SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
NOOOO! Dude if you had any luck at all.......... Well it's only wireing, did alot of it get burned? Do you have alot of wires melted together?
Naa man, not much damage at all.... as far as I can see, no wores melted together and nothing else really bad.... I would probably have to look really hard to try to find some melted together.... But I don't think that there are any...

You're right, I don't seem to have any luck at all

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Alright guys, I have a camera and will start nice and early tomorrow by posting pics of the incodent and checking all the minor things out before I go to work.... Expect pictures to be up before 10am tomorrow....

Thanks for all the help guys!!! I really appreciate it so much!!!

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Naa man, not much damage at all.... as far as I can see, no wores melted together and nothing else really bad.... I would probably have to look really hard to try to find some melted together.... But I don't think that there are any...

You're right, I don't seem to have any luck at all
ARE YOU STINKING KIDDING ME... you have tons of luck Chris.. the problem is it's all bad luck.

Good luck to you, and Godspeed getting it back up and running.
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning
Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Ya electrical is fun I just got done with the wiring for a wrx swap into a legacy.

I hope you get you car back on the road soon.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The fuse box seems OK. the fire was the "klut h fluid"(my see still dosen't work )
The fire was in the trans tunnel, possibly kaused by renaining wiring left from an amp..from the previous owner.,
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
The fuse box seems OK. the fire was the "klut h fluid"(my see still dosen't work )
The fire was in the trans tunnel, possibly kaused by renaining wiring left from an amp..from the previous owner.,
Correct..... The firedepartment removed the wore and since then there has been no more fire.... So catching on fire is now out of my mind.... It is just if I have screwed up something or not......

As I said when I talked to you earlier Tom, I believe that the ECU is fine since it idles fine until I turn on something electrical... Then all hell brakes loose and the car just dies and I can't get it cranked till I unplug the battery and reset the ECU.... Then it cranks just fine.... strange.... But then again, that's why electrical guys get paid so much

Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Correct..... The firedepartment removed the wore and since then there has been no more fire.... So catching on fire is now out of my mind.... It is just if I have screwed up something or not......

As I said when I talked to you earlier Tom, I believe that the ECU is fine since it idles fine until I turn on something electrical... Then all hell brakes loose and the car just dies and I can't get it cranked till I unplug the battery and reset the ECU.... Then it cranks just fine.... strange.... But then again, that's why electrical guys get paid so much
Chris,
Can you trace the wire in question back to where it got its "Juice"? Given that it starts up fine and idles fine until you turn on something electrical, my guess is that the fire did fry some wires together - i.e. when you turn on something outside of the ignition circuit you're throwing a short into the system. Is it "anything" electrical, or just certain circuits that causes all hell to break loose?
-Bill (A mechanical engineer that has been known to work with electrical engineers )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chris,
Can you trace the wire in question back to where it got its "Juice"? Given that it starts up fine and idles fine until you turn on something electrical, my guess is that the fire did fry some wires together - i.e. when you turn on something outside of the ignition circuit you're throwing a short into the system. Is it "anything" electrical, or just certain circuits that causes all hell to break loose?
-Bill (A mechanical engineer that has been known to work with electrical engineers )
well the last time that I tried it.... I did the whole 30 minutes reset thing on the battery..... Then pluged it all back up and the car started fine.... Just like normal.... I let it idle for about 45 seconds, then turned on my parking lights, no diffrence..... Then turned on my Driving (Lo beam) lights and dashboard lights came on (oil and check engine) and the engine died.... The wierd thing is this.... I can remove my key from the ignition and the oil and check engine lights are still iluminated..... They go out eventually but that is one of the really strange things that happens.... There are others.... Like the door locks, I can hear them unlocking (or trying to) when I try to crank the car after the above mentioned screw up.... Also the interior light is very dim and other small lights are really dim..... But the engine turns over fine.... It just won't fire up....

Any thoughts??

Old 08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
NOOOO! Dude if you had any luck at all.......... Well it's only wireing, did alot of it get burned? Do you have alot of wires melted together?

Yeah! It's not like you blew an engine or somethin'.

G'luck. Looks like these guys have it under control. I'm one, as Bill said, that has the Manual -- If I can help, gimme a call -- that is if you still have my number. If not, PM me and I'll get it to you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Yeah! It's not like you blew an engine or somethin'.

G'luck. Looks like these guys have it under control. I'm one, as Bill said, that has the Manual -- If I can help, gimme a call -- that is if you still have my number. If not, PM me and I'll get it to you.
Thanks bunches 'El Presidente.... Naa, I don't have your number anymore, but I'll PM you if I need it... Thanks again...

It looks like I will be giving Boxer4Racing a call and trying to dump it back on them... I just don't have the time to troubleshoot it myself... But I am gonna give it a try.... Thanks again to all of you that are willing to help me out!!!

Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
definitely sounds like some wires fried.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Wires might be melted together.

Or it can be as simple as a bad ground ...maybe now there's excess corrosion or the wire has really high resistance and must be changed. What might be happening is the electrical system is searching for new grounds - maybe through your low beam bulbs. When you turn the headlights on, the ground is gone and all hell breaks loose.

If you were closer to NJ I'd definitely take a look for you. Can you get pictures of the area where the fire took place? There's not much around the where the clutch master cylinder would be except useless AT wires and 6 or so others. ...but there are beefy grounds around there hooking up to the trans

That really sucks though - sorry to hear it.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 AM

Pistures coming within the hour....

Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 AM

Alright guys..... Here are the pics....

Those were all the location of the small fire.....

Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 AM

These are of the ground that was shorting out.... We removed the wire that was in contact with it.....

There are those.....