Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Help!! Keys stuck in the ignition

My SVX is hell bent on getting completely dead....

It looks like a shift interlock or something broke as now it won't allow me to turn the ignition back past acc so I can remove the key. I also have to push the button to release the lock to move the shifter...

Any ideas?

One might also note the battery was 110% dead at this time.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Is the wheel cocked a certain direction? It may be that the wheel lock is engaged. In that case, you need to push the wheel the direction it's cocked in a bit further to release the tension on the lock and then turn the key.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 06-13-2007, 06:00 PM

$60 later for a new battery I got the key out. I guess there is something in the system that needs a bit of power to operate.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Thats interesting....for a second I thought you had a mystery key like I do. About a year ago my key was stuck in the ignition for an entire day!!! Everytime I would park somewhere I would yank and jerk and jiggle and nothing...anyway later that night it finally came out and its never happened since!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I remember having a bit of an ignition problem....With the steering colum trim off, you can reach a jiggly thingy that lets the key out.

Thats about all the knowlege I can give ya..sorry
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-16-2020, 09:34 AM

Re: Help!! Keys stuck in the ignition

Thirteen years after this post I have a similar problem: Intermittently ignition key will not move past accessory position. Wait a minute, maybe 10, and key removes. Dealer replaced key cylinder, problem recurred. Locksmith hired by dealer replaced interlock, problem recurred. Dealer inspected the shift plate in the console because sometimes they warp and lose contact, even on new Subarus. No warp. Spending this money not a problem because I can afford it and have been replacing the car piecemeal for years; however, this is infuriating. Beginning to suspect the security system. I'm original owner; never used the stupid security system. Sometimes it decides to turn itself on. Sometimes it's off and sounds the alarm. Idiot light in the dash switch never seems to know what state it's in. If you disconnect the security system will the car run? If so, how do you do it?
Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help!! Keys stuck in the ignition

What year is your car?
I have a '92, and thinking back to my first few years of ownership, the security system was strange in the way it was designed to operate from the factory. I had something done to it way back then, probably through a recall/TSB, which simplified its operation and eliminated unintended activation.
Maybe something like that would help.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Re: FIX for Key stuck in the ignition

The electrical connector in the console under the shift lever loosens or gets dirty or corrodes. One consequence is an ignition key that gets stuck in the accessory position and will not come out, then will after wait time. The connector is accessed under a trim cover (see attachments). I did not try to remove and reseat it. It takes a tool I do not have. I did spray it with electronic contact cleaner, tapped it lightly and pushed as hard as I could with my finger. Seems to have worked for the last six weeks, much beyond the frequency with which the original problem occurred.
Attached Images
File Type: png SVX Console Photo.png (319.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: png SVX Trim Cover Removed.png (318.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: png SVX Shifter Electrical Connector.png (343.0 KB, 168 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: FIX for Key stuck in the ignition

Thanks, good to know. These security systems seem to have a mind of their own. In the picture it looks like you can just push down on a tab to pull that plug out - is that not the case?

Mine turns itself on all the time and then the battery drains or it randomly starts honking the horn when the battery gets low. I have added a solar panel trickle charger and that seemed to help.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.