How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-17-2003, 01:44 AM

Registered SVX
Randy,

My observation is that those who flame and upset the previous pleasant atmosphere we previously enjoyed, without fail use uncouth and objectionable language. I include the use of e.g. f***** or whatever, as the implication is still perfectly clear. This thread carries an indication of what I am on about.

If this language was censored at least to some degree those concerned would have to think a little more before posting and this could have the desired effect. I am not a prude and agree that many words, otherwise uncouth and obectionable, can be used in bawdy humorous context without giving offence and in many instances can be welcome as adding colour. However such language should not be tolerated in any form involving, associated with, or inferring personal affront.

I regret that I am having rather similar thoughts to yours which is a great shame.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:04 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes. The unhappy can leave. I've tried to weather this "phase" but am becoming weary of it. I am just short of the borderline of unhappiness. Perhaps it's time for me to resign this board. It's been fun, up 'til now.

As being a member since the first day, im out. This will be my last post. Ive been snooping around a midwest import board that has a very interesting group of people who are very tolerent(more my age also) reguarding cars as they have all different kinds and tastes. This board has turned into nothing more then a popularity contest, and i for one find it appauling(and no i dont know if i even spelled it right) People turn every thread into a joke or amake an off topic post/reply merely to seem cool or get their post #'s up. Look at all you people sitting here cutting each other down. NEVER would this have happened if it werent for the "no balls needed" approach(sorry kelli ). Treat poeple like people, and i hope i can visit this board in a few months and everything is sorted.
sincerely,
phil gantz
p.s. if you would like to keep in touch, feel free to email me at bigdhilll@aol.com or IM me at bigdhilll Goodbye

Last edited by Phast SVX; 01-17-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

I got multiple suggestions today to open an off-topic forum. Should we?

Mike
I'm going to risk replying to your post Mike, without reading the rest of the thread yet. By the time I finish the thread this may have been answered already.

My question would be, if you started an off-topic forum, what would be left to discuss in the General SVX Babble Forum? Everything else is technically covered by one of the other forums, people just don't use them right (most likely because they don't know, or they feel they'll get a quicker tech answer or more views posting in Babble).

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
An observation and comment

I had never visited any other car club sites until I bought my Focus. I checked out several sites dedicated to that car, and what I found was very interesting. The differences in the design of the site, and similarities to this one....but the biggest difference was regarding member-to-member contact in the posts. There was practically NONE! Someone would ask a question, perhaps two or three would answer, and that was the end of it. Everything was so compartmentalized, that people could be on the same site for months and never cross paths. They may meet each other at an organized event, but their contacts after that must be by email or in a chat room. To sum it up....the sites are almost DEAD compared to ours. This goes back to a basic question that has been raised before; it this site about factual SVX information? A forum for friendly discussions? Both? and how should it be structured and regulated?
If you go to a ball game, the thing you share with the others in the park is the love of the team and the game. You may sit next to people that share the same feelings about individual players or some other aspect of the game, and enjoy their company. You may observe someone three rows in front of you with their hair in orange spikes and no t-shirt screaming their lungs out for the same team. Not your style perhaps, but they are fans too. The drunk guy behind you that curses constantly in front of your kid and spills beer on your wife....well, he might be asked to leave by security . When you open a door and let people into anything from a ball game to a website, you are going to get all kinds of people. Some will become instant friends and others.... well you hope they don't show up at the next meet that you attend.
ISN'T THAT LIFE, FOLKS?
Is it really any different anywhere where people of different ages, backgrounds, and cultures are brought together with the prime bonding agent being....A CAR???????
But where groups of people meet, there are always rules. Some written, others unwritten. Somewhere between "sterile" and "chaos" there must be a happy medium. I hope wiser heads than I can work it out. But nothing is going to scare me off; I teach in Middle School for Pete's sake!
My classroom is made up of a very diverse group of LD and MI students. I have the poor and the rich, boys and girls, from three ethnic backgrounds at last check. By and large, we get along great. BUT I have some simple rules for my classroom, and each student signs onto my program before each school term begins. When the rules are broken, first I move them within the classroom, we discuss the problem, and I call the parents. Next I move them into the hall and we re-discuss the problem and I call the parents. Then they move to the office and someone else can try an attitude adjustment and call the parents. It is then no longer my problem, and I can get back to teaching. I for one, am no more going to consider leaving this site, than I would, letting some child take over my classroom.
My friends are here, and this is where I am staying. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 01-17-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Green1995SVX

Well... there are those posts like 'i saw this svx' or 'today i did this to my svx' etc etc. I dont know.. Good argument, Troy.

Mike
Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Well... there are those posts like 'i saw this svx' or 'today i did this to my svx' etc etc. I dont know.. Good argument, Troy.

Mike
Okay, I've caught up on the rest of the thread and kinda sad to see some of the posts. I hope things get worked out around here and we don't lose anyone.

Yeah, Mike, I've been sitting here trying to think of what other odds and ends would qualify as General SVX Babble and you hit on some good ones. I guess what would happen if all OT threads were moved, and if people actually posted about meets, mods, and tech ?'s, in the appropriate forums, there would still be a couple threads left for this forum. Not many, but a few, which is fine, it would be easier to keep up on. I think right now a lot of people view General Babble as the first place they go when they log in to see what everyone is up to, some may never even get out to the other forums. I'll admit I'm guilty of posting about an upcoming meet or something that should go in another forum because I know some of the locals don't visit our area forum.

Whatever you mods decide to do with this issue is cool by me.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: An observation and comment

My friends are here, and this is where I am staying. Don [/B][/QUOTE]

My friend Don has eloquently analogized my feelings, so I'll condense the usual rhetoric.

It was either Ann Landers or sister Abby who always asked those Men & Women with Men & Women problems, to ask themselves, " Am I better off WITH (him/her), or WITHOUT (him/her). PERIOD. Then, stay or leave accordingly.

A website is merely a watering hole for willing travelers. If you find a better oasis, go drink there. If not, stick around. All water everywhere eventually rises or falls to the same level anyway.

At least, here, I've learned to tell the piranhas from the anglefish.

Good day everyone.

Ron (In for the long haul)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 01-17-2003 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:28 AM

Hey guys...what are we doing here...??? don't let this move you away. some of you been here since day one (Randy for one) it isn't fair that one member would cause enough problems for everyone to want to leave, Phast, i haven't really gotten to know you at all, but you seem real nice, i don't want to see you leave just like i don't want to see anyone leave. i am through feeding into flame wars. if someone says something that i don't agree with, i may tell them i disagree, but that is about it. i am not going to sit there and try to hammer a nail into lead with a sheet of glass, because it isn't going to work. you can't change someone's opinion on fact or taste. you can show your opinion and make it known, but you can't go around trying to convert people to your style of believing. Randy, i remember the first post i did, i actually went back and read the whole thing. a lot of those members that dealt with my stupidity are still around and helping people as much as they can, that is what it is about. i remember when you asked me if i could get the material from the sunroof because yours has a ciggie burn in it. i went into a damp nasty crashed svx in the rain to try to get it out for you. i would have given it to you in reading free of charge because of all the help, but it was in really bad shape.

guys come on...please don't be last posting and saying goodbye, i want to see a full house at reading this april

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:12 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Gosh guys! *sniff*
I can't believe what this has turned into. I agree with everything everyone else has said above. And I truly can't believe that what spawned a beautiful thing in Indiana last July can be so demoralized by a handful of "newbies" who just don't really yet understand.
I admit that I was off the boards for quite some time this past fall due to some personal issues, but also because I no longer cared for the tenor of the threads.
However, since I've been back, I've come across lots of the old society around, and some great new people. I still recommend this site. In fact, I'm going to try to post a flyer about our CO meet down at the dealership, and I'm adding the website address to try to encourage more to chime in.
We can't give up! Those who are the backbone of this site need to stay around!! Please!! The rest of us will all go insane!

~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 01-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Folks!

Why do folks post O/T stuff. Have you ever been so excited about something if you did not tell someone, you were going yo burst? What better folks to tell but your FRIENDS at the svx site. Somebody got their order from somewhere. Someone or someones friend etc. did something they were proud or happy about. As Don pointed out about the FOCUS sites. All SVX and no play make John/Jane a dull person. So be glad people have something going besides a car. After all iits just transportation. This is from an SVX owner that has spent $11,00.00 on his "just transportation" since last summer. If you don't like O/T don't read them. BOBB
Old 01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Folks!

Why do folks post O/T stuff. Have you ever been so excited about something if you did not tell someone, you were going yo burst? What better folks to tell but your FRIENDS at the svx site. Somebody got their order from somewhere. Someone or someones friend etc. did something they were proud or happy about. As Don pointed out about the FOCUS sites. All SVX and no play make John/Jane a dull person. So be glad people have something going besides a car. After all iits just transportation. This is from an SVX owner that has spent $11,00.00 on his "just transportation" since last summer. If you don't like O/T's don't read them. BOBB
Old 01-17-2003, 01:05 PM
flatsix92

I don't see anythign wrong with O/Ts. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with these forums. Yeah, Randy is threatening to leave, but I don't see why.

Does anyone remember name calling, threats, or abusive posts lately? I don't.

Does anyone remember ANY 'problem' posts lately? I don't.

I think this place is great- and its about a great car. But like Bobb said, people can own things besides cars, its what makes conversations more interesting.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:15 PM

it seems that people need to either grow up or maybe be banned or something. if a few people are the reason for people who have been on these boards for years to leave, then thats ridiculous. i have been a member since july of '02 and as of the past 3 months, the atmosphere has gone downhill. i think maybe censor certain language, ban certain people, and create an OT forum.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

banning

Isn't it nice to watch someone grow and mature on the site? I don't want to look over my shoulder ond see the stuff i've done. A'int growin up grand. What was I thinking! BOBB
Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flatsix92
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with these forums.
Do you see anything wrong with someone telling you your uniquely chromed rims look like cheap $5 KMART hubs?
It's the overall attituded and lack of respect.