Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 10:35 PM
bthomas

Dumping the SVX

Dont know if anyone picked it up in the Matt Slap thread but after 1 year I am getting rid of the SVX. Mine is the FWD version so its a no go in the snow. Being a firefighter I need to be able to get to the Firehouse in the snow especially during state of emergencys. So I will be getting rid of the SVX and getting into either a 99 Ford F 150 5.4L V8 4x4 Reg. Cab, long bed. or a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8. Prolly the Ford though, the F150 is rated much, much better. Apparently the Ram has Tranny problems... Dont need any more of those.. anyways my car will prolly be on the lot at Matt Slap soon. Its a 94 L, FWD bottom of the line. Brand new tires though and its got 57000 miles on it. No accidents. It was fun for the first few months I had it I guess.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:07 AM
jklmnopqrst

Bryan: sent you a PM. Get back to me soon. Thanks.

-James
Old 07-19-2004, 08:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If you want to get around in the snow, I might recommend an Outback or Legacy. They're far, far safer for any road conditions you'll encounter.

If you need to haul big, heavy things in the back, get the truck.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-19-2004, 09:11 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
If you want to get around in the snow, I might recommend an Outback or Legacy. They're far, far safer for any road conditions you'll encounter.

I LOVE my Outback. Very good in the snow with all season tires, practically unstoppable with snow tires. I spent many mornings this past winter laughing at my neighbors as they tried to get out of their slick driveways and up our hilly street in their FWD or RWD cars.

I even pushed an old Plymouth K car out of my dad's steep driveway one night. Even with the added stress I NEVER spun a tire.

Dave
Old 07-19-2004, 09:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
That's the thing - people think that in order to drive in snow you need a big truck. The truth is that those trucks are actualy far less safe in snow than an AWD car.

I had a pickup before my SVX, and the only hting it was better for (in terms of snow) was really, really deep stuff. But even in VT for two winters my SVX never encountered snow it couldn't handle. And Vermont gets snow, man.

I can see how the FWD SVXs would have a problem with the stuff, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
bthomas

Before the SVX I had a 98 Outback Limited. Great car. I am just more into trucks now. I am moving around a lot so a truck is more practical. The Outback was good in the snow but only to a certain point.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
red95svx

Quote:
I can see how the FWD SVXs would have a problem with the stuff, though.

I'm sure they do. I never drove my 2WD 94 in the snow, but judging by the fact that I could spin my front tires easily I'm willing to bet they aren't great in snow.

Dave
Old 07-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
And Vermont gets snow, man.
Spent three winters there myself commuting in a 4WD GL wagon and never had a problem, and for a guy from Georgia, that's saying something.

dcb
Old 07-19-2004, 10:02 AM
red95svx

This reminds my of the 88 turbo RX my father owned a few years back. He bought it cheap, fixed it up and eventually sold it. In the meantime, I drove it while I was going to college in NH. We had a NASTY snow storm my last year there (97) and between the Dual Range 4WD and the center diff. lock that little car was a BEAST! My friends and I drove that thing all over the place during and after that storm and never once got stuck. I remember one girl from New Mexico had a early 90's 5.0 Mustang. She thought that car was the bomb...until winter hit. That thing sat unused for months. Now maybe my Suby wasn't the fastest thing out there, but at least I could drive it year-round!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-19-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:05 AM

did i just seee firefighter?? WOOO WOO

hey man, get the ford, ever look up dodge in the dictionary...means to avoid!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:39 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Hey Kelli I might become a firefighter too ......But anyway AWD are great in snow. FWD isnt terrible but you will feel so much safer driving AWD in the snow. I have driven all three types in the snow here...our FWD accord and camry ...RWD mercedes benz....and of course my AWD SVX. The camry was far better than the accord..probably because of the heavier engine. Accords are light weight toys with insurance. The benz is absolutley horrible in the snow. Absolutley no control what so ever. When i drove my SVX this past winter it was great but not as great as it could have been because i was driving with 2 bald tires. Havent been able to test it in the snow with my new tires on. We live on a huge hill and all our family lives close by so when it snows bad and someone needs a ride to get back up the big hill who do you think they call? ( and its not the ghost busters )

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-19-2004, 11:27 PM
bthomas

SoobieSVX-
Make sure you really want to join the fire service before you do it. Its not what you see on TV. Inside a working structure fire there is NO visibillity and it is very hot, generally even to the point of being quite painful.. There is little to no glory. It is VERY strenuous (depending on the load of your department). My department is VERY, VERY busy. Not tryin to talk you out of it, just think about it first. All props too you if you decide to do it though. Just be prepared to put in tons of time and tons of energy. Good firefighters arn't born overnight. Expierience is everything in the fire service.
Anyway sorry that wasnt about SVXs. However I am considering getting a 2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 Extended cab with Dual Exhaust out the back... NICE!!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I think soobie wants to become a FF to get a certain girl's attention there.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:10 AM

WOOO WOO

firemen rock!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:52 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by bthomas
SoobieSVX-
Make sure you really want to join the fire service before you do it. Its not what you see on TV. Inside a working structure fire there is NO visibillity and it is very hot, generally even to the point of being quite painful.. There is little to no glory. It is VERY strenuous (depending on the load of your department). My department is VERY, VERY busy. Not tryin to talk you out of it, just think about it first. All props too you if you decide to do it though. Just be prepared to put in tons of time and tons of energy. Good firefighters arn't born overnight. Expierience is everything in the fire service.
Anyway sorry that wasnt about SVXs. However I am considering getting a 2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 Extended cab with Dual Exhaust out the back... NICE!!
Yea i know the risks and how it is....i worked in a fire house for about 11 months. Wasnt an actual fire fighter but i did assist them on calls and things like that. Also worked in fire prevention for a few months too. Im studying criminal justice and am probably gonna become a cop. But i am going to take the firemans test too.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network