Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The SVX and you

I need to vent something that has been on my mind lately.

To pre-tense this a little I am sick and tired of hearing a commercial on the radio or TV that uses the phrase "now more than ever" Seriously?? Did you wipe your ass with $100 bills before the recession??

Ok to the point. I have been reading the forums for years now and have seen many members come and go. We are in the middle of the "young" crowd migration and a lot of older members are less frequent. This not a bad thing,as diversity amongst us is what brings us together. But with it the realization that the cars are losing value becomes aparent as the "young" crowd typically has a lower budget. With that being said please take the next couple points to heart before buying an SVX.

1. It is a 16 year old car. It is going to NEED maintenance that may or may not have been kept up on by the previous owners. GET USED TO IT!!

2. Head Gasket failures are becoming more and more common. I have not noticed any particular year, mileage, abusive owners, or any other factor contributing to the cause of failure more than AGE. If you are buying an SVX, expect this repair within the next 3 years at least.

3. The transmissions are FINE! The 1992's did have a string of things wrong with them that caused a premature failure. These have essentially been phased out by remans. Seriously at this point, you need to realize that automatic transmissions from the late 80's are not going to last a hell of a lot longer than 100K especially if they are not maintained and serviced regularly. If you are buying an SVX with the original trans, be skeptical but at this age, it is likely going to be an issue. If you get one with a rebuilt trans, be skeptical but make sure it is serviced often and properly.

4. You are not going to make a 400hp SVX w/ a couple hundred bucks. It is not a modifier's car. It is a fabricator's car to modifiy. You are not gonna find parts on JC Whitney or Summit Racing that will bolt on. EVERYTHING is specialty for this vehicle. Some of us have done our best to convert commonly used parts from other vehicles to adapt to the car. BUT this doesn't mean it is going to be cheap or easy. If you want real performance gains, you will need $10k as a good start.

5. The wheels bearings are not bad by design. Example: I race my 1992 silver w/ 160K on the ODO. It has the factory wheel bearings in it. These are some of the things that are called REGULAR MAINTENANCE. It is possible to deal with a hub that may be out of round. In these select few cases the hub needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Again, it is not the bearing's fault, it is a bad hub. As long as they are installed properly, they will last a long time

6. Exhaust systems are going to rust. You are talking about 16 year old tubing here people. It sees extremely hot temperatures, water, salt, you name it. They are only going to get worse. STOP trying to patch it, have it replaced in sections if you cannot afford to replace the entire exhaust.

7. Rubber, it dries out. Engine mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings, exhaust hangers, control arm bushings, swap bar bushings... These things are going to fail. You own an old car, get used to the idea.

8. Oil Leaks, its a Subaru... its going to happen. FIX THEM! I have seen undercoating wiped off of the bottom of some of the cars that come into the shop because the oil simply breaks it down. It is not helping anything.

9. Services, you want to fix you cam seals after reading point #8. Do you know when the timing belt was changed? Do you know when the water pump was changed?? Are those idlers from 1990 really still good?? These are not questions you need to ask. When taking the timing covers off do the following. Replace the cam seals, cam plugs, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, thermostat gasket, water pump gasket, timing belt, timing belt idlers. This will save you money in the long run because it takes at least an hour to get to any of these to repair on their own. Labor=$ Save money by spending it wisely.

10.This may be the most important of all. It is a 1992-1997 CAR!! Doesn't matter if it is a Subaru or a Ford. It will need maintenance, it will need repairs, and it will need them sooner than you want to believe.

So for you that own them. Start taking care of them and stop *****ing about how expensive they are to have, or sell them to someone who will. For those of you buying them. This will help you be aware of what you are buying into and hopefully guide you in the correct direction with your decision.

I will offend people by making this thread, I hope I enlighten the majority

Tom
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: The SVX and you

Well said. Many times I've be nearly driven nuts by people who own 240s or Civics or Neons (ie; common cars which have a massive aftermarket full of cheap, bolt on parts), who just don't understand that I can't go out and buy a turbo kit or coilover system or stove pipe exhaust.

Unfortunately I think it's the low selling value of our cars that is driving this trend. Young people without a significant budget can buy these cars, but then aren't ready for the cost of repair, which can easily equal the purchase price of a cheaper SVX.

And seriously, budgeting for repair work isn't that hard. I'm a full time student, away from home during the school year, without a loan. I worked through the year and I now have nearly $6000 saved up for my 6MT swap. Two more paychecks and I'll be ready to buy everything.

Reality check people. It looks cool, it looks fast, it looks like it would have a myriad of bolt on parts available, but it's not. It's a 12-17 year old car that never caught on. It was never designed to be cheap, in 1990 or today.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Agreed completely. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX

This thread is full of win. Well said, Tom.
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

THANK YOU TOM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Unfortunately I think it's the low selling value of our cars that is driving this trend. Young people without a significant budget can buy these cars, but then aren't ready for the cost of repair, which can easily equal the purchase price of a cheaper SVX...
Or they buy an SVX. Blow the trans and either part it out or take it to the junk yard.

I'd rather be buying parts for my SVX than spending my money on designer shoes or a purse. A purse is not dragging my @$$ to work everyday.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

When I bought one I put in more repairs cost then what I paid for it . Of course I did preventative maintenance. Adding up my repairs in my Barcelona it was purchased for 2000 dollars and then with in 1 year 1/2 I have put over 4000 dollars back into it. Now the engine is needed to be pulled and HG done on it (I believe). My Emerald I ended up having as much money as I bought it for back in repairs/preventative stuff. Not to scare anyone :O but people needed to know what can happen. Then again sometimes people get them and don't have any problems.

Summary: Repairs exceeded cost of purchase..

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post

Summary: Repairs exceeded cost of purchase..
I would never admit to how much I've spent on the SVX: Somewhere in the ballpark of $15,000
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" SVX. I bought mine for $1k in January needing "nothing but a MAF and a new transmission" according to the previous owner. Familiar story to some on the board, I'm sure. Long story short, I have spent roughly $5000 - $5500 since then just bringing it back from the brink, and I'm far from done. I didn't know it at the time, but it was basically in "parts car" condition when I got it. I feel most would have either scrapped it or parted it out if they had ended up with it and assessed all of the work needed to make it a reliable driver again.

On one hand, I'm glad that another is saved from the scrap heap. But on the other hand - given the money I've spent on it - I could have bought a beautiful SVX with half the mileage and very little work needed in the first place, and had plenty of cash left over to boot.

My car is finally at the point where it is in acceptable (to me) running shape. All major work that still remains to be done mechanically (at least for now) is to reseal the front of the motor, replace belts and crank pulley (all of this will be done this weekend) and track down an annoying EGR problem which has popped up in the last week. Non-essential things still on the to-do list include replacing the doors, having some minor bodywork done, and finally getting a fresh paint job. When all is said and done, I'll probably have close to $10k into it - but at least it'll be a good, solid, presentable car again.

To all potential buyers - save yourself the trouble. Spend more money at the start on a well-cared for car, rather than a "bargain" fixer-upper. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes got to agree with that Tom. What gets me is the US generation (nothing personal) think this car is the same as all the other US cars. " got to do the exhaust and the inlet to free up some HP".
Believe me Subaru has freed up all there is, to get the best out of the engine, the rest takes a lot of money and work.
Not for the pocket money approach.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Well said, Brother YT!

One thing to add. Personally speaking, the SVX offers the unique opportunity to be creative and innovative, due precisely to the fact that so few of them were sold. As you noted, you can't just go to J.C. Whitney or Summit and buy performance parts for it off the shelf. There is a challenge here that not many other cars out there can match.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

If the post wasn't so long i'd have it turned into a decal and put it on my car. This not only educates most of us who already have these great cars but also educates the many SVX nay sayers. I think this should be a sticky..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I think this should be a sticky..
Agreed. 321
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

I agree with you.

And I now drive a 2006 Focus for that reason.

I love the car, have had three of them. Hopefully one day I can get another, but its just not in the picture now. I couldnt rely on it as a DD. Looking back, I should have kept my 92 teal, 500 for trade in was a total rip off. But whatevers clever. I can now go out to my car, and not worry about it not starting.

You have made many points very clear, and did a good job saying it.

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

i want out. that'll happen.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 AM

Registered SVX

I agree with what Tom said.
It is a old car, parts are getting worn.
When I brought mine I did my research and knew what would go wrong then I looked around for the best one I could find at the time.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration