Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
svxpassion

My piston is now in the oil pan.

So I bought my svx in May and I love it. It had a slight knock tho along with the auto being blown. So I dismiss the knock (stupidly but I wanted the car) and do a 5 speed conversion (feel free to clap). But driving the other night I downshift into 2nd only bringing the rpm's up to about 3000 maybe 3500.. and ZING. Engine dies. got the engine out of the car and pulled apart. The #1 pistion is in a kazillion pieces in my oil pan. CRAP. Is the SVX engine supposed to be pretty reliable? I bought an engine from JDM exchange for $900.. (it would cost me $1500 at least to fix mine). Under 50k on the new one!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I seriously doubt your piston is in the oil pan - maybe metallic bits from the liners, etc.

These engines are rock solid when properly maintained. When you buy a used one - you never know what you're getting.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 AM
svxpassion

It's the piston

It's deffinitely the piston. There's remains of the rings as well and the piston pin clips. I had a local engine rebuilder come and look at it. He was impressed with the damage. Lol
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 AM

I can see pieces from the rings/liners/seals getting down there, but the piston itself is a pretty solid piece of metal.

The connecting rod and the crankshaft would have to get out of its way, before it could drop into the oil pan. If you can, take pics of the carnage!

-Chike

Old 09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
svxpassion

Will do

Sure I'll take some pics... Engine guy said it was the piston. It's in really small pieces lol. I'll see what else I can come up with. But I seem to recognize the piston skirt as well as the bottom (there's a groove in some pieces where the rings go. I dunno.
I'll take a picture when I get the time.. busy busy
Paul
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpassion
Sure I'll take some pics... Engine guy said it was the piston. It's in really small pieces lol. I'll see what else I can come up with. But I seem to recognize the piston skirt as well as the bottom (there's a groove in some pieces where the rings go. I dunno.
I'll take a picture when I get the time.. busy busy
Paul
Hmmm...you said you bought it from JDM exchange - sounds like the previous owner must have done some serious damage to it (like run 10+ psi of boost or 150+ shot of NOS!)

-Chike