IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-24-2001, 01:37 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: suddenly i feel left out......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
the svx is the oddest car i have ever owned. my dream oddball car would be the volkswagen corrado. i love that car and it has pretty good performance potential.
Yep me too...I think it may be my next car. The downside to them is people want a huge amount of money for them. The only ones with a reasonable price tag have nearly 200K miles on them.

The VR6 has less potential than the G60 though, but the VR6 makes a better platform for minor mods. A friend of mine just bought a complete G60 motor from a wrecker he is going to squish into a Scirroco body. Now that will be fun.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 09-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Ai no Corrado!

Interesting you chaps like Sciroccos and Corrados.

The original Sciroccos were very handsome coupes, designed by our very own Senor Giugiaro. Personally I still hanker after a Storm version with the leather interior. They were very "complete" motors.

Also on my hunting list is a VR6 Corrado. The G60 is more tunable, but not as nice a car as the V6, also dreadful owner profile [speed-crazy baseball cap wearing gob****es] so the cars are driven to death. VR6 bought by genteel folk like ourselves, and lavished with care, much safer second hand proposition.

Incidentally, if you are into them you may have noticed this. The original Giugiaro model was criticised for being too small inside, had a few other poor features like poor lights and so on. VW in their wisdom decided to redesign the car themselves in-house. They made the car bigger, in defense, the shape was not too bad, just a little bland. But the car lost its' soul and identity.

When the next redesign came up, they went back to the original shape. Look carefully at the early car and the Corrado, the profile is very similar, but the Corrado is bigger. Senor Giugiaro's sense of sculpture is vindicated!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-24-2001, 03:39 PM

Re: Ai no Corrado!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Interesting you chaps like Sciroccos and Corrados.
Well seeing my next VW will be my 6th...I would have to say I like almost all of the VW line.

Ryan

Old 09-24-2001, 04:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Ai no Corrado!

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100

Well seeing my next VW will be my 6th...I would have to say I like almost all of the VW line.

Ryan
Ryan

For someone who makes a virtue out of stupidity in your signature byline, you are a man of taste, and erudite in all things pertaining to automobilia.

What did you think of the Van/minibus [you might call them microbuses?] with the SVX engine? Cute, eh??

A friend who hailed from South Africa told me VW minibuses over there had the VR6 engine. I have never seen those on sale in Ireland or England. Would make an interesting mobile brick.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-24-2001, 04:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Ai no Corrado!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Ryan

For someone who makes a virtue out of stupidity in your signature byline, you are a man of taste, and erudite in all things pertaining to automobilia.

What did you think of the Van/minibus [you might call them microbuses?] with the SVX engine? Cute, eh??

A friend who hailed from South Africa told me VW minibuses over there had the VR6 engine. I have never seen those on sale in Ireland or England. Would make an interesting mobile brick.

Joe
Can't say I've ever owned a van or a bus...but here was my old lineup:

81 Rabbit
81 Jetta 4dr
83 Rabbit GTi
82 Jetta 2dr
82 Scirroco

After the Scirroco crapped out mid rally race, I decided to stop buying them for a bit. You can go to the scrapyard looking for VW parts just so many times.

Ryan

Old 09-24-2001, 04:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Import - ant cars

Good line-up Ryan.

Never had a VW myself, I find them spartan, and tend to go for French cars. My dad had a Golf though, [your Rabbit] till one of my brothers totalled it for him.

Almost bought a Mk I Scirocco though. Your '82 would have been a MkII, the VW designed one.

Have not had a long list of cars, tend to fall in love with them and not divorce for a while. Among the more interesting ones I remember was a Fiat 128, lovely handling, a Hillman Imp, lovable car, handling for the hairy of chest, and a Renault 5 GT Turbo, 120 hp and 800kgs, a blast to drive.

Currently I have the SVX, a rarity in itself. Also I have a red Matra Murena 3 seater mid-engined car, photos in my locker.

If this is not mad enough, I am restoring a Matra Bagheera X 1978 in black with wonderful lurid acid green upholstery. There are photos in my locker, but not of mine, which is stripped down for work. I am in the process of buying a second silver Bagheera also. Oh, almost forgot, there are two special photos there for Randy also.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-24-2001, 08:26 PM

The two most unique ones besides the SVX were a 1973 AMC Hornet Hatchback (The Green Hornet), with a 360 CI V8, 727 Torqueflite auto tranny, and a modifed Dodge Charger rearend. What a sleeper. Too many tickets, too early in my driving career. Had to sell it. Best 1/4 mile time was a 12.19, can't remember the speed. Not much over 100, though.

The other one was a 1977 Renault Gordini. Very unique, very cool. Not fast or anything, but pretty rare. The whole top opened up as a sunroof. That was another car that nobody could figure out what it was.

Rich
Old 09-24-2001, 09:43 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Uhm, would a '67 VW Fastback count?

How about a '69 BMW 2002 (lowered, stiffened, flared, rubbered, and um, massaged)?

'76 Capri II, 'Le Cat Black'?

Also had a Toyota Nova, and an Isuzu Luv. (?)

Hmm. My list doesn't look so special by comparison.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-25-2001, 12:02 AM
still in love with Hannah

My SVX is my 13th car.

1985 Plymouth Colt E
1984 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo(with the digital dash, THAT was cool)
1991 Eagle Summit
1988 Subaru XT (ex-wife killed it, hit an oak tree head on, unfortunately, she lived)
1993 Mitsubishi Mirage LS
1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon 4x4(loved that thing)
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 #1584-2000
1995 Chevy Camaro
1988 Plymouth Colt
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (beautiful car, but a POS)
1986 Toyota MR2(gt model-spoiler package and bigger clutch and flywheel)
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS(a work horse, would not hesitate to get one again if I wanted one)

...and finally, after trading in the MR2 and the Eclipse GS, I have the SVX.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim

Last edited by 249SVX; 09-25-2001 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:20 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Renault fan

Quote:
Originally posted by richeich
The two most unique ones besides the SVX were a 1973 AMC Hornet Hatchback (The Green Hornet), with a 360 CI V8, 727 Torqueflite auto tranny, and a modifed Dodge Charger rearend. What a sleeper. Too many tickets, too early in my driving career. Had to sell it. Best 1/4 mile time was a 12.19, can't remember the speed. Not much over 100, though.

The other one was a 1977 Renault Gordini. Very unique, very cool. Not fast or anything, but pretty rare. The whole top opened up as a sunroof. That was another car that nobody could figure out what it was.

Rich
As an admitted French car fan, your Gordini is a nice choice. We had two models, the Renault 15 and the R17. The 17 had more gizmos, and a slightly bigger engine, 1800cc's, the 15 was my favourite, less fussy design, long side windows.

People still care for them in England, with a club there. The English are really excellent at minding and caring for cars. French and Irish drivers are what I call "users". They use up a car and scrap it. May have a bit to do with Irish and French roads having crap surfaces. In England, if you found a pothole, you could claim a prize.

You just reminded me, I had a Renault 16 TS. Magic car for trysting the night away. Must get another one. You would need to be a gymnast to do anything friendly in an SVX, or any of these small sportscars. Maybe that's why we never had sports cars when we were young and on the prowl.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 09-25-2001 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:11 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Exclamation Fourty-some-odd cars

I've looked at this thread a few times now, and don't want to put my fingers through typing up 40-something cars, so I'll list a few favorites

My first car was a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD, it was pretty trashed, but boy did it run!
Second car (the car I drove thrugh most of school) was a 1974 Firebird 400 4-Speed with Ram-Air induction(the last year Ram-Air was offered till recently) It was a great car, many stoplight race wins in that one.

Was pretty stuck on Pontiac's most of my life, some other notable ones,
1968 400 HO GTO
1974 GTO (only 1,700 produced, the last year for the Goat, and yes that was the nova looking year, hence the low production figure)

Got hooked on Subaru's about 8 years ago

First Subie was a
1987 RX Turbo AWD 5-Speed (cool odd car)
A few more were
1985 XT Turbo 4WD 5-Speed
1988 XT-6 AWD Auto (I really liked this car, had it been a 5-Speed would probally still have it, it'd turn all 4 tires over on dry pavement!) I believe it was much faster than the SVX(at least 0-60)
1990 Legacy AWD Auto
1991 Legacy AWD 5-Speed
1991 Legacy AWD Wagon(still have)
1992 SVX LS-Tour (still have-putting in a 5-Speed)
1996 Outback Sport(still have)
1994 SVX-L(still have)
I also have a 1995 Impreza 2-door I'm going to turn into a mock RS.

Shew!
Gotta go to work!!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-25-2001, 09:08 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I find it interesting that people own so many cars. I've been driving for 30 years and have only had a "handful" of cars in comparison. I mean, when I buy a car, it's generally, til it dies! Here's my lineup.

1964 Ford Fairlaine 4-door (bought in '73) Sold for the price of a plane ticket to Omaha, NE -- where I met my wife. (Drove it 'til Dec. 75)

1972 Gran Torino Sport (Formal Roof -- 351 Cleveland) Totalled, ran through a fence, three cows and a tree. (Had it for 6 Months)

1974 Mercury Capri 1600 -- Front end was going out, sold it for 200.00. (Drove it from 77 - 82)

1980 Mercury Capri R/S Turbo -- Blew the engine, replaced it, blew the second one, sold for salvage. (Drove it from 82-90)

1986 Peugeot 505 STi -- Engine ruined after being starved of oil. The silly thing would check fine one day and be bone dry the next. Also had some electrical gremlins -- sold for salvage. (90-94)

1980 Triumph Spitfire -- Totalled when alzheimer's patient pulled in front of me. (94-96)

1989 Suzuki Sidekick JX -- fell in love with another car while driving it down the street -- traded the Sidekick for the car I fell in love with. (96-99)

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L -- The car I fell in love with that I traded the Sidekick for. (99 - Present)

Of course this doesn't count the cars that my wife has had -- these are just my personal cars.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-25-2001, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I find it interesting that people own so many cars. I've been driving for 30 years and have only had a "handful" of cars in comparison. I mean, when I buy a car, it's generally, til it dies!
Hehe, well we have to put this in perspective for me then. Lived in the "less fortunate" area of the city with broke parents. Still a car nut, so worked since I was 13 saving up for cars of all things....I couldn't even drive them. Bought ever $100-$300 car I could, simply because they didn't last long. Bought VW's because they were fun, incredibly easy to fix, and dirt cheap. Then rallied them to their death, most died smacking into trees, one rolled into a raveen.

Actually when I really get down to thinking about it. I've only sold one car, my 88 Dodge Daytona. Every other vehicle has met some impending doom, either from crazy women turning lefts in front of me, to large pine trees out in the forest. The best probably being my Jetta 4dr that through a pin and shot my #2 piston out of my hood.

Now if I had to pick my favorite vehicles that would be easy:

84 Merkur XR4 - like I said tons of fun with 18psi, scared lots of Mustang owners
69 MG Midget - fun but 12V neg electrical is a pain in the rear
82 Scirroco - best rally car I've ever had, and also crazy fast for a little car
and of course last but not least my 92 SVX LS-L

Ryan

Old 09-25-2001, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

This has been fun to watch

Quote:
The best probably being my Jetta 4dr that through a pin and shot my #2 piston out of my hood
I got a chuckle out of that one. How did that happen? I can't figure out how a piston separates itself from the pin, goes through the head and through the hood too? You were joking right?
Old 09-25-2001, 10:27 AM

Re: This has been fun to watch

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

I got a chuckle out of that one. How did that happen? I can't figure out how a piston separates itself from the pin, goes through the head and through the hood too? You were joking right?
Wish I was, I'm moving so it might be hard to find the pictures. It was truly hilarious to see though, but seeing that $125 piece of crap was my only transportation....it wasn't very fun at the time. The actual piston didn't puncture the hood, as the head and cam are right there, but it did crack a good piece of the head off and shove that into the hood. The head looked kind of like L shape. I'll have to dig around, you guys might appeciate the pics.

Ryan