Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
The Molinator

Question HELP! One Hub Longer!!

NOT REALLY, BUT>>
URGENT! I'm putting my front bearings back in AND ONE AXLE STICKS PAST THE AXLE NUT ABOUT 1/16 INCH [NORMAL] WHILE THE "LONG" HUB ONE HAS THE AXLE NUT FLUSH WITH THE END OF THE AXLE [NOT GOING IN FAR ENOUGH]. I noticed that the hub end did not go in as far [after going thru inner races]. When I checked the ABS sensor, sure enough one is about 1/16 inch away from tone wheel while the other is at least 1/8 inch! When I put the axle nuts on the same discrepancy was found as I mentioned above.

When screwing (HubTamer) this hub in, all seemed to go well, except the discrepancy [didn't seem to go in far enough]. I used the air wrench (carefully) to verify three times that it wasn't going further. Everything went werll, SO I REALLY DON'T WANT TO START OVER AND REMOVE THE HUB, ETC., ETC. The only thing that could explain a hangup would be an unexplained gouge of the metal(?) or the outer seal getting in the way. The hub went in smoothly and without binding or other incident. Also, the outer seal is in proper position because you can see it between the hub and the upright! I REALLY DON'T WANT TO TAKE THIS APART UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY>> I WORK ON MY SVX AT HOME AND THE AIR WRENCH IS TOO NOISY TO USE AT NIGHT [IT WOULD TAKE ME OVER AN HOUR OF THUMPING TO GET IT APART AND BACK TOGETHER- I'D PROBABLY HAVE TO MOVE - - OR QUIT MY JOB (I stayed home today to finish this!)]. I have no other car to use. . . . . . YIKES!!!

Could this be "NORMAL"?
Is there any good explanation for me to take it apart?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-06-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am feeling for you man.
I read your post a few times to understand what is going on. It appears the bearing assembly is not proper. Do realize that what every is stopping the inner hub may move when you drive. I am really hopeing that the inner hub is just not pulled all the way in. Are you sure the outer race went all the way in?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:02 AM
The Molinator

Talking FALSE ALARM>> Sorry!

When I torqued the axlenut, it came in another 1/16 inch to even things out. I don'tknow why the air impact wrench stopped short (?).

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 10-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I guess you are pretty happy about that. Eh?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation UBETCHA!

YUP!