How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2003, 11:47 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

A New Color for my baby (suggestions).......

Hey all. I was thinking the other day as I was looking at a picture of my car, I don't like green anymore........ ........ Suddenly I foung myself looking at my car in a completly diffrent light... Almost as if it wasn't the car that I love.. I can't describe it very well..... Anyway the point of all this is that I was thinking of a new color... Well two actually.... I was wanting something that stood out (unlike green).... I love the liquid silver, like Solar's car but I want something with color to it... Then I saw a picture of a SVX in Australia that is Yellow..... WOW I thought, it looks like a farrari!!!!! But too bright.... I figured, well how about Black and an Orange (tangarine or something)...... What do ya think???? Any color suggestions??? About how much does a paint Job like that cost (high gloss)

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Paint

A proper show paint job is around $7k. You can get it down a little by doing some of the prep work yourself but really paint is not something you want to go cheap on. That is unless your a fan of orange peels.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:07 PM
hotshoe50

costs???

Benebob....

I think we have had a couple of disagreements in the past but I have to call time on this issue....

Sure a show car paintjob might cost $7000. but get realistic man!!

Anybody can pick up an OK SVX for 2500-5000 dollars and mechanicals aside, would be STUPID to spend $7K on a paint job. He would still have a $2500-5000 car with nice paint....

A reasonable repaint in the same color as the car is should be able to be done for $1500. [bodywork OK] and $2200 if there is a change knowing that the underhood, door jambs, etc are not going to be perfect but will be painted in the new color.

Don't get brainwashed that it costs $3000 plus to spray $300 worth of paint on your car

Hotshoe
Old 02-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: paint puke

i just got an estimate for a paint job with removal of dings. the quote was for 2200 bucks for base + clear coat. actually it was like 3 thousand something, but because i knew the owner, i got a cheaper price. i thought about liquid silver or midnight blue. but orange would really be puke in my opinion. it's like painting a mercedes 500sel orange. sure it looks good on a civic if you're a ricer, but on an svx? yuck. i've seen a yellow one in atlanta years back but it seems to be gone now. it looked ... um.. ok, but not for my taste. good luck airforce wannabee.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:47 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
You can see a few pics of a yellow SVX in my locker if you want.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:49 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
P.S. elminoalex also has a yellow one, but it is very modified. The one in my locker is stock looking. Depending on what you want to see.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: A New Color for my baby (suggestions).......

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Then I saw a picture of a SVX in Australia that is Yellow..... WOW I thought, it looks like a farrari!!!!! But too bright.... I figured, well how about Black and an Orange (tangarine or something)...... What do ya think????
If you think orange is less bright than yellow, I think you must be color-blind.

Somebody on this forum resprayed their black SVX yellow, and in my opinion (sorry, Aredub), it looks pretty nice. There's also a picture somewhere of Mr. and Mrs Aredub standing by a Chiquita Banana SVX outside a Banana Republic store - with the exception of the big Chiquita sticker on the hood, it also looks pretty nice.

Michelle (thndrmtn92svx) resprayed hers copper and it looks fabulous in the pictures (haven't seen it in person yet).

I'm kinda fond of a pale gold metallic and pale green metallic, but have no idea what they'd look like on an SVX.

Black + orange = Halloween. I wouldn't recommend it.
2001 Outback Sport

Last edited by sfsvx; 02-21-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:16 PM

why don't you just go back to your roots and get it camouflage....

WAIT!!! ONLY KIDDING

i always wanted to paint mine a velvete purple color..

for you...mustang blue is nice...silver is awesome....michelle's color is cool in pics(haven't seen it either), baby blue would look cool with fog tint...i think a mellow yellow would make it look like a taxi...and the bright yellow is just that...too bright...not bad, just too much...um...PINK?

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Green1995SVX

Green-

I got my car repainted by a High School Autobody class. The final results were really fantastic. I'm very happy with it. It looks better, overall, than the $3000+ paint job on my other car. I did, though, stay with the same color. The 94-95 Emerald Pearl is fairly rare as far as SVX colors go, and i love the way it looks when the light hits it! Thats just me.

Mike
Old 02-21-2003, 01:17 PM
92SvxChick

Paint job prices...

Hey guys,

I work at a body shop and $2000 is really cheap for a paint job. A color change is an imence amount of work. In most cases you have to take out 9/10ths of the under hood components, doors off trunk off...on the SVX the lower plastic door covers, door handles ect....And that's considering absolutely no body work... A base color change here starts at about $2200... Add on the high glamor clear and all the extras people usually want and there's a good chance that the price will go up alot. People act like that's alot for a paint job but you get what you pay for! We're not talking a Maaco paintjob here. People never will understand the amount of time that goes into an overall paintjob... There's bodywork, sanding, priming, sanding again, taping up the car(which is no easy task), basing and clearing, and yet again wet sanding and buffing. Besides the cost of materials and paint...and the auto body labor rate of $48.00 an hour...anything under $3000 is a cheap paintjob. We did a Chromaillusion paintjob(color changing paint) on a 94 Twin Turbo Supra that ran the kid about $7000. Now that was a show car keep in mind. Body work is an art and everyone and there brother thinks that they can do it but if you want a quality paintjob...you're going to have to loosen those purse strings.

Megan
Old 02-21-2003, 01:19 PM
92SvxChick

Mustang Blue

When I paint mine...if I decide to change the color... It will no doubt be the new Mustang Blue!

Megan
Old 02-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Multi colour

Some of the colours you see on new Alfas have a different colour in the flake, and look different depending on the angle. A dark one of these would look good on an SVX, because the SVX has the curves to show off such a paint.

In Devon last year for the 10th Anniversary, my son John and I say a TVR with a stock multicolour paint on it. The car looked fabulous!! Main colour was a deep dark purple plum colour, but at certain angles it was a strong metallic grass green.

Reckon that colour would look so fine on an SVX.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: megan

hey megan what's a good price for a decent paint job for our svx's w/changing color? will your boss give us a group paint discount . maybe have a meet up there ;D
Old 02-21-2003, 01:33 PM
92SvxChick

Group discount

Hey guys,

He says get 10 people to do it and it would be $1600 a piece...and it will be more for substancial body work.
Group paintjobs...now that's a post i've never seen before!!!

Megan
Old 02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: costs???

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
Benebob....

I think we have had a couple of disagreements in the past but I have to call time on this issue....

Sure a show car paintjob might cost $7000. but get realistic man!!

Anybody can pick up an OK SVX for 2500-5000 dollars and mechanicals aside, would be STUPID to spend $7K on a paint job. He would still have a $2500-5000 car with nice paint....

A reasonable repaint in the same color as the car is should be able to be done for $1500. [bodywork OK] and $2200 if there is a change knowing that the underhood, door jambs, etc are not going to be perfect but will be painted in the new color.

Don't get brainwashed that it costs $3000 plus to spray $300 worth of paint on your car

Hotshoe

Like I said for a proper show paint job you're looking at around 7 grand. Sure you can get a car painted for $200 if you really want to or you can spend $2000 and get a decent job (if you don't mind overspray inside where they aren't gonna paint over the original color) Like you said you can pick up a driver SVX if you look real good for under 3k which in reality if you don't like the color and would be fine with another SVX color this would be the cheapest way to go but really if money is not a concern to keep you attached to your SVX a show quality paint job would be the best way to go. You do definately get what you pay for when it comes to paint jobs. As soon as my brat is back in the living paint is the next step for her and yes I'll probably try to keep it under $2k for painting and body work but then again. Its a 17 year old vehicle that has 200k miles on it. It just wouldn't look right with a better paint job than it originally came with. Besides, I only have a single car garage and the SVX really wants it back!