Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2001, 07:04 PM
ehyde111

master tech

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Chris,

Figure out what it will cost (total) to get this master tech. on line. Then ask for donations. We have enough members now.
I recall that's how we got started on this site.

Larry III
I agree with Larry. I think most would want to/be able to chip in for a PC and reliable connection for a master tech.

Chris
Old 09-24-2001, 10:56 PM
deadeye95

Eddycat's Retirement

Well, lets look at a realistic view of Eddy's record......

33% of requests at his garage weren't answered because they were stupid (I found that out because I wanted to access the rear struts from the trunk). My "covers every Subaru" shop manual takes some of the blame for the confusion. I did spend an afternoon in the trunk finding out there was no access.

33% were answered like the Roman/Greek oracles - what you are told might have several meanings.

34% he was dead on accurate and saved many people much hardship.

While you can agree this is a simplification, each of you has seen these type of answers. You've all seen the "pleeeeeze tell me the answer, Eddy" post. I'm not in this to kiss anybody's butt - if I know the answer to anybody's problem I'll try to help.

Sorry to see him go - its just too bad that on the "other site" all of his good information will be overwritten with 40 "howdy" or "I'm instaling nitrous" posts each day.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:48 PM
Lowered SVX

you know.....

i went back and read the whole thread that lead up to eddy's decision to leave.
i have had numerous quarrels with eddy about modding the svx and all this other jazz.

he means well but he is hard headed and you can not reason with him. i get the sense that people are feeling bad that he decided to leave when they really shouldnt. i did not want to see eddy leave more than anyone else but apparently he can only dish it out. because from the looks of his departure he can not take it.

we will disagree on something, and of course there is always some misleading information out there. but 9 times out of 10 there are several different takes on something and ultimately it is up to the owner to make a decision on what course of action to take.

i use this site to get an idea of where to start a project or repair. for you do it yourselfers you know that working on your svx is at your own risk regardless of the info. you obtain.

anyway my tirade is over.....too bad eddy.....you were a character and you will be missed, but ultimately it was your decison to make...and you are the one that has to live with it.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 09-25-2001, 06:40 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i went back and read the whole thread that lead up to eddy's decision to leave.
i have had numerous quarrels with eddy about modding the svx and all this other jazz.

he means well but he is hard headed and you can not reason with him. i get the sense that people are feeling bad that he decided to leave when they really shouldnt. i did not want to see eddy leave more than anyone else but apparently he can only dish it out. because from the looks of his departure he can not take it.

we will disagree on something, and of course there is always some misleading information out there. but 9 times out of 10 there are several different takes on something and ultimately it is up to the owner to make a decision on what course of action to take.

i use this site to get an idea of where to start a project or repair. for you do it yourselfers you know that working on your svx is at your own risk regardless of the info. you obtain.

anyway my tirade is over.....too bad eddy.....you were a character and you will be missed, but ultimately it was your decison to make...and you are the one that has to live with it.
I had always viewed Eddy & Aredub as "The Odd Couple". Horns locking often, but complementary to each other. Don't forget Eddy was out of work & felt insulted by demeaning job offers. It had to wear on him. I hope someday he'll find a lucrative career, & rejoin us. We need an honest opinion based upon long experience sometimes, like it or not.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:21 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

I had always viewed Eddy & Aredub as "The Odd Couple". Horns locking often, but complementary to each other. Don't forget Eddy was out of work & felt insulted by demeaning job offers. It had to wear on him. I hope someday he'll find a lucrative career, & rejoin us. We need an honest opinion based upon long experience sometimes, like it or not.
Ron.
I think he was extremely frustrated by his situation, and like you said, it had to wear on him. I just hope he's OK, and that things will turn around for him, whether he rejoins us here or not.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Ron.
I've tried to keep a low profile on this subject, since I am the "power hungry egomaniac" who chased eddy off (in his eyes). Many of us have been in the situation of being out of work and getting, what we may feel, are demeaning job offers. It's no excuse for rudeness. Tearing others down to build yourself up is wrong -- plain and simple. I hate to see eddy go. I'll miss his wit and his strong expertise, but, it's been nice to go through a long period of time without hearing the word "retard" or being lambasted for quoting from the R&T guide. I hope that one day he'll quit pouting and return, but, if not I wish him every success.

Furthermore, it makes us more dependent on each other instead of turning toward one person -- we can once again work TOGETHER to help out with problems. Those of us who've had an experience can share it, and if someone delivers wrong information, those who know can correct with kindness. That's what "community" is all about. The "Network" to me, has been an excellent example of "community" (people pitching in finances and resources to keep it going) as far as it can be expressed in an internet setting.

Don't get me wrong. I love having a Subaru Senior Master Tech around, but, until such time as we may have another one join us, lets pull together, let's deliver accurate information to each other, and keep making this the greatest SVX site in the WORLD!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-26-2001, 08:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

In keeping with the spirit of your last post; can you tell me exactly how the "Possum Pusher" option attaches to the front bumper? Maybe it's supposed to go on the rear bumper; I can't figure out this sketch which came with it. I also wish they had a picture of a possum. We "city" boys don't see them very often.

Larry III
PS: Also, what's a "Dawg?"
Old 09-26-2001, 09:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Furthermore, it makes us more dependent on each other instead of turning toward one person -- we can once again work TOGETHER to help out with problems. Those of us who've had an experience can share it, and if someone delivers wrong information, those who know can correct with kindness. That's what "community" is all about. The "Network" to me, has been an excellent example of "community" (people pitching in finances and resources to keep it going) as far as it can be expressed in an internet setting.

Don't get me wrong. I love having a Subaru Senior Master Tech around, but, until such time as we may have another one join us, lets pull together, let's deliver accurate information to each other, and keep making this the greatest SVX site in the WORLD!
'Community' and 'kindness' hardly make up for experience - speaking completely in terms of practicality. Good intentions and happy thoughts don't carry the same weight as the experience of a person who has actually done the work in question over and over again.

Eddy and I are still emailling and he still helps me with my Subaru problems. I take his advice verbatim and it works. If I don't follow it exactly, it doesn't work. It's as simple as that, in my experience. From an entirely selfish position, his departure from this site made no real difference to me. Unfortunately, this also means that other members don't get to see these exchanges.

I'm going to enter my own opinion, and it's not going to go over well for the same reasons that his harsh criticism of some members here didn't:

There are harder heads here than his ever was. While the guy was hardly diplomatic, he was right. He knows more about these cars than anyone here. (I defy ANY of you shade-tree mechanics on this site to dispute that - I know I won't.) While some of you focused on HOW he said things (which I will freely admit wasn't always the most polite way he could have), WHAT he said was totally ignored in 'the infamous thread.'

I have been into some rather technical fields in my time, and I've learned something important. When somebody who knows what they're doing says 'you're doing it wrong,' I don't immediately claim bigotry and ingorance. I listen and I learn. More often than not, that person is right. It sucks when someone calls you a retard or an idiot when you didn't necessarily deserve it. But there are people out there who aren't going to pull punches and aren't going to apologize for hurting your feelings. Get used to that and your life becomes a lot less stressful. Not to mention the total lack of facial expressions in an email or newsgroup posting. Sarcasm and real insults look the same.

Emotions on all sides ran too high and that's a shame. Eddy's situation and his generosity was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and, in my mind, that gave his some political leverage. Since nobody else saw it that way, we lost that resource.

For better or for worse only time will tell. For now, Eddy's departure was a diplomatic bandage, but I submit that the accuracy of the technical information on this site will suffer greatly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-26-2001, 10:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

For better or for worse only time will tell. For now, Eddy's departure was a diplomatic bandage, but I submit that the accuracy of the technical information on this site will suffer greatly.

Nick,

Unfortunately, I think you are right on the mark.

Larry
Old 09-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Road kill

< I also wish they had a picture of a possum. We "city" boys
don't see them very often.>

I dare say you will become an EXPERT about the little critters as you drive to Canaan.
It is safe to stop and look at samples that are already dead on the SIDE of the road; avoid those stacked on the painted stripes.

You may pass over those dead in your lane with almost total safety.
Only EXTREMELY fat possums can scrape the bottom of an SVX.

Also spray the animal with Lysol before approaching, or you may do permanent damage to one of your senses.
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 09-26-2001, 11:09 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Re: Road kill

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
< I also wish they had a picture of a possum. We "city" boys
don't see them very often.>

I dare say you will become an EXPERT about the little critters as you drive to Canaan.
It is safe to stop and look at samples that are already dead on the SIDE of the road; avoid those stacked on the painted stripes.

You may pass over those dead in your lane with almost total safety.
Only EXTREMELY fat possums can scrape the bottom of an SVX.

Also spray the animal with Lysol before approaching, or you may do permanent damage to one of your senses.
Don
And how does one avoid stepping on those stacked carcasses?
Pogo-stick! Ba-da-boing! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:50 AM
Lowered SVX

although eddy is a subaru master tech...

i do feel like we still have guys on this site who know what they are talking about. eddy will be missed but i dont think his departure damages this site. this site is place where subaru owners can come and share things about as car they love. the technical information is just a bonus. i never came here to learn how properly repair my own brakes. i came here to get some new ideas in regards to mods.....meet some fellow svxers....and chat with people i have something in common with. i feel like i can do all of that with or without eddy.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 09-26-2001, 12:28 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Well I've avoided this thread since it started but I guess it's time to throw in my 2 cents.

First off, like I said Eddy was an invaluable resource of SVX knowledge. Our techinal expertise is extremely limited compared to his, I will never doubt that. I also think that it will make our diagnosis of problems, or possible solutions much more of a problem. I do however feel that as a GROUP we will be able to find our solutions. It make take some trial and error, however I doubt that over 300 members can't figure out a solution to most problems.

Not that I want to dredge up the old thread, but I do have a couple comments.

First quoting Mr Pockets: "WHAT he said was totally ignored in 'the infamous thread"

Actually I only responded to that thread in the first place because of the premise of what he was stating. I completely read through the comments, as well as what I and others posted on the Yahoo site. After reading all of these I responded to what he said and defended myself accordingly. In all honestly I was offended about what he said, but my response was more of a defense against his original post (subject wise not the way he stated it). However after a post or two the entire issue became more involved with his attitude rather than the issue at hand.

I must admit that I definately fanned the flames in the thread. For that many of you are probably displeased with me, and for that I apologize. I did not want something to explode the way it did, however I must admit it hurt and angered me.

Needless to say however I do still hold much respect for Eddy. Also if you are still reading these Eddy, I appreciate the help you gave me in the past with a few of my problems.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 09-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

'Community' and 'kindness' hardly make up for experience - speaking completely in terms of practicality. Good intentions and happy thoughts don't carry the same weight as the experience of a person who has actually done the work in question over and over again.

Eddy and I are still emailling and he still helps me with my Subaru problems. I take his advice verbatim and it works. If I don't follow it exactly, it doesn't work. It's as simple as that, in my experience. From an entirely selfish position, his departure from this site made no real difference to me. Unfortunately, this also means that other members don't get to see these exchanges.

I'm going to enter my own opinion, and it's not going to go over well for the same reasons that his harsh criticism of some members here didn't:

There are harder heads here than his ever was. While the guy was hardly diplomatic, he was right. He knows more about these cars than anyone here. (I defy ANY of you shade-tree mechanics on this site to dispute that - I know I won't.) While some of you focused on HOW he said things (which I will freely admit wasn't always the most polite way he could have), WHAT he said was totally ignored in 'the infamous thread.'

I have been into some rather technical fields in my time, and I've learned something important. When somebody who knows what they're doing says 'you're doing it wrong,' I don't immediately claim bigotry and ingorance. I listen and I learn. More often than not, that person is right. It sucks when someone calls you a retard or an idiot when you didn't necessarily deserve it. But there are people out there who aren't going to pull punches and aren't going to apologize for hurting your feelings. Get used to that and your life becomes a lot less stressful. Not to mention the total lack of facial expressions in an email or newsgroup posting. Sarcasm and real insults look the same.

Emotions on all sides ran too high and that's a shame. Eddy's situation and his generosity was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and, in my mind, that gave his some political leverage. Since nobody else saw it that way, we lost that resource.

<Reaching up and removing "moderator's" hat for a moment.>

What a bunch of drivel! "Once in a lifetime opportunity" my bare red a$$. We had the opportunity to have, not one, but TWO master techs, but, nooooo. That wonderful "sarcasm" tended to run one of them off, not to mention countless others. The "WAY" people say things is what makes them palatable. Are you gonna eat soup from a bowl, or from a slop jar. Sometimes the way things are served makes them more or less appealing. I appreciated the experience, but, it just taught me that Subaru, in their training, needs to add some people skills training into the mix.

"Community and kindness hardly make up for experience, speaking completely in terms of practicality" Now, there.s a mouthful. I'm sorry, but "practicality" and "SVX" are hardly complementary terms.

Give me community and kindness any day of the week. If we're going to abandon it for "experience." Then, I need to act like an ass and take my marbles elswhere too. I need to be childish after calling others childish. I need to be arrogant after calling someone else an egomaniac, and I need to ask for someone else to be censored after crying "censorship."

Gah! A diplomatic bandage? Oh, pooor pooor eddy. He was such a victim --- horse puckey!!!

E-mail me about any upcoming meets.

<picking up "moderator's" hat, tossing it in the trash, on the way out the door.>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-26-2001, 02:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

<Reaching up and removing "moderator's" hat for a moment.>

What a bunch of drivel! "Once in a lifetime opportunity" my bare red a$$. We had the opportunity to have, not one, but TWO master techs, but, nooooo. That wonderful "sarcasm" tended to run one of them off, not to mention countless others. The "WAY" people say things is what makes them palatable. Are you gonna eat soup from a bowl, or from a slop jar. Sometimes the way things are served makes them more or less appealing. I appreciated the experience, but, it just taught me that Subaru, in their training, needs to add some people skills training into the mix.

"Community and kindness hardly make up for experience, speaking completely in terms of practicality" Now, there.s a mouthful. I'm sorry, but "practicality" and "SVX" are hardly complementary terms.

Give me community and kindness any day of the week. If we're going to abandon it for "experience." Then, I need to act like an ass and take my marbles elswhere too. I need to be childish after calling others childish. I need to be arrogant after calling someone else an egomaniac, and I need to ask for someone else to be censored after crying "censorship."

Gah! A diplomatic bandage? Oh, pooor pooor eddy. He was such a victim --- horse puckey!!!

E-mail me about any upcoming meets.

<picking up "moderator's" hat, tossing it in the trash, on the way out the door.>
Wow...that may be the last time I submit my opinions about anything controversial on this site. Jeez. I didn't say we should entirely throw out any sense of community or kindness on the site. I didn't kick anybody's dog.

Last time i post my opinions? Yeah, I'm about to shut my mouth...sure...

Drivel, my ass. You took my message WAY out of context.

Once in a lifetime opportunity? Hell yeah, I think so. When else are we going to get a Subaru master tech with nothing better to do than answer our questions all day long? I think the time he put into ansering posts in a given day was WAY more than could be expected. Of course, most will also balance that with the time he put into non-informative writing.

What other master tech did Eddy scare away? The only one I remember was 'SVXmastertech' or something. I seem to remember Eddy asking him a couple questions and the guy never answered.

In short, is he the only Subaru master tech on the planet? Of course not. Will we get another one who will put the time that he did into this site? I'd put money on 'no.'

"Email me about any upcoming meets?" Huh? Now you're leaving, is that it? Oh, you have to be kidding me. I've never seen such a group of middle-aged children in my life.

LARRY, by the way, is the ONLY one so far who actually got the POINT of my very long-winded post. I didn't say we'd suffer as a group. I didn't say we'd have less fun. I said the accuracy of the technical information on the site will suffer. The engineer was the only one to understand that. You get the gold star I was going to give to Randy, Larry. I'll mail it before I leave for AutoFest.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE