How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Ya can't fix stupid

Whaddy'all think?

A silver listed on ebay, which I'm hoping another seasoned member can supply the link for as I'm not sure how to do it, in Cali with a salvage title, broken passengar window and slipping trans, sold by mrcars2003.

Any info on this car or dealer.

I'd buy this to mod to a 5-speed anyway so the trans doesn't bother me.

I've emailed the seller as to why a broken window would salvage a car, and am waiting to hear the response.

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

1992 SVX LSL Silver - parts
Old 12-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird
A silver listed on ebay, which I'm hoping another seasoned member can supply the link.
Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...spagenameZWDVW

I was wondering the same thing about the salvage title/window. Considering all of the horrible difficulty SVX92-97 has had trying to get his car registered (It was also a salvaged title SVX bought on ebay) I am very leary about doing it.

Check your state DMV laws as to what is required to register a car with a salvage title in Mississippi before you buy the car. SVX92-97 has had his for over 2 months and it still isn't able to be registered.

Check out the description on ebay, which is of concern. An official bill of sale does not guarantee it will get you a clear title that will allow you to register the vehicle.

Usually once a car is given a salvage title, it can not be issued a clean title ever again. A "rebuilt" title is the most you can hope for. This protects us all from dishonest dealers/individuals selling us cars, totaled by insurance companies from events like hurricane Katrina, as clean.

IM SELLING THIS SALVAGE TITLE 1992 SVX LS-L AS IS. THIS IS A VERY FAST CAR! ITS CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT, NO DENTS,DRIVER SEAT IS A LITTLE WORN,THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR WINDOW WAS SHATTERED (KIDS I TELL YOU) SO ITS GONNA NEED TO BE REPLACED. THE MOTOR RUNS EXTREMLY WELL VERY STRONG AND SMOOTH THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING SO ITS GONNA NEED TO BE CHECKED OUT THE CAR STARTS AND DRIVES VERY WELL ITS BEEN VERY WELL KEPT UP, I DONT KNOW THE HISTORY ON THIS VEHICLE, I DID A FAX REPORT ITS NEVER BEEN WRECKED EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT CLEAN YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME CHECK FOR YOURSELF. IM SELLING THIS CAR AS IS. I HAVE THE OFFICIAL BILL OF SALE WHICH WILL GET YOU THE TITLE. I AM TRYING TO MAKE A FAIR REPRESENTATION OF THE TRUE CONDITION OF THIS VEHICLE. I WILL BE GLAD TO PROVIDE ANY DETAILS ASKED.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-28-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Update

This may be some good news.

Checking the Mississippi DMV statues, I found this.(SECTION 2)

"§ 63-21-39. Procedure where vehicle scrapped, dismantled or destroyed; obtaining title on vehicle with salvage certificate of title; Salvage Certificate of Title Fund; regulations.

(1) An owner who scraps, dismantles or destroys a vehicle and a person who purchases a vehicle as scrap or to be dismantled or destroyed shall indicate same on the back of the certificate of title and shall immediately cause the certificate of title and any other documents required by the State Tax Commission to be mailed or delivered to the State Tax Commission for cancellation. A certificate of title of the vehicle shall not again be issued except upon application containing the information the State Tax Commission requires, accompanied by a certificate of inspection in the form and content specified in Section 63-21-15(5) and proof of payment of a fee as provided in subsection (2) of this section if a clear title is to be issued.

(2) For the purpose of requesting a clear title on a vehicle with a salvage certificate of title, every owner of a vehicle that has been issued a salvage certificate of title in this state or any other state which has been restored in this state to its operating condition which existed prior to the event which caused the salvage certificate of title to issue shall make application to the State Tax Commission, accompanied by a certificate of inspection in the form and content specified in Section 63-21-15(5) and the payment of a fee of Seventy-five Dollars ($75.00). All such monies shall be collected by the Department of Public Safety and paid to the State Treasurer for deposit in a special fund that is hereby created in the State Treasury to be known as the "Salvage Certificate of Title Fund." Monies in the special fund may be expended by the Department of Public Safety, upon appropriation by the Legislature. The State Tax Commission shall establish by regulation the minimum requirements by which a vehicle which has been issued a salvage certificate of title may be issued a clear title. "

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
<<<Alcyone

I had questioned the seller also, here's the response I received, (his CAPS, not mine . . .):

HERE IN CALI AN AUTO THEFT CAN TURN INTO A SALVAGE TITLE THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN WRECKED, DO A FAX REPORT THANKS...

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I had questioned the seller also, here's the response I received, (his CAPS, not mine . . .):

HERE IN CALI AN AUTO THEFT CAN TURN INTO A SALVAGE TITLE THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN WRECKED, DO A FAX REPORT THANKS...
That's not what the California DMV has to say:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr33.htm

The following brands are placed on California vehicle titles and DMV records:

Salvaged-Vehicles marked with a "salvaged" brand were involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.

A Salvage Vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A Revived Salvage is a salvage vehicle which has been repaired and reregistered with the DMV.

While vandalism may be a cause for issuance of a Salvage Title, it makes no reference to auto theft at all. And why would the damage to the rear quarter window be enough to consider the car too expensive to repair? Something else is going on here. I have never heard of a structually-undamaged car being given this branding, simply because it was stolen. If this is true, there has to be a lot of salvage vehicles on the road in California.

Last edited by svxcess; 12-28-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Theft?

There are salvage titles and then there are salvage titles that are fully transferable. Some salvage titles cannot be transferred with a subsequent clear title obtained. I have a salvage title on my low mileage parts car, but it is from Indiana and can NEVER be changed to a title with salvage history that is fully transferable.

He does not answer specific questions about the salvage title--is it in his name? can it be transferred? Why is is salvage? I would be very leery of this for anything other than a parts car.

Just my 2 cents.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 12-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

OK....

It doesn't appear to have interior damage caused by vandalism. Just the window being smashed.

I'd think that the DMV in Cali could tell why they went ahead and issued a "salvage" title.

Gonna do some research.

As far as Mississippi issuing a clean title against a "salvage" title...well you should just see some of the cars running around the road down here.

I have seen a car with duct tape used to keep the door closed.

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
OK....

I prefer Velcro, you don't have to replace it as often!

Dan
Old 12-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I emailed this mrcars2003 a couple of days back. He told me he doesn't know how it got a salvage title. Here's a cut and paste of his reply on how it came about with a salvage title.

IM NOT REALY SURE BUT THE CAR RUNS AND DRIVE LIKE A CHARM THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR....THANKS

I take it his caps key is broken.

I checked the carfax, and it does NOT show this vehicle as receiving a salvage title. Here's what it says for that area:

CARFAX searched more than 4 billion records from over 7,600 sources and found 4 record(s) for this 1992 SUBARU SVX LS-L (JF1CX353XNH100506).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

08/27/1991 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title issued or updated

08/14/1999 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Strawberry, CA
Title issued or updated

10/17/2005 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pinecrest, CA
Title issued or updated

12/26/2005 Subaru of America No recalls open for repair
Tell us what you know about this vehicle
Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

That's it. No mileage readings, no salvage title issued.... Nothing...
It was probably the most voided of information I've ever seen on a carfax for a 13 year old vehicle.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-28-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
OK....

Was that you staring at my car?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

I checked the carfax, and it does NOT show this vehicle as receiving a salvage title. Here's what it says for that area:

10/17/2005 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pinecrest, CA
Title issued or updated

It was probably the most voided of information I've ever seen on a carfax for a 13 year old vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that transaction on 10/17 was the time it was salvaged.

Does seem way strange.

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM

California salvage

First call DMV 1-800-777-0133 I hit 0 three times and it gets me to the CSR or you can listen to the recording. Ask the CSR this, your thinking about buying a car and you don't trust the seller. It has no license plate and you want to know if it's salvaged. Here is the VIN number.

About the car it's on craigslist here is the listing

HELLO AND WELCOME IM SELLING THIS SALVAGE TITLE 1992 SVX LS-L AS IS THIS IS A VERY FAST CAR! ITS CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT, NO DENTS,DRIVER SEAT IS A LITTLE WORN,THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR WINDOW WAS SHATTERED (KIDS I TELL YOU) SO ITS GONNA NEED TO BE REPLACED. THE MOTOR RUNS EXTREMLY WELL VERY STRONG AND SMOOTH THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING SO ITS GONNA NEED TO BE CHECKED OUT THE CAR STARTS AND DRIVES VERY WELL ITS BEEN VERY WELL KEPT UP, I DONT KNOW THE HISTORY ON THIS VEHICLE, I DID A FAX REPORT ITS NEVER BEEN WRECKED EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT CLEAN YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME CHECK FOR YOURSELF. IM SELLING THIS CAR AS IS I HAVE THE OFFICIAL BILL OF SALE WHICH WILL GET YOU THE TITLE. I AM TRYING TO MAKE A FAIR REPRESENTATION OF THE TRUE CONDITION OF THIS VEHICLE. I WILL BE GLAD TO PROVIDE ANY DETAILS ASKED, IM ASKING 2,500 FIRM I CAN BE REACHED AT 510-938-8710 THANKS

I remember seeing this car on craigslist before a long time back. It still had the transmission problem and if I recall it had a clean title back then. Cars can be salvaged in California for whatever reason. If the insurance says it cost more to fix then it's worth then it's salvaged. Some examples are accidents, theft, flood, vandalism, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:

10/17/2005 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pinecrest, CA
Title issued or updated

It was probably the most voided of information I've ever seen on a carfax for a 13 year old vehicle.

Maybe that transaction on 10/17 was the time it was salvaged.

Does seem way strange.[/QUOTE]

Pinecrest is up in the woods. I know there are some towns in California that don't smog. Another question should be is why is the car in the bay area now?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

I'll call the DMV tomorrow and see what info they can give me. I'm curious as to who has the title in their hands and if there's a lien against it.

Thanks for the number

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 PM

I went ahead and uploaded the carfax to my locker if anyone is interested. Not one odometer check. Strange. I understand it being a small town, but still... California is usually the most documenting state I've seen.

This might be a theft car. I mean, why no title, and just a "transferable" bill of sale? Even a totaled car gets a salvage title, and he says "salvage title", then switches to "bill of sale". Hmmmm...