Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-21-2003, 04:56 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
acutally Mike, i just want some encouragement...and some reminder of a reason that i have this car...and want to keep it...i just hate fixing one thing and having another thing go bad, it so fustrating...i knew you guys would tell me to keep it...it is just i want to know if anyone gets this fustration about this car like i do...or do i have a cursed svx that is destined to die...and die soon...

Kelli
Kelli,
Believe me, you're not alone! Over the past 3 years, we have sunk entirely too much money into this car. But I cannot imagine not having her, even on the days when I just want to push her over a cliff.
Hang in there girlfriend!

~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Hater

sorry about all the bad luck.....
there are two ways to look at it -

1. at the rate you're going, not much more can go wrong. you will have a new SVX soon, piece by piece

2. the car is a moneypit, and it might be best to cut your losses. you could always get a newer one that has been well taken care of, and maybe the extra you'd spend would mean less time in the shop for repairs.

i love my car, but when it starts spending more time in my garage or the shop for repairs than on the road, its outta here! its a great car, but its just a car. being a discontinued unpopular low-volume production car doesn't help, because in the future, more and more parts are going to be discontinued. we've already seen grey floormats, and '97 grilles go bye-bye. what happens when the important stuff is no longer available? this probably isn't going to be a popular outlook around here, but i'm just being realistic. BTW, i hope everyone's SVX lasts for many trouble-free miles!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Unstoppable

Don't lose hope, one day all the problems will be fixed, and when that day comes im sure you'll say I'm glad I didn't sell the SVX. Don't wanna sound cliched or anything, but its always darkest before the dawn. Oh wait, that was a cliche. Darn it! Oh well, can't wait to get mine, so I can have this sort of fun. Your car doesnt take on a true personality until you start swearing at it....
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
I hate to see a young fella worry too much. Sooooooo, how about I send you $500 and you tell me where the car and title are. Then-----------you wouldn't have to worry.

Lee

SVXx4
Old 02-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by lhopp77
I hate to see a young fella worry too much
Are you gonna take that from him Kelli?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Are you gonna take that from him Kelli?
I can hit him for you if you want.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

The worst time to buy parts is when, "I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE THEM NOW BECAUSE THE CAR'S IN THE SHOP AND I NEED THE CAR FOR MY JOB AND IF I CAN'T GET TO MY JOB I CAN'T AFFORD THESE EXPENSIVE PARTS THAT I NEED MY JOB FOR".

OK - I've been fairly lucky. In the two year, 40K-ish bonding I've had with mine, I'd say the only SVX bug-a-boo to appear was the demise of one wheel bearing. Along the way though, I've been purchasing some parts that I KNOW will be needed in the future. Since I'm not desperate for the parts, I have time to shop for better deals (e.g. iRotors brake rotors, etc.) No, I don't have a spare tranny, but anything else that I find for sale here (parting out), I'll sometimes bid on. Sure - the day will come when the car will no longer be affordable as a daily driver, but by that time we all know the SVX will be declared a true classic, & Earl will gladly pay top dollar for his "Every model, every year, every color" museum.

Keep it Kelli, or buy a newer one.
SVX - a state of mind (or mindlessness?)

Ron (proud of my parts).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 PM
SVXdriver_007

I can sit here at my computer and look out the window at my driveway. I don't see an SVX right now because it is at SUBAFREAKS garage, and I wont take delivery of another one for a weak or so. What I do see right now is a Honda Civic a very reliable Civic that hasn't cost me more tha 500$ at one time. A Civic that i can drive at 80mph and still get 30 m iles to the gallon, thats right a Civic, no tranny problem, no bearing problems, no bad rotors, no power sterring problems. Just another everyday, average, run of the mill, nothing special, no character having PLAIN old Civic.

You get the point.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Kelli, keep your chin up

I know it's frustrating sometimes. I was telling Randy a while back about my decision to dump mine just before I found the support group here (<standing>Hi, my name is Todd......and I drive an SVX<sitting down>). I was frustrated by the seemingly never-ending expenditures. I had just replaced the automatic trans and thought that was most likely the best time to sell. I found the group, personally met some of the nicest people (both here and overseas) and deceided to hold on to the SVX.

I'm in a slightly different situation than you are now, as the SVX is a third car plying a supporting role and if it screws up, I'll fix it later. But I plan to keep it until some yet to be determined point in the future.

Good luck,

Todd

PS - is anyone else here scared about Ron being proud of his parts
Old 02-22-2003, 09:40 AM

I too am proud of my parts (especially the one I installed or fixed myself)
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: it'll get better kelli

kelli, sorry to hear about all your problems. here is something that may help. i recommend that you save up and get a second used car that won't cost much. like a civic or corolla. that way you know if one car's shot you can run the other one while it's getting fixed. ron also has a point about parts. if you see something that you "may" need in the future, start saving for it. the reason i spent 4.8k on mine was to replace most parts that wear out with an older car (belts, hoses, rotors, brakes, bearings, axles, calipers, tune up, oil change, most of the seals, tranny filter, tranny cooler, etc.). also since i don't trust mechanics that much, i took it to two places to have them do an inspection. first is subaru which they charged me $38 bucks for and came up with a nice list of stuff to repair. then to another mechanic that did it for free since i was going to take the svx there to get fixed. the list turned out to be similar. then started going through the list by order of importance. then you'd should be ok.

also if you think, screw the shop, i'd say go to a community college and grab some courses on doing mechanic work. i thought to myself, screw it, why am i paying so much money to wait? i mean my mechanic told me to find and order the parts myself, i might as well do the repair too. found out that it costs $125 for a class and a total of 8 classes over time should handle it. it's only 1 night a week for 2 months 3-4 hours for that night. you get to use their shop and tools and ask the people who work there. you'd save alot of money and time there. and you can anticipate when things go wrong. funny thing is that i talked a few friends to join me in the automotive classes at that community college, it's a small price to pay for a feeling of being in control which is basically what you want. you want to be sure that the car is reliable and get a peace of mind from it.

well good luck! think i've dumped in more money than the car's worth, but i plan to keep it for a long, long, long time (unless financial difficulties forces me to sell). that's why i want to rebuild it
Old 02-22-2003, 10:18 AM

i would love to get a beater...right now i work two part time jobs to pay my way through college. i go to a small community college that doesn't offer things on auto mechanics...we do have music class!!(big deal)....i would do it, i don't have the money to pay for extra classes. when i am done with school and working...i will probably do that, i always wanted to. but right now, i am living month by month praying that nothing goes wrong with my car...and as it is going right now, i am almost out of savings..that means i am going to have no money to do anything really soon...so i can't even think about extra classes or second cars...sometimes i just feel like i have fallen into a hole that i am never going to get out of...i love this car to death, and that is why i bought it in the first place...i spent the extra money at the time to get the car that i really fell in love with...and now she is killing me...

thanks for the encouragement, i guess i have to keep her...i really have no other choice...but i don't want to let her go either...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i would love to get a beater...right now i work two part time jobs to pay my way through college. i go to a small community college that doesn't offer things on auto mechanics...we do have music class!!(big deal)....i would do it, i don't have the money to pay for extra classes. when i am done with school and working...i will probably do that, i always wanted to. but right now, i am living month by month praying that nothing goes wrong with my car...and as it is going right now, i am almost out of savings..that means i am going to have no money to do anything really soon...so i can't even think about extra classes or second cars...sometimes i just feel like i have fallen into a hole that i am never going to get out of...i love this car to death, and that is why i bought it in the first place...i spent the extra money at the time to get the car that i really fell in love with...and now she is killing me...

thanks for the encouragement, i guess i have to keep her...i really have no other choice...but i don't want to let her go either...

Kelli
Kel,

The name of the game is "knowing when to quit"
With the SVX, since many of use are not 1st owner (some 4th), you don't know who abused your baby. You have to draw a line somewhere though. I say if you sink in twice or more for the price of the car and if the car is only usable about 60% of the year due to the fact that it is in the shop the other 40%, then dump her by all means. Screw the commitment issues. People break up with the S.O.s all the time. People get divorces. Same thing with the car and yourself. If you love the SVX so much, get another one, or two, or in some cases 4 . But remember, at the end of the day, it is a 10 year old car and it will die eventually. Sorry about the morbid thoughts but it is true.

Well, what ever you decide to do, keep her, toss her, we'll be here and you can always talk to us (me).

L
Old 02-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: by the way

how much longer do you have to be in school? it'll get better once you're out i think. well i hope. economy being $hitty and all. nursing should pull in a pretty penny. one of the few things that will always be needed.

doctors, nurses, mechanics, gas stations, plumbers
Old 02-22-2003, 11:24 AM

i graduate in May of 2004...and yes of course, i won't have problems paying to have her fixed. i'll be living with my mommy rent free.......

it is just the chain of reactions that is going down that is keeping me down...i can't even drive it anymore without having to turn down the stereo for a minute and listening to another new noise!

i want to keep her...i know one more year and i won't have to worry about it any more... i just can't let go

KEEPING HER UNTIL SHE DIES

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.