How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2002, 11:55 PM
EvilYoda

I'm unfamiliar with the SVX's, please help me out...

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, my name's Joe, and I'm a student at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.

So first off, I'll admit that I don't know much about the SVX, although I have seen one before. The situation is the I'm looking to buy a used car this summer, and generally other students offer the best prices on their cars. Turns out, someone's selling a '92 SVX, with 90,xxx miles on it, for $6300. Doing a quick blue-book check, the price seems high, so here are some questions I have:

What would be a good price for me to get a car of a similar year/comparison at? Some other sites listed the SVX line as having the same problems in all cars made, that being the transmission, wheel-bearing failure and bent/warped rotors. I don't believe I'll have too much time to fix the car, although I will be taking care of it, as I want to get to know more about cars. How much trouble will this car cost me, time-wise and financially? (Broke college student here. )

From what I've seen of it in pictures, it's an impressive cars, and it seems to have a very loyal fanbase, of which, I'm sure there's a reason for. I'll have to wait to see it in person, and probably have a mechanic check it out. (Is anybody located near Detroit/AA that's good enough with the car to tinker through it?)

Sorry for the long post, but I just want to get my research done fast, since finals are approaching. I'll be checking this thread occasionally, but if you feel you have something special to say (possibly a better offer or suggestion? ), email me at Eville64@hotmail.com or jchsu@umich.edu.

Thanks again all, looks like I've found yet another car forum to suck up my time. (The prominent one currently being supraforums) Talk to you soon hopefully!
Old 04-15-2002, 01:33 AM
gcookaustin

I'm a college student at the Univ. of Tennessee, and I just purchased an SVX to drive this summer too. I have owned it for about a week, and I think that this is the best car ever for the money! There are other automobiles (boring) for about the same price (or more) which don't have very much on them. Being an engineering student, I like that there's a lot of cool buttons to play with. I picked my '92 up with 81,000 miles and all the options for a little over 4 grand. There were a couple of things that really needed to be fixed on it (cv joints, front brake pads) but those happen on other cars as well. I have found that while parts *can* be expensive, they don't necessarily have to be (I got two half-axles and had them installed for about 200 total; I guess that's average). I have done a lot of research on the car (since about Christmas) and decided to finally buy one! In my opinion it is well worth it. Given that it may have transmission problems, I would recommend getting a warranty (I found a 4 year powertrain warranty for $900, and if no claims are made then it is refundable). Insurance for this car is not expensive either it seems, after I turn 21 it will be 350 / 6 months.
I look at it this way: I have done a lot of research and hanging out in this message board and decided that the SVX is more than worth the money (and can be had and run for not a lot of money). I cannot speak for all, and have only had it for a week, but that's how I feel about it anyway The thing looks almost new when washed. I know that I could always sell it and get a different car, if need be. I'm almost broke myself (now that I've spent all my money purchasing the thing... )
In terms of pricing, I too think that that price is a little high. Even though they are hard to find, you may be able to do much better than 6300.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:34 AM
gcookaustin

BTW, when I say "1.83 minor problems per day" by my name I'm talking little cosmetic issues, like my console button breaking. No big deal, just superglue back on. Not trying to scare you...
Old 04-15-2002, 06:33 AM
alacrity024

Hey, another college student! Welcome Yoda.. powerful the force is with the SVX, yes. I've written a reasonably detailed "review" of the SVX and it's fairly inclusive. If you'd like you can read it at: http://www.epinions.com/content_41724186244

Hope it helps!

-Adam
Old 04-15-2002, 10:16 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I don't think I can add any advice to the excellent advice of your fellow starving students.

My only caution would be, that, if you don't REALLY want an SVX, DON'T DRIVE IT!

Although the strking good looks and sleek styling are hard to resist, it can, indeed, be done.

But, once you place your posterior into the fitted seats, use the power adjustments to get comfortable and look around you, resistance begins to fade.

Once you've begun to glide down the road and sweep into curves, you begin to meld with the car. You become almost inseparable.

Then, put your foot in it on a straightaway and you're only a "power light" away from being hopelessly hooked -- so much so that you'll gladly spend the money on the car, the tranny . . . the bearings . . . the rotors, and anything else, to keep her perfect.

Of course, I could be wrong in your case, but, I don't think so.

Resistance is futile.

Aredubjay (AKA "The Voice of Experience")
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-15-2002, 10:45 AM
gcookaustin

Yeah, like I said I can't help but to go look at it everyday even if I don't have to go anywhere...man I'm a little obsessed I guess...

It is definitely well worth it. I say well worth "it" as if "it" means spending a bunch of money, but like I said I paid only a little over four thousand for mine and it's a mechanically tight car and looks good too, and I don't really expect any major problems. It is possible to get a good deal and have relatively cheap transportation. Mine REALLY needs some front brakes though... "You have a Subaru what? Hmm, yes we have special pricing for you." hehe
Old 04-15-2002, 11:28 AM
EvilYoda

Thanks a lot for the prompt replies guys, your forum really seems nice. The seller responded to an email, and had these things to mention:

90,300 miles; I did replace the rotor and the brake pads last Nov because they were wearing out. ; have a carfax report available and whatnot. I am not the original owner, I bought the car two years ago from a dealer here in Ann Arbor, drove 7000 miles since then. The car has a clean title, I checked car fax before I bought it and there's not accident in the past two years. I have maintainance record on this car if you want to check up on that. ; By the way, the car still has Powertrain PLUS warranty covering all the mechanical parts that's not subject to wear and tear (e.g. engine, timing belt, transimission, driving axle.. etc.).

And that's about it...his original post says he put in an audio system, so I just asked for specs on that, but I doubt it warrants the 1000+ dollars over blue book that he's asking for. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Is there anything else specific I should ask? Someone from this forum was kind enough to email me and offer assistance, since he's near Ann Arbr, so that's great.

Well, break's over, back to class, talk to you all later.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:55 AM
gcookaustin

I would listen extra carefully to noises and pay attention to vibrations / shakes. The engine should be very smooth. Mine is, and it still needs new spark plugs. The brake rotors shouldn't shake any. Be sure to check the transmission fluid especially to make sure it's red and doesn't look dirty or smell burnt. I took a risk on not knowing condition of the transmission but all turned out okay. Try to test it out on a hot day because the lowest the climate control will go down to is 65 and so the A/C won't come on (I think) if the outside temp is above that. There are other people who know more to look for but I'm at work and bored. At the price he's asking, nothing outta be broken. The warranty is a big plus, find out how much is left on it. You can usually get another one if it runs out.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:56 PM
EvilYoda

I'm rather excited just to test the car out, I've never driven one before. Hopefully that will sell me on it.....any other suggestions are appreciated, hopefully the guy that lives near here knows what to check, and taking it to the dealer nearby won't hurt too.

yay, it's 5PM, and I'm at the library. joy.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:02 PM
PDhamSVXer

Just wanted to say hello to all the other college students, we must stick together. We cant afford to be brainwahsed by the stock minded jabber of the "adults" on the forum. Ahh just kidding we love all of you, plus as college students we are to poor to do anyhting to our cars anyway

By the way I attend The University of Wisconsin.... GO BADGERS!!!

Paul

92 svx lsl
Old 04-15-2002, 03:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Yoda, make sure the timing belt has been changed recently. If not, that's worth taking off a grand. It'll cost you close to that to get the belt changed. Don't let them try to "charge you" for the stereo. If they were to trade it in, it would not be a consideration on trade-in value, whatsoever, so, it's not a plus.

Print out this chart and make sure the appropriate maintenance has been done at the appropriate interval:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maintenance schedule.jpg (437.8 KB, 127 views)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Green1995SVX

Sorry for the late chime-in here. I am also a college student, and I've been up to my ears in repair and credit card bills resulting from my beautiful SVX (affectionatly named Tamika). There isnt anything i wouldnt do to keep her alive and with me though.

-Mike
Old 04-15-2002, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Yeah, like I said I can't help but to go look at it everyday even if I don't have to go anywhere...man I'm a little obsessed I guess...
Garrett, I hate to tell you this: That feeling doesn't go away! It's been nearly four years for me, and, I still sit outside on my front porch and stare and admire the lines of the car . . . I have no trouble volunteering to drive into town for a gallon of milk (about nine miles), or to pick up the kids from an event, or to . . . well . . . it doesn't go away.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-15-2002, 03:34 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Garrett, I hate to tell you this: That feeling doesn't go away! It's been nearly four years for me, and, I still sit outside on my front porch and stare and admire the lines of the car . . . I have no trouble volunteering to drive into town for a gallon of milk (about nine miles), or to pick up the kids from an event, or to . . . well . . . it doesn't go away.

Same here. I look out my blinds first thing each morning to take a quick peek at the car.

Randy (I'm sick...I just know it!) ii
Old 04-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Welcome from another MI owner

Good luck with your purchase. There are a couple of MI owners here. Myself, Mr. Pockets, Everclear (obviously), and a part-timer named SVX10 who goes to school at Kettering and lives in AZ.