How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
SeVeX :)

Rice Burner...

Need some opinions. Some of my friends were telling me I had a rice burner, refering to my SVX. Would you consider the SVX a rice burner?

Your friendly neighborhood ~bizzel~
Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It is japanese, hence it is a rice burner.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:29 PM

Rice burners don't really start out as nice as the SVX though. You have to hop rice burners up alot more to get that kind of power out of them. Being made by an Asian company doesn't automatically make it a rice burner?

~bizzel~
Old 12-04-2003, 01:50 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I think immortal's point was that your friends are stupid and would call any Jap car a rice burner. That's ok though, the next time they call it a rice burner you can call their car a piece of garbage, especially if it's made by Ford.

P.S. The same people would rather drive a 87' Camaro over a Skyline GT-R

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Shot king

And don't forget to remind them that there domestic probably has a lot of parts made overseas in them.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:56 PM

hey at least they aren't powered by gerbils, hence Hondas

could be worse...you could be driving a VW

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 PM

lol...

Thanx for the input. And the good laughs.

~Bizzel~
Old 12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
hey at least they aren't powered by gerbils, hence Hondas

could be worse...you could be driving a VW

Kelli
aaaamen!
phil
Old 12-05-2003, 11:21 AM
cargamer03

unless it has a 10 inch tip on the end of thier 1.5 inch pipe than i don't consider it rice. okay so maybe not 10 inches but we have all seen those cars that just make you shake your head. i guess they could have neon light. than that could be rice material too.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by cargamer03
unless it has a 10 inch tip on the end of thier 1.5 inch pipe than i don't consider it rice. okay so maybe not 10 inches but we have all seen those cars that just make you shake your head. i guess they could have neon light. than that could be rice material too.
uh oh....... I got larger tipsand neon lights inside and out.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:50 PM
arondale

Quote:
It is japanese, hence it is a rice burner.
So you call Lexus LX430s and Toyota Sequoias rice burners? They are japanese.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
They are all technically rice burners. There is no need to take offence to it. The term rice burner was made up a long way back when they first started importing mass amounts of japanese cars into the states. Whether it is assembled here, japan, mexico, etc. If it is an asian parent company, its a riceburner.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:51 PM
alacrity024

not sure about the validity of this but..

i heard that the term "rice" in reference to automobiles first came about because the japenese auto manufacturers would fill the crankcases of their cars with rice oil before shipping them overseas.. of course once they reached their destinations they were all drained and refilled with standard dinosaur bones.. not sure why they wouldn't just fill 'em with regular oil from the factory.. maybe it has something to do with the shipping process..

-adam
Old 12-06-2003, 06:27 PM

Rice

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
They are all technically rice burners. There is no need to take offence to it. The term rice burner was made up a long way back when they first started importing mass amounts of japanese cars into the states. Whether it is assembled here, japan, mexico, etc. If it is an asian parent company, its a riceburner.
In the mid 60's when I was in motor sports we ran a Triumph and some of our opposition came from Toyota's, Mazda's Datsun's (Nissen) and we had various ricey names for them, we reckoned that they ran on rice water. "1500 CC stood for the amount of cockroaches it took to turn the crank""How many pounds of rice to the mile" etc. We would check their work stations at the service sections to see what type of rice they put in them. When we ran our first Jap car we coped it as well. All good fun.

So down under in Australia they have been using the term at least since the early 60's as it was a well accepted term by the time I first heard it, and it was used for all Jap cars. I think the first uses of the term may have been used to describe Jap bikes at the time they first started importing them.

The term riceburner has changed a bit now and, although I think still applicable to all Asian vehicles, generally would be taken to mean something that tries to pose itself as something that it isn't. A car (Asian?) that has "cheap" add ons that does nothing for the cars performance or style, ugh!!!

Kenn

Last edited by KennEls; 12-06-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

nothing wrong with rice burners....we got hamburger grills here in the US. then there's the pasta/pizza ovens from italy......fishnchips fryers from england?
delorean was a potato baker?