Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 08:06 PM
greg

UNINSURED MOTORIST

If you have liability insurance you should also have uninsured motorist. If that is the case, you can get a police report and file the claim as a hit and run. Hit and run applies to uninsured motorist too. Good luck, sorry to hear about the damages (again).

-G
Old 11-25-2002, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Okay, that was rude.

I'm pretty certain that every insurance company that I've dealt with in every state I've lived in has treated comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, etc.) as a separate part of the policy.

The states I have lived in have required at least liability insurance. If you want comprehensive beyond that, it's optional, you pick your deductible and will cost you $x. If you want collision beyond that, it's optional, you pick a separate deductible and will cost you another $x.

Please drop the 'tude, man. If your experiences have been different, that's great and leat's hear about them, but please present them a little more politely.
I sent you an private message. Kindly read it.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Dang you guys are great

Now we're PMing the fire back and forth. I kinda wanted to see what Davy had to say. Anyway I hope we can all get along... as usual.

My story.

9:30 at night at the nearly empty Home Depot lot. I park in the middle of nowhere with the 'loaned' Baja whilst my SVX is in the shop.

This IDIOT lady parks her minivan (now nearly 9:45 with a 10pm, closing time, so the lot is REALLY empty) inches from 'my' vehicle. ON HER DRIVER's side!!!!!

I saw her literally squeezing out of her van! I nearly lost it on her, but then cooler heads prevailed and I just glared at her..

She didn't actually hit me with her door, it was NOT my car/truck (whatever that thing is) and it was late and OBVIOUSLY she wasn't worth all the hot air.......
Old 11-26-2002, 07:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Dang you guys are great

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
Now we're PMing the fire back and forth. I kinda wanted to see what Davy had to say. Anyway I hope we can all get along... as usual.

I saw her literally squeezing out of her van! I nearly lost it on her, but then cooler heads prevailed and I just glared at her...
A PM is an appropriate way to deal with the situation. We had a misunderstanding, and hopefully we can resolve it. If we do, it will have been without a public flame-war, which tends to set off more arguments.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-26-2002, 08:59 AM
$VX

UPDATE:

Well, a few things. First off, I did call the police right away but didn't file a report because I'd prefer to settle this outside of insurance. It would have been less of a pain in the ass. SECONDLY, we WERE going to put my dog to sleep yesterday at 4pm, and I didn't want to waste 2 hours on accident report crap- instead I wanted to spend it with my dog. Thirdly, I can prove who hit who. I took pictures of how little the spot he parked in was, I took pictures of how he was right next to my bumper, and the TWO scrapes indicate he had originally backed into the spot at an extreme angle, the back drivers side corner of his bumper gouging into the top of my bumper and into the headlight, and then he pulled forward, backed up again and hit me in the more middle of hte bumper. There's silver paint all over the scratches from his silver car.

AND LASTLY, I called hte police. Turns out his insurance should cover it. I filed an accident report (which took forever btw), and I have to print out the photos for the cops today.

AND, if any of you guys feel like calling this asshole up, here's his phone number:

608-221-1716

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 09:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Good luck, Ca$h! Hope it works out for you

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:39 AM
$VX

Thanks man!

Once again, if you feel like calling this guy, 608-221-1716

hehe

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Hater

hope you get him (in the wallet)! do you have a pic of the damage? anything you could fix yourself and pocket the money, if you can get it from him? good luck raking this jackass over the coals.
my wife got hit by an old man a few years ago. when she called him on it, he pretended not to know what she was talking about and tried to blow her off. then the claws came out - she talked to HIS wife and got him in big trouble! i fixed the small scratch with some touchup paint and wetsanding, and i got paid well for the hour or so i invested in the repair. if he wasn't such an a-hole, she probably would have let it slide. people can be such weasels.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-26-2002, 10:59 AM
$VX

edit.

What a jerk. >:|

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
and I would want to waste the money of calling this guy because?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:31 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Collision is almost useless, the only good it does is when you don't catch the person. The best way to do it is to have your insurance company try and find out what company he is insured through then, you contact his insurance company and file a claim against him. His insurance, if he has any, will work with you and end up paying for the damage. If you had collision and went through your insurance you would have to pay money and maybe get the deductible back within a year. I hate insurance companies, I wish there were more laws about what they can and can't do. The rising insurance rates are because they invested the money you paid them into the stock market, and now because it dropped you have to make up for their mistakes.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:38 PM
cjoffe

Actually no, that's not true. The rising insurance rates are because they invested the money you paid them into CONGRESSMEN. This lets them write the laws any damn way they please. This allows them to ALWAYS profit, no matter what their other mistakes. If you don't believe that, ask the folks from SC. I've been told that the insurance industry got tired of paying rent and simply bought the state legislature.

CJ
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 AM

Holy zombie thread, Batman!

So I'm searching for info on the forum for paint issues and I came across this old thread... couple o' things:

a.) curious about how the situation finally worked out
b.) SOOOOOOOOOOO much bad information about insurance

Bit of background on me relevant to this thread: a few years ago I was a "full lines" property & casualty insurance agent licensed in the state of FL (where one item of dispute in this thread is based).

First bit of bad info was that the state of FL requires you to have both PIP and "comprehensive" (aka, "Other Than Collision", or OTC) coverage. NOT TRUE. The state of FL requires you to have PIP and Bodily Injury Liability coverage. If you have a loan on your car, you are also required to carry comp and collision. But if you own your car outright, these are not required.

Second, collision coverage does not cover vandalism - that's what comprehensive does. For the state of FL (and I'd be willing to bet vital organs in other states too), here is what the difference between comprehensive and collision insurance are:
  • "collision" coverage is for accidents that occur when at least one of the involved vehicles is moving.
  • "Comprehensive" coverage is for all other damages that your car sustains (e.g., fire, tree falling on it, theft, hail, vandalism, etc.).

It wasn't mentioned but in case you're wondering, "property damage" coverage is actually called "property damage LIABILITY" coverage, and covers damages you cause to other peoples' property (e.g., car, mailbox, storefront, etc.)

There are few things I know anything about, but auto insurance is one. As one point of contention in this thread was based here in FL (not the original poster's situation, but an argument), I can relate specifically. But even for general questions, I will be more than happy to clear up any insurance questions. I just hate to see something so important (as insurance issues are actually LEGAL ISSUES) have inaccuracies tossed around.

(no snobbery intended, only helpful information/insight)

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Re: *** Dammit!!!!!!!#*($&%*(&@

Quote:
Collision is almost useless, the only good it does is when you don't catch the person. The best way to do it is to have your insurance company try and find out what company he is insured through then, you contact his insurance company and file a claim against him. His insurance, if he has any, will work with you and end up paying for the damage. If you had collision and went through your insurance you would have to pay money and maybe get the deductible back within a year...
I understand the thrust of this as relates to the specific situational context here, but I would like to clarify that collision coverage is highly useful in most cases. I don't think the intent was to say that one shouldn't have collision coverage, but it kind of reads that way.

Quote:
...I hate insurance companies, I wish there were more laws about what they can and can't do. The rising insurance rates are because they invested the money you paid them into the stock market, and now because it dropped you have to make up for their mistakes.
Good news! As it stands there are tons of laws restricting property & casualty insurance companies' actions. Nobody likes insurance companies (until they need them). Even some insurance agents (I was one who loathed the industry - it chose me, not the other way around). However, one of the great things about the industry is that it's very tightly regulated. As much as people like to hate insurance companies (mostly health insurance companies, which is a completely different animal!), one of the great things about the business is that it is so regulated. The regulation helps prevent fraud by agents, underwriters, appraisers, and others in the business.

Because of the decades of strict regulatory laws, the entire mentality of the property & casualty insurance business has changed from the disreputable stereotypes of the past to perhaps one of THE most honest and ethical there is. Again, not just the rules have changed thanks to heavy regulation, the industry as a whole has changed its mindset to one of responsible and fair dealing.

The laws enacted are there to remove the curtains of secrecy in the industry and the industry is better for it. Regulation is a good thing.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 07-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
So I'm searching for info on the forum for paint issues and I came across this old thread... couple o' things:

a.) curious about how the situation finally worked out
Ol' Ca$h has been out of the picture for years now.
Unless you search a thread by his name sometime soon after this one was posted I don't think you're going to get an answer.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.