How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2002, 07:45 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Smog Check Frustrations

No, it didn't fail the test. It didn't even take the test.

After waiting for an hour while they were trying to do the smog check (the engine being started and stopped, over and over again) the guy finally came over and told me they couldn't do the check. He said they "couldn't get a RPM reading off it". Does anybody know why that would be? He also suggested finding a place that has a "sun machine" to do the smog check.

Is there any reason to think this means there is something wrong? Is the "sun machine" going to be able to run the test?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Andrew

Can't help you, but decided to vent!

The State of Ohio has a mandatory smog check which requires the vehicle to be placed on a dynamometer and driven at speed to verify actual emission output. They have invested millions in these facilities with a private organization overseeing the show. After this investment, they staff it with managers with the brains of a .......... and let 'em have at your car.

In our case the obviously brain dead attendant drove the cars front wheels onto the rollers in the floor, hooked up his stuff, and tried to do the test. Marvelous thing about the 4EAT, it senses slip and engages the rear wheels. NON-marvelous thing about the dolt behind the wheel, he figures no furrin car is gonna beat him and STRAPS it to the floor. Hops back in, very proud of his trouble shooting capabilities and fires her up to about 60 mph, promptly smoking the transfer clutches. The MORE marvelous thing is the monkey behind the glass (aka, McManager) who after hearing my wife state that there is something wrong with her car, denies any liability, cusses her out and slams his door in her face!

Well, six weeks, $6K from the e-check folks, and one McManager later, all was right with the world.

Sorry for the hijack, this thread brought to you by the fine folks from e-check! Six years later and I'm still pi$$ed-off!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Green1995SVX

Oh my god, Todd. That post gave me shivers.

-Mike
Old 04-15-2002, 09:07 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Smog Check Frustrations

Andrew, I don't know about the sun machine but will be interested to know about your smog test result. Are you okay if after you finish the test and post the smog test result paper on the forum or your locker. I'm interested to see how does it look like. For me, our state doesn't need to have smog test to pass the inspectation. They will check your car's safety features, if your car is all okay, you just pay for $7.36 for the sticker. How about yours, how much you need to pay for your smog test in your state? My SVX passed the state inspection easily of $7.36 when I bought it. I saw my SVX's smog test result from previous owner in MD. It scored pretty good.

We run premium gas, would we get a better result on the smog test? Hope your SVX pass the smog test easily.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
That is one of the best stories i've heard. Not surprising, at all, really.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:28 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Re: Re: Smog Check Frustrations

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
Andrew, I don't know about the sun machine but will be interested to know about your smog test result. Are you okay if after you finish the test and post the smog test result paper on the forum or your locker. I'm interested to see how does it look like. For me, our state doesn't need to have smog test to pass the inspectation. They will check your car's safety features, if your car is all okay, you just pay for $7.36 for the sticker. How about yours, how much you need to pay for your smog test in your state? My SVX passed the state inspection easily of $7.36 when I bought it. I saw my SVX's smog test result from previous owner in MD. It scored pretty good.

We run premium gas, would we get a better result on the smog test? Hope your SVX pass the smog test easily.
Well seeing as California has restrictions way above every other state and my car is a Florida car, it very well may need new emissions equipment. I certainly hope not.
The usual price for getting a smog check around here is $25-$35, plus $8.25 for the certificate.
I'll post the results after I get the test done.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Hitchhikin'

I've honestly never heard of a sun machine, but I hope that there's no one in California stupid enough to try to put the SVX on the dyno.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:19 PM
gcookaustin

I don't think we even have a safety check in Tennessee...much less a smog check.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Remember the little empty fuse slot under the hood that puts the car into FWD when a fuse is inserted? It ain't there for looks. It's there for just this purpose.

A couple weeks ago I took mine over to the VET (another acronym - Vehicle Emission Testing) and when I mentioned that the car was AWD I was told "OH, we only do an idle test on AWD cars." Apparently that's how they avoid damage claims in Louisville. Anyway, the KY Gov just killed the program last week, so it was probably my last visit there. Too bad, it does work. The VET garage is one of four in town and it is directly behind our shop. It certainly generated a bit of work for me.

BTW, a SUN machine is a trade colloquialism for an automotive testing station/oscilloscope. SUN Electric Corporation was the leader of this type of equipment for years, until it was absorbed by Snap-On, an unfortunate circumstance for everyone. (Sorry Steve)

Anyway, the problem the operator was having was due to the 'coil-on-plug' igniton of the SVX. Most diagnostic equipment uses an inductive probe placed around the number one cylinder's spark plug wire to get a tach reading. Since the SVX has no such wiring he was at a loss to find a suitable signal with his limited equipment/experience. There's nothing wrong with the car, in fact more and more cars are moving to this type of ignition. If I were you I'd call the regulatory department responsible for the program and complain, chances are they have seen this situation before and could help you out.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 PM
Hitchhikin'

The place I went to had no such problem, but that "coil-on-plug" was a pain when I installed my MSD RPM switch. And they didn't bother to use the FWD fuse on my car. They didn't put it on the dyno at all.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:27 PM
SoCal SVXer

Hey Beav I don't suppose you could move to Southern California? It'd really help to have someone experienced with SVXs nearby. LOL

Thanks for the information, that makes sense and I'm glad it's that simple and not something wrong with the car. I'll be taking it in early tomorrow morning to another place to try to get a smog check done again.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've been there. In fifteen minutes it became patently clear to me that SoCal isn't my cup-o-tea. I'd have to have a chauffeur-driven motorhome in order to survive the traffic.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:59 PM
SoCal SVXer

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I've been there. In fifteen minutes it became patently clear to me that SoCal isn't my cup-o-tea. I'd have to have a chauffeur-driven motorhome in order to survive the traffic.
No kidding. I'm only here because this is where I grew up and I'll have to stay at least until I am not dependent on my parents for living quarters

California's laws are nothing but a pain though. Dealing with the Department of Motor Vehicles is pure hell most of the time. I'll be glad to get out of here in a couple years.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Cool Beav!! I know what you mean

I came down to the bay area about 2 years ago. A "promotion" from my then company with higher wages and a more visible postion....... (both mistakes) I'm more than ready to pack up and leave just as soon as I'm sure I can make a good living back in my home town....... They have better dealer service back there to because there is more than one Subaru dealer in town.....

sorry for the vent....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-16-2002, 10:31 AM
BradT

Interesting ... two years ago I took my SVX in for a smog check (Bay Area) and it took them *forever* to figure out how to do it.

I guess that's why that place was called SmogPros.

Last week I took it somewhere else for my smog check and there were no problems at all (aside from them looking for the latch at the front of the hood). ;*)