How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Why there was no auto tranny, as told by the Road & Track guide.

"As one indication of how sophisticated this transmission is, Subaru will not offer a manual gearbox for the SVX at introduction time. That will have to wait until a unit that works as well as the automatic is developed-in other words, a stick shift with electronic traction control."

If ABS was a technical leap of faith in '92, traction control would have been base jumping.

Any list of SVX competitors surely must include the Porsche 928, and non- Z-51 Corvette. The 928 was the baseline that was drawn for the SVX. They were after loftier competition than even the BMW 3-Series. They were aiming squarely at the BMW 850, and Mercedes 500 coupes. The price point would have had Benz, Porsche, & Bimmer buyers cross shopping.

Subaru gaffed the ad campaign, and didn't train it sales staff sufficiently. The SVX COULD have been the sports car of the Birkenstock generation.

It suits me though, that means we get to cherish our low volume, unknown coupe
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think what they meant was they wanted a manual with electronically variable torque split?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Over here the hot engine was the 2.2 Vtec. The 2.3 only came in single cam non vtec, and didn't make anything like 210 hp. It would be regarded as a pipe and slippers variant round these parts.
It's the same over here. The 2.3 was only available in non-vtec, and is a dog (around 160hp depending on JDM or USDM and what years). The 2.2 vtec is the hot one to have, having around 180 or more hp. We own a 94 2.2 vtec Prelude, and it's pretty damn fast. Hands my SVX it's ass on a platter. And we've got a nitrous kit for it sitting in the bedroom awaiting install.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
I didn't know people could actually be bothered to make a distinction between the 3000GT and the Stealth.

I learned something today.

Also, VW Corrado, Ford Taurus SHO.

While neither of these are AWD or attractive to look at, they both rest comfortably in the same performance bracket as our beloved SVX.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Domo Arigato

Not in the US but SVX was often compared with Eunos Cosmo, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi GTO(3000GT) Toyota Soarer(SC300) in JP. They are high performance, good looking, and expensive. People who thought about buying SVX also thought about those candidates...

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
A lot of good idea and thoughts flying in this thread. It is a good read.

I do have to giggle at the fact that Subaru said the transmission performed so well that they felt the need to make a 5/6mt with electronic traction control... The auto never performed as well as a 5mt along the lines of traction control, The VTD model offered in Japan and a couple other places does perform exceptionally well but the US market transfer mechanisms are a joke and to be honest half assed backwards... why make a duty solenoid that has to be active for 90% of your driving?? Shouldn't it be the other way around??... But I digress.

Tom
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaRyu View Post
Not in the US but SVX was often compared with Eunos Cosmo, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi GTO(3000GT) Toyota Soarer(SC300) in JP. They are high performance, good looking, and expensive. People who thought about buying SVX also thought about those candidates...
Yep, these babies were the natural competitors in Japan, and most likely to have been in the forefront of the minds of the designers as they prepared the SVX for sale in Japan.

When we discuss what are the natural competitors of the SVX I think we have a duty of care to remember that each market was unique, and it would have been partially up to each region's marketing department to decide what specification that car came with, and where they decided to pitch it in their particular market or battlefield.

What Tom says is very true, the US got the cheaper rear clutch driven gearbox. This affected the handling all right, but I strongly suspect it was done as much to keep the cost per unit low, as much as anything else, because relative to the cost of development the SVX price in the USA was a bit of a bargain. You probably think the SVX was expensive when new in the US, but it was double that price in Europe.

Fuji tried in one audacious move to build a car that was a match for Porsches, BMW 8 series coupes and Audis. They failed mainly because the market conditions worsened, but it was a glorious failure. Our SVX is lasting as well as or better than the aforementioned. On top of that the level of engineering and finish is far in front of the high priced German opposition, 17 years on. And we can buy them for buttons.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
When we discuss what are the natural competitors of the SVX I think we have a duty of care to remember that each market was unique, and it would have been partially up to each region's marketing department to decide what specification that car came with, and where they decided to pitch it in their particular market or battlefield.

This is so. In Canada the only model sold was the top of the line. No cloth interiors or FWD. No options offered except colour. Interestingly they opted not to include the alarm system or heated seats in the '92.

You probably think the SVX was expensive when new in the US, but it was double that price in Europe.

My father went to the Earl's Court motor show in London with some relatives shortly after I bought my SVX. They were apparently impressed that I was in a position to afford such a vehicle. They weren't told what I paid for it here.

Peter

Joe
Very insightful Joe.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Very insightful Joe.
You were correct not to tell them, Peter.

The Canadian cars had unique wiring too, I believe you guys got daytime running lights.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

the 1992 car of the year was a Lexus SC400, another auto 15 second car. automobile magazine said the svx was smooth as a lexus and sounded better than a porsche.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 AM

SVX is a as good or better than most of the competitors.
peace,
sid
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
1992 Pearlie original owner

[QUOTE=svxistentialist;519936]You were correct not to tell them, Peter.

The Canadian cars had unique wiring too, I believe you guys got daytime running lights.

What do you mean by "daytime running lights" in Canada. We just found out the hard way, our car has a button to push for parking lights on the dashboard.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
[quote=vrkSVX;519949]
Quote:
You were correct not to tell them, Peter.

What do you mean by "daytime running lights" in Canada. We just found out the hard way, our car has a button to push for parking lights on the dashboard.
The hard way?

You pushed this button by mistake, and ran down the battery?

I think all SVXs have this button. The jdm and UK ones I have owned all have a separate parking light button. Personally I like the general idea of it, but the dumbos put it in a place behind the wheel low down where you can't easily see if it is on or off as you leave the car. Aye, and worse, when it is "On" the instrument lights do not light up, so that does not even warn you

A badly thought out system.

I only know of the Daytime Running Lights [DRLs] from the wiring diagram. SFAIK they are like the Volvo system, they come on with the ignition and you can't switch them off. They are in the place of the inner set of fog lights that some markets [not the UK] get.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
1992 Pearlie original owner

[QUOTE=svxistentialist;519950][quote=vrkSVX;519949]

The hard way?

You pushed this button by mistake, and ran down the battery?

I think all SVXs have this button. The jdm and UK ones I have owned all have a separate parking light button. Personally I like the general idea of it, but the dumbos put it in a place behind the wheel low down where you can't easily see if it is on or off as you leave the car. Aye, and worse, when it is "On" the instrument lights do not light up, so that does not even warn you

A badly thought out system.

I only know of the Daytime Running Lights [DRLs] from the wiring diagram. SFAIK they are like the Volvo system, they come on with the ignition and you can't switch them off. They are in the place of the inner set of fog lights that some markets [not the UK] get.

Well we didn't run the battery down, but did take the battery cable off until we found the button. Yup, it is down low on the dash and not real easy to spot.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
The day time running lights are required here by law, as well as a third brake light in the center. Studies show that they reduce collisions. As soon as you turn on the car they are on, unless the hand brake is engaged. I don't think they replace the fog lights, just light them up all the time if the regular headlights are not turned on. Many makes simply have the low beams wired this way. A few use the "parking" lights.

vrkSVX, I know that switch well. I fumbled about in the dark for almost an hour just after I bought my SVX trying to figure out why my parking lights wouldn't go off. I'd hit the button accidentally when I released the tilt lock on the steering.