SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Hummer H3

I know this isn't really a group of SUV guys, but I read about the H3 and it looks like hummer finally built something that does what it is suposed to, a less flashey than the H2, with good off road manners, anyone here seen one?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hummers

Hi Napa, One of the Hummers Was rated by some one as the worst in initial quality of all venicles sold in the US in '05. Plus its made by gm and its a SUV. How bad is that? Take care, BOBB
Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The pick-up concept was pretty cool-lookin, and the finished product seems to be shorter than the H2. That latter fact alone makes me happy.

Though I really don't care because I'll never own one, nor will anyone I know.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
SVXtra

I think the H3 is great except for the fact its five cylinder engine is under powered. And the overall reliability of the H2 has improved greatly in the last year.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
I think the H3 is great except for the fact its five cylinder engine is under powered.
Even better.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Good morning!

I figure that the 6 cylinder engine would be availible next year, it would be sweet to see it offered as a diesel, it seems hummer has gotten off their bum to build a good vehicle, maby I'll go look at them next week...
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I figure that the 6 cylinder engine would be availible next year, it would be sweet to see it offered as a diesel, it seems hummer has gotten off their bum to build a good vehicle, maby I'll go look at them next week...
From my understanding dumb idiots at GM designed it so the 6 didn't fit into the platform (same as the cayon pu). As for the h2 it is nothing more than a glorified Suburban with not nearly as much room, lots more weight and beefy tow hooks so a H1 can pull it out of trouble. I've driven maybe 10 different ones back at MAA and honestly it can't hold water against a stock Wrangler off road. Sure the original hummer is a decent vehicle but it would never fit on most eastern jeep trails plus the army never showed the pictures of them sinking in the Somolian sand back in the early 90s.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
The trouble with driving something that kicks butt off road on a regular basis is that it is a PITA to drive on road, and the hatred for SUVs baffels me, why no equal hatred for full sized trucks?
I hate large trucks even more than SUVs. I'm amazed how many people drive enormous trucks as though they were commuter vehicles. There seems to be a relationship between the size of the truck and how often it is used as a truck. The big ones actually seem to be used as a truck less often, which suggests that their primary purpose is as an extension of manhood. Most truck owners would be better served by a van or SUV, and most SUV owners would be better served by a van. Van's just aren't cool I guess. That's the marketing genius of SUVs. "Let's take a van, make it 4WD and give it some wild styling, and promote it as an adventure vehicle for manly men." Obviously, it was a good plan. Today people are left with fewer choices when it comes to vans because all the development has gone into SUVs. Not that SUVs are necessarily bad - they're not a horribly awful alternative - but a 4WD Astro van is just as functional, and the majority of owners will never use the 4WD, let alone need it.

Stock 4x4 today? Still a Unimog.

Speaking of PITA to drive on-road, I've always wanted a Ural 5323, or a TATRA. I'm not sure what for, but I've always wanted one.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
There seems to be a relationship between the size of the truck and how often it is used as a truck. The big ones actually seem to be used as a truck less often, which suggests that their primary purpose is as an extension of manhood.

Actually the relationship has more to do with safety than expressing manhood. With more and more women with families buying large trucks and SUVs each year than ever before. Women are certainly not trying to express there manhood when they purchase a large truck. No indeed. The vast majority of truck owners purchase them because they feel safer in a large heavy high riding vehicle that has four season capability often times; and all the comfort and safety features of a modern sedan.

Last edited by SVXtra; 08-08-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
Actually the relationship has more to do with safety than expressing manhood. With more and more women with famlies buying large trucks and SUVs each year than ever before. Women are certainly not trying to express there manhood when they purchase a large truck. No indeed. The vast majority of truck owners purchase them because they feel safer in a large heavy high riding vehicle that has four season capability often times; and all the comfort and safety features of a modern sedan.

This is actually what worries me most about SUVs, when you drive a large vehicle because it is safer you take on the responsibility of being a safer driver so you don't wind up being the battering ram to someone else, but it seems that as with Volvo drivers SUV drivers become less carefull because what the he!!, they are safe...
Old 08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Tim-H

One word UNIMOG. Thats probobly one of the few " offroaders " id drive. If it was built right anyway. There are so many different styles.

Last edited by Tim-H; 08-08-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
SVXtra

The Unimog has more gears than an antique clock...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
I hate large trucks even more than SUVs. I'm amazed how many people drive enormous trucks as though they were commuter vehicles. There seems to be a relationship between the size of the truck and how often it is used as a truck. The big ones actually seem to be used as a truck less often, which suggests that their primary purpose is as an extension of manhood. Most truck owners would be better served by a van or SUV, and most SUV owners would be better served by a van. Van's just aren't cool I guess. That's the marketing genius of SUVs. "Let's take a van, make it 4WD and give it some wild styling, and promote it as an adventure vehicle for manly men." Obviously, it was a good plan. Today people are left with fewer choices when it comes to vans because all the development has gone into SUVs. Not that SUVs are necessarily bad - they're not a horribly awful alternative - but a 4WD Astro van is just as functional, and the majority of owners will never use the 4WD, let alone need it.

Well, that I can't disagree with
Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Not that SUVs are necessarily bad - they're not a horribly awful alternative - but a 4WD Astro van is just as functional, and the majority of owners will never use the 4WD, let alone need it.

Speaking of PITA to drive on-road, I've always wanted a Ural 5323, or a TATRA. I'm not sure what for, but I've always wanted one.
Yep. 4WD Astro's should suffice. I drove one and I liked it...the interior could have been better, but oh well..can't have everything.

You beat me to the punch. I was about to link to the TATRA and Ural's.
I was riding next to a Tatra one the other day and while I was checking out the dude's ride, he was checking out my SVX.

Tatra or Ural > stupid ass hummer.

oh yeah that tatra had tons of mud all over it...all the hummer's i've seen are shiny and flawless..

hmm...i'd like to buy a tatra actually...and mount a .50 cal on it as well.

Last edited by Noir; 08-10-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Good morning!

I decided to stop by and look at these yesterday, drove a 5 speed/cloth interrior and an automatic/leather, and I really liked the leather. They are big and purpose built for offroad, an actual SUV, not a big 4x4 wagon like most new SUVs, don't have enough power to make me happy, but I looked under the hood and there is plenty of room for the I6, I would expect to see that next year. The H3 dosn't have the silly star wars dash of the H2, it actually looks like an automobile interrior, and dosn't feel as if it is cheap, all of the other SUVs/pickups I have looked at have had the matchbox feeling to the interrior, this one feels quallity, when it gets a bigger engine it should be perfect for someone who likes to take their brand new truck off road...or in 10 years people who actually do take their trucks off road can buy from the yuppy who never took it off road