Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Wish I woulda kept the brand new resistor I sold to paisan a few weeks ago.. If that's your problem, you can get a new one from subaruparts.com for about $60. Putting it in is a snap! I'll show you Saturday.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 01-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
You might just try checking to make sure they remembered to plug it in after they replaced the tranny. I remember that one member, after having a tranny replacement, was having very hard shifts and found that the installer had failed to plug the resistor back in after the change.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Javelinman

Ok So I just got back from taking the SVX to the shop to see what is going on!
I have to have the POWER light in the dash replaced because mine is not working! Light is burned out!! They want $158.69 to replaced the light!
And the guy at the shop thinks it's one of the resistor in the transmission! And that is going to cost $500 plus to have it fixed plus the $158.69.. And they still don't know for sure what is wrong with the car.
Wow I've only had the car for 5 weeks and I'm going to be spending more money on repairs in one week then I spent on my last 3 jeeps I have had.

Javelinman
Old 01-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
DO NOT pay to get your power light fixed! All you should have to do is replace the bulb which costs under $2. If you want, I'll do it for $100

I'll show you how to get to it tomorrow.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 01-30-2004, 01:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
DO NOT pay to get your power light fixed! All you should have to do is replace the bulb which costs under $2. If you want, I'll do it for $100

I'll show you how to get to it tomorrow.

Here's a link to Lwin's how to, on removing the instrument cluster. From there, it should be easy to replace the bulb.

http://www.stars-gazer.com/~svxais/f...ter/index.html
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Javelinman

I'm going to try to do it myself tonight! Has anyone else done this before? Is there anything I should know?

Man I hope I can do it without jacking stuff up!

Javelinman
Old 01-30-2004, 03:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Javelinman
I'm going to try to do it myself tonight! Has anyone else done this before? Is there anything I should know?

Man I hope I can do it without jacking stuff up!

Javelinman
Obviously Lwin's done it (Seraph). On one of the photos, the instrument cluster is laying face down. You can see the back of the bulbs. It's a twist and pull, and replace situation. Just take your time and follow Lwin's directions.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Javelinman

pray for me!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Javelinman
pray for me!!!
You got it.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Talking He's going in!

Good luck with the cheap DIY fix.

Todd
Old 01-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Javelinman

Got the dash out and the bulb is good. It is still not lighting up, though. Do you have any other ideas of what the problem might be? Is there a sensor that controls when the light comes on, that could be disconnected somewhere?

Is it possible for the shop to be able to read error transmission codes without the POWER light working? They are telling me they have to have this light working. Is that BS?

I checked the fuse panel and all are good. So I am lost as to where to look next. I am trying to figure this out before I take it back to the shop, so that I can find out what is wrong with the transmission.

HELP!!!

P.S. Shelfy, call me on my cell phone if you read this.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:06 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yikes! It's about 18 degrees here. It sounds like it could be a "flow" problem. Try disconnecting the resistor behind the battery and see if anything changes. That's the dropping resistor to solenoid A. A regulates pressure. With the resistor unplugged, you'll get full line pressure. Try it for a short period (perhaps the drive home, this afternoon) and see how she reacts. Know, however, that your shifts will be MUCH firmer. Plug the resistor back in when you get home.
I leave this resistor unplugged. I like the firm shifts, especially at high RPMs into 3rd. Is that bad? Can it hurt my tranny?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX
A Subaru dealership should have a "Select Monitor" with which to read the codes.

Nextcube,
There are varied opinions on the unplugging of the resistor. There are some who have unplugged it and love it and have gone many miles with no ill effects. The argument is, "less slippage=less wear on friction material = longer lasting transmission. The other arguement is, "It's there for a reason. Don't unplug it." So, do what makes you feel good. Obviously, keeping it plugged in has never "saved" anyone's tranny.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-31-2004, 06:25 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
A Subaru dealership should have a "Select Monitor" with which to read the codes.

Nextcube,
There are varied opinions on the unplugging of the resistor. There are some who have unplugged it and love it and have gone many miles with no ill effects. The argument is, "less slippage=less wear on friction material = longer lasting transmission. The other arguement is, "It's there for a reason. Don't unplug it." So, do what makes you feel good. Obviously, keeping it plugged in has never "saved" anyone's tranny.
hehe...

well, duh, it is there for a reason. perhaps to make it shift smoother for the older people they thought would be driving it???

The only ill effect I could see is maybe more fluid pump wear, and stress on the mounts. But hey, my clutches aren't going to be worn down for a long while (hopefully...knock the SVX dashes faux wood)
Old 01-31-2004, 08:22 PM

Dropping resistor info

Quote:

Nextcube,
I can't access it anymore because I'm not a member of ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilder's Association), but in May 2002 they had an article on dropping resistors and the effects of changing them. Below find some edited text from an old thread on the subject. Keep in mind I'm not a tranny expert and if anyone can access the Gears site to get the article & make sure I understood it, it would help us all. http://www.gearsmagazine.com/2002-05/2002-05_40.pdf

Judge for yourself but keeping it plugged in can lead to premature solenoid A failure due to too high a current. Not having it plugged in can lead to failure of the pressure regulator value. What to do??? I made a custom resistor for my car about 20k miles ago - but again let me caution all - I have no idea what the heck I'm doing - it just made sense to me at the time

From Alldata, solenoid A on the SVX should have a resistance between 1.5 and 4.5 ohms.

The article writer offers an opinion that to maximize pressure while avoiding failure of the pressure regulator valve, the solenoid should see about 0.2A. The values for the stock resistor value and solenoid A's resistance, taken at central values put the solenoid current at around 1 amp (too much in the writer's opinion).

Working the numbers for 0.2A, that corresponds to a total resistance value of 66 ohms (given 13.8V as max seen by the system, using 14V only changes the value to 70 ohms).

Since the solenoid has a value between 1.5 and 4.5 ohms, the dropping resistor value, to maximize pressure and still be consistent with pressure regulator protection, would be slightly over 60 ohms.

Here's the link to the thread I cut & pasted from:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=9899