How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 10:34 AM

Question tranny service

Perhaps I went about this in the wrong way... Checked the SVX Shop Search function for Portland area but found no shops listed for 97068 + 25 miles. Posted an inquiry on the Northwest Regional Board vis-a-vis a recommendation for a good shop for a routine tranny service replacing 100% of the fluid with synthetic, adding a question as to where to plumb into the system as far as the in-line filter was concerned...

11 views, no reply? Somebody MUST know of an alternative to the $129.95 @ the holy "Dealership"! They tell me they are not sure whether synthetic fluid is "approved by Subaru", and are not convinced they can even get the synthetic into their system if I bring it to them.

Same response at the few JiffyLube types that even have the ability to replace 100% of the fluid.

Help, please!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Lowered SVX

hmmmm......

any general mechanic should be able to flush it for you and put in any fluid you bring them. brian steele is in WA drop him a PM.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sorry, Stormin', I was waiting for someone else to field this one, but, here goes (BTW Norman Schwarzkopf is speaking at a show we're doing this week).

If you have a Penske shop in your area, they use the Snap-On equivalent of the Trans-Tech tranny flush system. It uses the Tranny's own pump to move the fluid through. Whatever you do, do not use a shop that uses a machine that uses a vacuum to pull the fluid through. They (Penske) should have synthetic (Mobil One, I believe). Otherwise, you might just call some similar shops and ask what system they use. If they use Trans-Tech, or the Snap-On equivalent, you should be good to go.

If you look in my locker, you'll see the location of the Subaru program filter. It comes with hoses and clamps. Sorry, I don't have plumbing instructions, since I didn't do it myself. My car came with the filter already installed.

If you're looking for aftermarket filter stuff, PM "nubs." He has installed an inline, non-program filter and should be able to give you some pointers.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-26-2002, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the response(s)! There are some Penske shops in the area (still?): they probably have severed their K-Mart connection in some way... The pump vs. vacuum is a great pointer.

I guess my ? was really more complex than I 1st thought.

Thanks again for your consideration. When I become more familiar with this forum perhaps I'll be able to make the contacts you both have suggested.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by STORMINORMAN
Thanks for the response(s)! There are some Penske shops in the area (still?): they probably have severed their K-Mart connection in some way... The pump vs. vacuum is a great pointer.

I guess my ? was really more complex than I 1st thought.

Thanks again for your consideration. When I become more familiar with this forum perhaps I'll be able to make the contacts you both have suggested.
No problem. Always happy to help. If you go to the "members" button at the top of the page, you'll be given an alphabet to click on. Works just like an alphabetical phone book. Just click on the letter (for instance "N" for nubs). Scroll down to find his name and click it. His profile will appear. Read down the profile 'til you see "send nubs a private message (PM)." A box will pop up, type your message and submit it -- oh, and be sure to fill out the subject line, or it will prompt you to do so. It's simple, once you learn the tricks.

Good luck on the tranny flush.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI