How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
November 2001 is just a few months after the big tropical storm Allison (sp) roared through Houston and turned it into a lake. For this reason I wouldn't be surprised if your car was flooded.

Driving into a river would be considered flooded assuming the event was reported to insurance. If the owner had the car pulled out then cleaned it up themselves then it wouldn’t be considered flooded on the title or in CARFAX as it wasn’t reported.

It's not that hard to tell if the car was flooded. Most of the things you mention lead to the flooded conclusion. Water in the trunk doesn't however since water can get in past the tail light gaskets (dried out nonsealing rubber parts are common on older Texas cars.)

The other way to see if the car was flooded is to look under parts that aren't easily removed to wash. Try looking down into the vents in the top of the dash or remove interior parts, lift the carpet, etc. It is possible that they pressure washed the interior of the car to get the dirt out but that doesn't get everything. Large amounts of corrosion on wires and in plugs are a good indication of flooding. In short, cleaning the interior of a flood car is a nightmare; to do it right requires a lot of work. I had a 92 Prelude that I bought in Louisiana that had been flooded to the roof during TS Allison...it took me about 3 months to get it done to my satisfaction including completely striping the interior and pressure washing it out.

I bought my 92 SVX in Houston last summer and it doesn't have any rust anywhere that I can locate so I think it’s a good comparison to yours. A lot of Houston used car dealers few kind of shady. The one I bought my car from had that feeling due to its location but the guys there were pretty cool. I have however had to replace just about every piece of rubber in the engine bay (I don’t blame the dealer for that, just the Houston weather).

Hope this is of some use…
Kurt
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 03-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I also have some reason to believe my SVX was at least partially flooded. I noticed stains on the carpet under the driver's seat that shouldn't have been there and wouldn't show up from normal use.

I do know the car came from Quebec and there's rust on the driver's side floor and even rust on the brake lever under the dash.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
thanks Kurt

Kurt!

Thanks for the valuable info. I will do a close checkup this coming up saturday. Although it seem like that even if the car was flooded, it was partially floded, at least you may not tell if the water was inside the car or not. I need to pick up the floor, and see underneeth.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Earthworm,

I wouldn't take stains or rust on odd spots in/on a car to be indicative of flooding (not to say its impossible that the car was flooded). Things have an odd way of doing stuff that’s not pleasant. Internal nontreated metal parts like to rust, especially in northern environments. It is possible that a previous owner left the sunroof or a window open and rain got into the car. That might explain the rust and stains. Also for the stains, something could have been spilled and ignored.

Kurt (always trying to see the lighter side of potential flood cars)