Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 09:52 PM
EverclearAtMSU

I just gotta b**ch about this

ok, i'm going 26, 27ish down a main road, when my front end just slams down and the car starts pulling like crazy to the left. So I think, no big deal, tires under the road hazard warante, 5 min I'll be done and off. So I go to get the jack out of the back and jack up the car. on the way up the jack bent in 1/2! No joke, so call my dad and he brings me my floor jack, 30 min later he gets there jack up the car, pull the tire off, throw on the spare, bolt it on, let it down...the spare goes out! The edges of the spare had rusted up and eaten away at the edges of the spare, so the weight of the car blew it out. So bah! Leave it in it's spot and get a tire tomorow, right? Nope, I just got the rim inside, it's compleatly bent on the inside. I dont know what I hit but it screwed it up serriously.

So, here's my delema, get another subaru rim (any ideas on where?) or get some aftermarket rims, I've got a grand coming back from taxes, any sugestions on them?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:21 PM
sith

Well, if you decide to go with a factory wheel, here's a bit of info (I went through the same issue after a curb jumped out and bit me in feb.. wheel turned out to be ok though)

You can either buy a new (used) wheel, or get your current wheel rebuilt. A new wheel from subaru will run about $500, so let's rule that out.

The big thing to keep in mind is that the SVX wheels came in a number of different colours, depending on model year and car colour. Available are two silvers and two charcoals. Also keep in mind that your wheels have probably faded since new and no longer will match the factory paint code. There's also no easy way to tell what colour wheels you have, at least, as far as I know. I dun recall what colour car you have Everclear, but if you post that it might help.

There are a number of places to look for used wheels, or for getting your wheel refinished. Figure around $200 for either option, once you factor in shipping.

First off, Acker wheel, http://www.ackerwheel.com/ has a large stock of wheels and has some SVX wheels in stock.

wheel collision center, http://www.wheelcollision.com/ will refinish your wheel and fix pretty much any problem. The benefit in doing that is that you can have them match the colour that your wheel actually is, instead of using a paint code. they may also have some oem wheels in stock, and will take your broken wheel and give you a core credit ($25 ish)

Transwheel, http://www.transwheel.com/ offers similar service. They also seem to acknowledge that the SVX wheels came in different colours, which may help if you're going to go the replacement route.

Thanks to John Hoffman for providing me all the great info on SVX wheels. Hopefully this gives you a rundown on your various options.

-Colin
Old 04-08-2002, 10:38 PM
EverclearAtMSU

wow, that's alot of help. Thanks!

My SVX is a 92, black...i'm pretty sure the wheels are a silverish color
Old 04-08-2002, 10:42 PM
EverclearAtMSU

now, what's the difference between LT and RT? are there 2 peices to the wheel? So if the back part is screwed up, I can just get that 1/2?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Left and right? The wheels are directional...
Old 04-09-2002, 06:10 AM
CGLathrop

Wheels on ebay

might be a way to get what you need. price is starting at 150. but I believe thats for all 4 which makes it a pretty good deal. Heres the link. Hopefully that will work. If not, just search for SVX on ebay. there sure to pop up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...961043&r=0&t=0

Hope this helps you out.
Chris
Old 04-09-2002, 07:32 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
if the tire is still good, I say go for a factory rim. Otherwise, if you have to pay more, might as well pay extra now. The reason behind is that you want to keep all wheels the same size and wear to reduce the wear on bearings and differentials.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Transwheel

After much research and discussion over the phone I decided to use Transwheel for my refinishing.
I found that the Jaguar and Lotus dealers in the area used them exclusively. (The price of a new lotus Espirit wheel makes ours look very cheap) Transwheel uses a factory paint code to mix the silver liquid paint (Sikkens) and then uses a clear powdercoat over the top for gloss and protection. Wheels are baked at about 450 degrees and the finish is almost indestructable. I just hose them off with plain water.

The wheels come with a lifetime warranty on the finish against fading, peeling, etc.

The cost of refinishing, including repairing gouges, scratches, missing pieces and straightening, truing, checking for cracks, etc. was $154.50 per wheel, including shipping in custom expanded foam boxes. They guarantee that their tolerences meet or exceed OEM specs.

I also paid them an extra $100 to repaint my center caps. I had the SUBARU letters in the center filled and wanted them painted to match the wheels. They used a clear acrylic lacquer on the top and then buffed them out.

If I ever need a wheel in the future they will paint one to match mine and send it to me for $154.50 plus a $75.00 refundable core charge. When i get my wheel and return my old one they refund the core charge to me.

Those of you who were at Reading III saw the wheels and may be able to comment further.

Transwheel is located in Huntington, Indiana and their number is 800-358-5040. The contact there is Brady Benson at ext.153. They also have a East Coast facility in Williamsport (near Hagerstown) Maryland

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-09-2002 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:04 AM
EverclearAtMSU

sweeet, I found this guy in NJ w/ 2 rims right off a black 92. he wants $100 + s/h for both. He sent me a pic and they look good, says they aren't bent or anything. Seams like a pretty good deal, just no center caps, oh no!

Thanks for all your help I might send my wheels to that finnishing place anyways, get them looking all nice
Old 04-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Wheels in NJ

He told me that I could have them for $90. I don't need them. One is pretty scratched up and BOTH are left side wheels FWIW.

You can get them straightened here in MI by a company called Weldcraft. They are located in Livonia/Novi area (I-275 and 6 Mile Rd). Straightened two of mine for $110. I then had all four of them stripped and powdercoated for $300. Bought a can of paint to spray the centers after I sandblasted them for $8. For those of you doing the math at home thats $418 plus some time and driving for all four wheels. Cheaper than one factory replacement wheel. As they say, pics in locker.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:28 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Wheels in NJ

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
He told me that I could have them for $90. I don't need them. One is pretty scratched up and BOTH are left side wheels FWIW.

You can get them straightened here in MI by a company called Weldcraft. They are located in Livonia/Novi area (I-275 and 6 Mile Rd). Straightened two of mine for $110. I then had all four of them stripped and powdercoated for $300. Bought a can of paint to spray the centers after I sandblasted them for $8. For those of you doing the math at home thats $418 plus some time and driving for all four wheels. Cheaper than one factory replacement wheel. As they say, pics in locker.
yeah, i noticed that they were both lefties a few hours ago.

I'll have to look that up, Novi is only an hour and a half away from me.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:56 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Hey, I just wanted to thank you guys for your help! I wound up going to this place here in lansing called Keystone Auto I took the rim in on wed afternoon, and I picked it up around 12:30 today (friday) Pretty good turn around time! They garanteed their work, and told me i'd have no problem doing 100 on the highway It only wound up costing $79.50, they want $150 a rim to refinish them. I'll hold off on that for a while as mine look pretty good as is. They have locations all over the US, so if any of you are in need of some wheel work, I would recomend them.