How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 AM

Good point Collin..
I check my speedo against mile markers and it is dead on. I also fill up at the same gas station (even the same pump usually), and fill the same way every time to ensure accuracy.. (ahh the quirks i have acquired from my father) i have been getting 25-28..
Maybe that knock sensor code really does mean theres a bad sensor, if some of these guys really get that mileage. I wish mine were that high.
-Ryan

p.s. as far as idle goes, i am around 500 rpms or something, i know its abour half way under 1000.. but thats not a big deal unless you sit in traffic a lot, and if so just turn the engine off.. as long as your ignition system is in good shape, (i.e. car does crank more than a half second when you start it hot, it just starts right up) it should not waste much gas starting back up.. (this only helps for longer stops in traffic though)

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!

Last edited by 97LSi004; 05-21-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:07 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ng+the+numbers

With all due respect, 38 MPG @ 90 MPH seems like wishful thinking to me, too. I calculated nearly 30 MPG on a recent, 100 mile highway run (mostly with cruise, no A/C), and for a car and engine the size of the SVX, conventional wisdom would hold that that's pretty !$%*ing remarkable.

dcb
Old 05-21-2004, 08:12 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ng+the+numbers

With all due respect, 38 MPG @ 90 MPH seems like wishful thinking to me, too. I calculated nearly 30 MPG on a recent, 100 mile highway run (mostly with cruise, no A/C), and for a car and engine the size of the SVX, conventional wisdom would hold that that's pretty !$%*ing remarkable.

dcb

Yeah, somethings not right. The engineers try everything they can to get the car to have high gas mileage when they do the tests. What is it that you are doing that they didn't???

I'm thinking it may be a simple math error. Are you calculating using an 18.5 gallon tank?

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 05-21-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:28 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by 97LSi004
38?? thats unbelievable.. im not calling you a liar.. but.. how?
Well I'll throw the Bull$hit flag on that one... There's no way... Sorry, but I'd have to see the miles and gallons that ya put in to actually work that one out for myself... Really think some math was done wrong on that one though

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-21-2004, 08:33 AM

Since my 5 speed swap the best mpg I've seen was 24.5mpg Do we all know why??? For one, I haven't done that little ECU mod to fix the idle yet... And I usually drive it like it should be driven...

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Re: Re: I just 28 MPG

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I never remember the octane rating

I use Shell Premium
Try Chevron or Union 76 premium. Might stop the knocking, although it shouldn't be knocking even on Shell.

I'm guessing that the gas mileage is better with slow accelerations because you are probably keeping the ecu in closed loop mode where the a/f ratio is a bit leaner. If you invested a few bucks in a narrowband O2 sensor meter, you can watch when the ecu switches between closed and open loop modes.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Green Marine,

Don't be so quick to throw the BS towel around. It might be a typo or severe lack of long division skills.

We have enough members attacking other members. Let's all just back off a minute and try to promote a kinder, gentler SVX World Network site.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Green Marine,

Don't be so quick to throw the BS towel around. It might be a typo or severe lack of long division skills.

We have enough members attacking other members. Let's all just back off a minute and try to promote a kinder, gentler SVX World Network site.
Common Larry I used Smileys That means I was only joking about the BS Flag Doesn't it??

Old 05-21-2004, 04:07 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
i suppose that my 38 is unfair to the rest of you, it did happen
it was on my transmission with broken awd, so it was FWD, it's an L and this was before i put in the heavier electric seats,
so i guess technically the car was not stock in comparison to the rest of the svx's out there
but i could see a FWD L getting the same milage, the beauty of the insanely high stock gearing and very low drag coeficient, is that at 90 in 4th the car is still cruising at around 3000rpm
Old 05-21-2004, 04:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
i suppose that my 38 is unfair to the rest of you, it did happen
it was on my transmission with broken awd, so it was FWD, it's an L and this was before i put in the heavier electric seats,
so i guess technically the car was not stock in comparison to the rest of the svx's out there
but i could see a FWD L getting the same milage, the beauty of the insanely high stock gearing and very low drag coeficient, is that at 90 in 4th the car is still cruising at around 3000rpm
The very highest I've gotten is 31.4mpg, and that's not common. Typically I'll get 27mpg or so.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't buy 38mpg in any SVX, FWD or AWD. Even if your transfer clutch was badly worn so your car was only driving your front wheels, you're still carrying the extra weight of an AWD SVX. The rear diff. doesn't go away.

Until I see some sort of documented proof of 38mpg, I'm going to help Chris hold the BS flag. I'm not calling you a liar - I just think it's likely you made some sort of error.

Edit: I'd actually like to know specifically how much fuel the SVX is flowing through its injectors in those conditions. I would be willing to bet money that a figure of 38mpg is impossible at over 3,000 at 90mph.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 05-21-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Obviously Nomad was driving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte, which if you look at a map, is all downhill driving.
To repeat an old personal observation, on a 3000 mile summer trip from Baltimore to Houston & back three years ago in a decently tuned '92, encountering 75% highway driving at 70-80+ mph, & 25% urban/suburban (looking for lodging/sightseeing), & rather limited drag racing or drifting time, I averaged 27.75 mpg using only 91-93 octane with the A/C running most of the time. I figure at a steady 65 mpg without A/C the car will probably break the 30 mpg barrier. But 38mpg???? I gotta' start drinkin' what Nomad's drinkin'.

Ron (93 octane goes well with Jack Daniels).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Mine's a 92 L, I usually use less gas than the other SVXs when we get together, dunno if it's because of the lighter seats, not having a sunroof to open, newer O2 sensors or what. I think I get the best milage a tad above 70mph.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
With pure highway driving the best I've reached is 29mpg (US). I have not heard of anyone getting more than 31mpg (US). I would say that anything more than that is impossible without some sort of error (eg. pump shutting off early while refueling or not resetting the trip meter).
Old 07-02-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
With pure highway driving the best I've reached is 29mpg (US).
Still my best, as well.

dcb
Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
jklmnopqrst

Getting above 31 MPG is not too difficult if you drive a FWD model. I've done it on a number of occasions with pure highway driving between 60 and 70 mph. Granted, it is INCREDIBLY boring to drive between 60 and 70 but I was doing it just to satisfy my curiosity (to see how my gas mileage would turn out). My highest MPG is 33, and it was quite a task to reach it because it was the result of driving at 60 mph (no fluctuations) from Seattle to Moscow, Idaho. K&N air filters really do work.