Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Color Opinions?

I've got to pick a color for the SVX very soon. I know that the previous owners body work was good, but not perfect, so I'm looking for a color that will help hide some of those small imperfections. So black or white are pretty much out of the picture.

I'm looking for some ideas on nice colors that wouldn't bring every tiny imperfection screaming out, and would look nice on an SVX.

So far I've got a few ideas. There's Mitsubishi's "Graphite Grey Pearl" (the EVO MR Grey color), the Porsche "Seal Grey Metallic", BMW's "estoril blau metallic", or the new Subaru color for the Spec B. "Diamond Grey Metallic"

I'd like some other ideas on possible colors to make my final choice from.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I've got to pick a color for the SVX very soon. I know that the previous owners body work was good, but not perfect, so I'm looking for a color that will help hide some of those small imperfections. So black or white are pretty much out of the picture
If your going to all the expence and work to have the car repainted surely the obvious thing would be to sort the body work so thare isnt any imperfections, large, small or otherwise?

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
If your going to all the expence and work to have the car repainted surely the obvious thing would be to sort the body work so thare isnt any imperfections, large, small or otherwise?
There is no expense involoved. Free paint job, but it's gotta happen asap, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quality for the big F word.

I am working out as many of them as I can. But I don't think I can get it all perfect in a week, (plus this being my first time doing body work)

Last edited by techy101; 07-01-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

I'd just wait on it. Rushed body and paint= twice as much work as fixing what was wrong in the first place.

Do it right, and you only have to do it once. Or don't do it at all.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:28 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

This issue aside, any thoughts on colors?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Primer. It will hide the most defects.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101
This issue aside, any thoughts on colors?
That issue aside, your original color choices were good - silver or a silver/grey metallic tends to be the best at not showing dirt, so I would assume it would not showcase small imperfections as well.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...White hides everything except a colormatch...and since itll all be sp0rayed at once....

Though, I will say Ive always wanted to see an svx in toyota's 1E0 with a black trunk and roof. It's the meduim charcoal color on scions that has the blue, green, and purple metallics in it. Very subtle in the shade, but it EXPLODES in the sun Go to a scion/ toyota dealership and see for yourself
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Old Guy

Chrysler Corp has a great color that might work for you - Vanilla. Don't jump out of your seat! Yes, vanilla, very rich-looking, and if you were to do a contrast color on the deck, roof and spoiler (if you have a spoiler), it would look really great. In fact, a dark blue over vanilla would make a spectacular combination. Get down to your local Chrysler dealer and take a look - they often use it on Dodge trucks, a really nice color that will cover imperfections and will be easy to keep looking clean.
Preston
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Being the bodywork is good, but not perfect...why not take a little time, MAKE it perfect, then paint it whatever color you want without worrying? Lets face it...you cant hide bad bodywork with paint. It'll only exaggerate any imperfections

I mean, the vanilla in question is a good color for hiding crap...trust me, Ive seen it work its magic on a 300c..but it just screams "Too lazey to wash my car, so I picked a color that looks clean dirty and looks dirty clean" Why try to hide anything via color? Why pay for a paint job (Or get it free in this case) if you KNOW it isnt going to be absolutely perfect when its done?

Oh...right. cool colors...If they are crazey enough to do a 3 stage pearl, GM has a color called inca gold...Its white with a gold pearl mid coat. The good thing is, you can change out the gold for blue, green, purple, ect. to make a one-off color that looks classy AND pops out
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

I feel the same way. I always thought an SVX would look great in one of chrysler's old minivan colors... it's a red metallic with a lot of flop, only it's very DARK.... only the highlights are actually red, the rest looks pretty much like merlot. That color with bronze rims would look pretty awesome too.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Lets face it...you cant hide bad bodywork with paint. It'll only exaggerate any imperfections
So true; I know from experience. These flaws you scarcely notice now will be screaming at you once the car is painted, no matter the color.

dcb
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX
You could always do it the colour of my TVR in my locker pics,
I would love to see an SVX with that paint, so many lines and angles to change it.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
I don't know how you feel about green but......... In 1982 Chevy had a color that they put on Corvettes called "silver green matalic" the chevy paint code is 40, the dupont stock code is B8286. It's mostly silver with a hint of green. I think it would really help hide any imperfections. I personally love this color of green, it's sporty and classy at the same time. No matter what color you choose, good luck and I hope it turns out great.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I've got some color options in my locker, but I dont really recommend actually using them.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Alycone|13445

(guess I better download my locker)