How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-16-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell

...Somethings never change these days do they? (i.e. Baja)
For years my fantasy job has been to be marketing director for Subaru of America. I mean, I'm not especially bright, but when it comes to targeting a market for their fine automobiles, Subaru just doesn't seem to have a clue.

I'd take the gig on a straight commission basis.

dcb
Old 02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Brock94SVX

the baja -lol- good example....bad car..great idea..bad execution... but a low slung two door...i really learn toward adding hte back half doors to make it more versitile for the mass's and if done right you won't even tell they are there...except they add weight...and that is one the killers to svx as far as a racing standpoint....and yes..its sad but SUBARU has no clue it seems...they are one to something with the new WRX...but they need to soften the design and leave the "ralley" look and try a design based on the combo of both SVX & WRX...i'd know i'd be a player for one if it was in the price range of 22-26k as i'm sure would alot of people....but AWD would be a must on the higher end, oh and a 5spd and myabe its me but I have always liked the "cat eye" type lights lil slits... and i think its possible to build a two door coupe "type" off the WRX chassis and drivetrain.... the turbo 4 2.5 would keep the price low... and i feel the market might be ready for a AWD coupes again....look at all the coupe that are returning (RX-8, 350z, infinity G35, toyato celica/mr2 , the chrysler crossfire,Ford GT, the new Vette,) not that thease cars are in the same class but..if there wasn't a market for coupes.. I don't know why major manafactor is comming out with all new or redesigned coupes... I don't get it...SUBARU needs to think outside the "box" and come up with a truly great car (not just performance based...yeah the WRX is good but i think its uglier than sin -lol- the only car SUBARU has come out with that look decent is the NEW (04) front style of the WRX and the Legacy sedan (only the new stuff) like they got thier head out of you know where.... but they still need to ... go a lil more on the design..the SVX is truly a very good looking car...not bad for being a 15 year old design...

Last edited by Brock94SVX; 02-16-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:12 PM
YodaIsGod

Quote:
Originally posted by Brock94SVX
as far as a racing standpoint....and yes..its sad but SUBARU has no clue it seems...they are one to something with the new WRX...

i think Subaru does have a clue about what it's doing from a racing standpoint. Guess you've never seen WRC?!

The SVX was overpriced, and badly marketed. And yeah, it's looks turned away a lot of buyers. Even though the new WRX (2001+) looks ugly to many people, they are selling the crap out of them. The need to take that marketing and duplicate it with a possible SVX.

I think it would take a lot more work to take the the Impreza chassis and create a 2door. Simply because this current car was designed from the outset as a sedan/wagon. But you never know.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
This is a repost.

At the end of 2001, I've talked to designer/production manager of WRX from FHI (with the help of a translator). At the middle of 2002, I've talked to VP of SOA sales. Yes the VP.

In the discussion, we covered a few different topics. One of them is the SVX and future 2 door coupe. SVX both agreed was a good idea at first but a mistake they made with a couple of things. One of them is it was made too late for it's days and the other is the marketing/DOT regulation. By the time SVX came out, people are losing interest in 2 door coupe (80s are over) and are more interested in SUVs. The marketing sucked big _____ and SOA wanted to make an ad with SVX running at 150+mph. DOT shot it down and said no so we have that dustbowl ad.

As for bringing back SVX, it will not happen. They *might* bring in a legacy 2 door coupe but it's all up in the air. Currently, WRXes are selling like hot cakes and they want to make money on them.

Put it this way guys, FHI is a small fish in the big automaker market. Compare to Honda and Toyota, FHI is tiny when it comes to auto production. They are happy with WRX and if they invade the other market, big fish might kill them.

SVX will never come out again guys, just give it up.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Brock94SVX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seraph
[B]This is a repost.

At the end of 2001, I've talked to designer/production manager of WRX from FHI (with the help of a translator). At the middle of 2002, I've talked to VP of SOA sales. Yes the VP.

In the discussion, we covered a few different topics. One of them is the SVX and future 2 door coupe. SVX both agreed was a good idea at first but a mistake they made with a couple of things. One of them is it was made too late for it's days and the other is the marketing/DOT regulation. By the time SVX came out, people are losing interest in 2 door coupe (80s are over) and are more interested in SUVs. The marketing sucked big _____ and SOA wanted to make an ad with SVX running at 150+mph. DOT shot it down and said no so we have that dustbowl ad.

As for bringing back SVX, it will not happen. They *might* bring in a legacy 2 door coupe but it's all up in the air. Currently, WRXes are selling like hot cakes and they want to make money on them.

Put it this way guys, FHI is a small fish in the big automaker market. Compare to Honda and Toyota, FHI is tiny when it comes to auto production. They are happy with WRX and if they invade the other market, big fish might kill them.

gee....it still feels good to dream....

and i think the general idea was for them to come out with a 2door coupe that would stand in for where the SVX left off..not replace it or make a new one..i get the impression people just want them to build a nice fast lighter than SVX sports coupe that doesn't have the sticker shock the SVX did...and the WRX yeah they meay sell alot of them....but co'om who buys them for the way they look....i mean theres really not that many AWD sport type sedans (mits evolution, WRX of course.....and???? who) so they buy it outta of performence....which is the smart reason but i think they'd be a much higher calling if they came out with something less ralley looking....and more sporty....a "subaru in desquise if you will"
Old 02-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:

gee....it still feels good to dream....

and i think the general idea was for them to come out with a 2door touring coupe that would stand in for where the SVX left off..not replace it or make a new one..i get the impression people just want them to build a nice fast lighter than SVX sports coupe that doesn't have the sticker shock the SVX did...and the WRX yeah they meay sell alot of them....but co'om who buys them for the way they look....i mean theres really not that many AWD sport type sedans (mits evolution, WRX of course.....and???? who) so they buy it outta of performence....which is the smart reason but i think they'd be a much higher calling if they came out with something less ralley looking....and more sporty....a "subaru in desquise if you will"

B-Roc

I somewhat agree with you there. IMHO, evo and WRX are tiny. I am looking for a good bigger 2 door coupe. If they come out with a Outback in 2 door with VDC or in 6 speed, I'd go out and get one in a heart beat. Outback with 6 speed might happen. BIIS is a ugly piece of crap (again IMHO). So, my choice is to move and get a different car or make one from scratch (that idea has been rubbing me for a while now).
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-16-2004, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Brock,

The SRX was the name of the souped up SVX that the guys running the old Kinetic Concepts SVX site were planning to build.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Hater

Quote:
[B...and the WRX yeah they meay sell alot of them....but co'om who buys them for the way they look........which is the smart reason but i think they'd be a much higher calling if they came out with something less ralley looking....and more sporty....a "subaru in desquise if you will" [/B]
*i* bought a WRX for the way it looks. i like elegant, beautiful-looking cars such the SVX, 928, 850, etc., but like the Gemini i am, i also like a purposeful-looking car whose appearance is all business. there are cars that are works of art, and there are cars that say "i'm gonna kick your ass!" i like both.

believe it or not, winning WRC titles actually helps to sell cars. millions who have grown up racing EVO's and STi's on Gran Turismo are out buying cars now. guess what is now available in the U.S.? the kid who customized his 22B on the Playstation can now do it to a real STi. they could make these cars 'less rally', but that is what is selling them.

purty, in a bad way
|
V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subaru_impreza_wrx_01.jpg (55.0 KB, 84 views)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
greg

Just my opinion!

I keep hearing that the SVX was overpriced and I completly disagree. THe SVX, though very expensive for a Subaru car, was not expensive at all compared to the competitors prices and the long list of standard toys that it came equipped. Even the new VDC is over $30,000. I could be mistaken, but I think the VDC is pushing $40,000.

If ever, and I am not even going to fathum the idea, but if Subaru Decided to make a new SVX I think that the car would have to be still the fleet car. I also think that the price tag would reflect that. I am just guessing but anyhting they put out now will be loaded and mean, therefore in the $45,000 to $55,000 price range would be about right. Anything less would be competition for their other line-ups.

And as for all-wheel drive cars that can exceed the evo and WRX, How about the Volvo S60 R, this car is amazing and I would have to say it is something that I may be trading the SVX. I have never driven anything as auxilarating as an SVX until the day I drove the S60! It is amazing; very stable, smooth shifting, no feeling of trasfer of power and all together well made. Although it is $45,000 I think that in campared to todays cars that are being offered it is a remarkable deal!

Just my thoughts,
~G
Old 02-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Re: Just my opinion!

Quote:
Originally posted by greg
I keep hearing that the SVX was overpriced and I completly disagree. ~G
G,

Try this line of thought. At the end of 1980,early 1990s, Subaru is not widely known in the US. It's like buying a Haundai, kia or a samsung car. Would you buy a Kia if Kia sells cars at 30k? I might buy a samsung for around 18k. But there is no way in hell I'd buy a kia at 30k. Haundai, I may pay around 22s. Same thing. Subaru is not a well known name back then and thus, no one really want to buy it.

Give it a few years, All the Korean cars will be priced around the same range as Hondas and Toyotas. People know they are usable and they are a lot more reliable compare to 10 years ago.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've said it once . . . well, maybe twice . . . okay, SEVERAL times. A WRX is nothing more than a Rally car in its "sundy-go-to-meetin'" clothes.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
greg

Re: Re: Just my opinion!

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

G,

Try this line of thought. At the end of 1980,early 1990s, Subaru is not widely known in the US. It's like buying a Haundai, kia or a samsung car. Would you buy a Kia if Kia sells cars at 30k? I might buy a samsung for around 18k. But there is no way in hell I'd buy a kia at 30k. Haundai, I may pay around 22s. Same thing. Subaru is not a well known name back then and thus, no one really want to buy it.

Give it a few years, All the Korean cars will be priced around the same range as Hondas and Toyotas. People know they are usable and they are a lot more reliable compare to 10 years ago.
I see your point, kinda, but I still disagree. Take into consideration the cost of an automabile, especailly a fully loaded one, with any company the car still has a value. The value per dollar was fair in comparisaon to other companies. And the fact that the car was available with every feature and more than some cars priced double...The SVX was a bargain! No matter how you look at it there has to be a fair market vaule for a product! Now to say that Subaru out did themselves and produced a product that they overbuilt for their reputaition and could not produce that image to sell the car was another story! But dollar for dollar the new SVX was a great car for a great price!

~G
Old 02-16-2004, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just my opinion!

Quote:
Originally posted by greg

But dollar for dollar the new SVX was a great car for a great price!

~G

So is the NSX
Old 02-16-2004, 09:43 PM
YodaIsGod

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just my opinion!

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

So is the NSX
and so is the Corvette Z06

Did someone mention the 22B?!

*drool*
Old 02-16-2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i like elegant, beautiful-looking cars such the SVX, 928, 850, etc., but like the Gemini i am, i also like a purposeful-looking car whose appearance is all business. there are cars that are works of art, and there are cars that say "i'm gonna kick your ass!" i like both.
(...928, 850: heavy envy factor! i like your choices, alan. i can only add the DB9 to that list.)

the rex, and more-so the sti, strike me as being the wolf in sheeps clothing, like the original Mini Cooper and the Sunbeam Tiger. there's nothing about 'em that says "elegant" or "kick ass". they look cute but harmless, until the driver has occasion to show what they can do to the unsuspecting driver in the next lane. i read a quote from a new sti owner in Autoweek a while back, who claims he gladly gave up his vette for the sti...