How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence
... there's been oil in the coolant for MONTHS. I don't understand why this wasn't addressed sooner. I mean, I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced, so wouldn't it have saved THEM a lot of work and ME a LOT of money to just replace the head gaskets right then?
Oil in the coolant is never a good sign. If your mechanic was aware ot this, I'm surprised he didn't say something. As to saving time, you have to remember: To a mechanic, time is (your) money.

dcb
Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

I had a head gasket replaced and it blew again after another 50,000 miles. I was able to get a JUNK YARD engine for $3000 installed. So far So GOOD! My baby now has 254,000 on it. The Junk yard engine only had 40,000 miles on it.

I also experienced some problems when my overflow reservoir line clogged causing some overheating problems.

Good Luck
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 07-15-2004, 04:11 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian
I hate to point out the obvious, but perhaps your SVX is lonley, it may need another SVX to keep it company...or it just wants your paycheck
Oh, I WISH I could get my SVX a partner, really I do...

And he definitely just wants my paycheck (my SVX is a dude). I should dump him for somebody a little less high-maintenance but the SVX is too good!

Umm yeah...

IT IS CONFIRMED AS OF 2:47 PM MOUNTAIN TIME -

DIAGNOSIS
Old 07-15-2004, 04:12 PM
DearPrudence

DANG TABS

ahem

DIAGNOSIS -

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

I bet you all are sooooo shocked.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
DearPrudence

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Clydesvx
I had a head gasket replaced and it blew again after another 50,000 miles. I was able to get a JUNK YARD engine for $3000 installed. So far So GOOD! My baby now has 254,000 on it. The Junk yard engine only had 40,000 miles on it.

I also experienced some problems when my overflow reservoir line clogged causing some overheating problems.

Good Luck
Oh this is not encouraging AT ALL.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
To a mechanic, time is (your) money.
Don't I know it.

All I have to say is -

THIS SUCKS
Old 07-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Poor Het.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:36 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone
Poor Het.

Poor MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

The car can be fixed, but in the meantime I don't have a car! I have a rental car for the weekend but I can't afford to rent one for an entire month That's about how long my car's gonna be down, because it's going to take a while for me to get the cash together and then I have NO idea how long it takes to replace the head gasket.

This is going to be an interesting experience, for sure. I live by my mantra, "Everything happens for a reason" so I'm sure an opportunity will present itself. I'm having a very hard time finding the message in THIS particular situation, however.

Why don't we have a crying smilie??????????
Old 07-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Sue isn't really striped

You're right, poor you..... head gasket is a bad problem. Glad to hear that you plan on fixing it instead of giving up on the car. I remember seeing light rail thingies in SLC when I was there before Reno - is the public transportation system any good? You seem to have a close relationship with your mechanic, any way you can get a deal or arrange to make monthly payments or something? Sorry this happened.

I dont think I believe that reason for everything stuff. Shrug. Although I do believe things are the way they are now because of everything that happened previously.... Eh, my brain hurts.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:42 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
How much is it going to cost?
Our parts car had a blown head gasket and the quotes I was getting were in the $2K range, due to the labor involved, not the parts....

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Would putting in a used engine be cheaper?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Peach

Dear Prudence,

It seems that if you blew head gaskets that a sign of the coolant would be visible on the spark plugs, while not super easy to take out, the plug should reveal wet, green deposits...Also steam should have come out the end of the pipes in back. For sure it would run poorly. If it still hits on all six cylinders you could be in luck. Subies are like a family member and when there sick it hurts. Best luck on repairs..

92 pearlie
Old 07-15-2004, 11:45 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone
You're right, poor you..... head gasket is a bad problem. Glad to hear that you plan on fixing it instead of giving up on the car. I remember seeing light rail thingies in SLC when I was there before Reno - is the public transportation system any good? You seem to have a close relationship with your mechanic, any way you can get a deal or arrange to make monthly payments or something? Sorry this happened.

I dont think I believe that reason for everything stuff. Shrug. Although I do believe things are the way they are now because of everything that happened previously.... Eh, my brain hurts.
Well... my head hurts, too! LOL I'm just one of those nerdy philosophical types And public trans in SLC sucks unless you're downtown. My job is 20 miles south of downtown, 5 miles from the nearest light rail station, and there are no buses that come near here. Plus I get off work at 1 a.m., and I think the buses stop running at midnight. I don't even know. I've never NOT had a car. Ugh, and then I have to take my kids to daycare, pick them up, go grocery shopping.... AGHHHHH!!!!

I am just NOT going to think about it.

I'm adopting my brother's 2000 Mitsubishi Galant until I figure out what to do with the MA5T3R. I'm keeping my SVX no matter what, and will eventually get it fixed. *sigh*

BTW - My grammar sucks tonight, which is why all these posts are being edited

Last edited by DearPrudence; 07-15-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:49 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
How much is it going to cost?
Our parts car had a blown head gasket and the quotes I was getting were in the $2K range, due to the labor involved, not the parts....
$2k?! OUCH...

That does it. I'm just going to go to school to be a mechanic. That would be cheaper than the repair work and then I can just fix the @#$%er myself

Last edited by DearPrudence; 07-15-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:53 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach
Subies are like a family member and when there sick it hurts. Best luck on repairs..
Thank you Peach Yes, it does hurt. I was telling my soon-to-be boyfriend that it's kinda like having a family member in the hospital who you KNOW is going to die. I had to drop by my mechanic's shop today to get the insurance card out of the glove box. I wanted to give my car a hug, kiss it on its little hood and say "It'll be okay, baby... hang in there, mommy loves you"