial torque split, i.e. 90/10, 50/50, 45/65, etc.
Right, and I've seen this done. But that's on a very beefy lift. My point was that it's probably not something you should attempt at home with jackstands. I also had a problem with Sergi recommending that somebody grab a wheel while it's running. Will it tear your arm off? Probably not. But it also won't answer the questions which started this thread.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-13-2003, 10:36 AM
ChrisR

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

Good info-thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Right, and I've seen this done. But that's on a very beefy lift. My point was that it's probably not something you should attempt at home with jackstands. I also had a problem with Sergi recommending that somebody grab a wheel while it's running. Will it tear your arm off? Probably not. But it also won't answer the questions which started this thread.
I have done this. To all 4 of my Subaru's. Yep the AWD worked all of them. This includes the SVX after I replaced the transfer valve assembly. I also had it running up to 60 mph on the jack stands. That was about 60k miles ago. I did this when I was checking out the transmissions pressures in the different gears as per the FSM. Oh the SVX is still working and yes I was careful not to shock load the drive train.
I found I had to apply a slight brake pressure or the ABS got upset. To do this AWD spinning would be a real disaster on a car with a sticking brake calipher.
Oh yeah, I have also "touched" the spinning rear wheels to make sure there was torque and there was.
From what I have learned about the RWD not working on an AWD Subaru I had to see it to believe it.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
To do this AWD spinning would be a real disaster on a car with a sticking brake calipher.
It's not friendly!

<---*knows from experience*