How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-12-2002, 08:20 PM
punisher

FogLights?

I was checkin out ebay and I saw some xenon foglights available for the svx. From the pictures I've seen, this car doesn't have fog lights? Does it?
Old 04-12-2002, 08:24 PM
gcookaustin

Yeah, there's a switch next to the cruise control on/off..
Old 04-12-2002, 08:26 PM
gcookaustin

Yeah the fog lights are incorporated into the main headlight cover on each side, so there's a row of three lights on each side.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Green1995SVX

Both the fogs and low beams are activated on the svx in the below picture.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carp...xs/svxs069.jpg

-Mike
Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 PM
punisher

That's what I was figuring. Thanks for the pic green!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:03 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
That's what I was figuring. Thanks for the pic green!
<bows> My pleasure.

-Mike
Old 04-13-2002, 07:01 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<I was checkin out ebay and I saw some xenon foglights available for the svx.>>

Before you buy them, Ask Seraph what he thinks of Xenon bulbs. He had a set that we tried and the 100W Xenon put out probably 50% less light than my plain old 35W Halogen fog lamps.

These bulbs are a rip off. They take a plain halogen bulb and put a blue filter on it to make it look like a XENON HID bulb. Problem is that the halogen gas (even Xenon) when lit with a filiment only puts out light in the 2000 to 3000 degree kelvin range. The filter blocks eveything below 4100K so the amount of light that passes through the filter is just a fraction (probably 10%) of what the bulb generates.

You'd be better off duct taping a cheap flashlight to your hood. You'd be able to see much better.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've experimented with a couple sets of Eurolite's for my dims and fogs. I bought the set less than a year ago and now 3 of the 4 bulbs are defective and have been replaced. These bulbs are blue to look at.

My brights, which I haven't touched since I bought the car over a year ago, shine blue but the bulb itself looks like a rainbow (think oil in water) look. They seem to do their job well and have far out-lasted the Eurolite's.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Somewhat related

It's kinda weird (or is it me? Now there's a loaded question...) but when I put a pair of PIAAs in my low beams it seemed to take a few nights before they got bright. Maybe the filaments are heavy at first and burn off their excess, becoming brighter as a result? Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 04-13-2002, 03:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
<<I was checkin out ebay and I saw some xenon foglights available for the svx.>>

Before you buy them, Ask Seraph what he thinks of Xenon bulbs. He had a set that we tried and the 100W Xenon put out probably 50% less light than my plain old 35W Halogen fog lamps.

These bulbs are a rip off. They take a plain halogen bulb and put a blue filter on it to make it look like a XENON HID bulb. Problem is that the halogen gas (even Xenon) when lit with a filiment only puts out light in the 2000 to 3000 degree kelvin range. The filter blocks eveything below 4100K so the amount of light that passes through the filter is just a fraction (probably 10%) of what the bulb generates.

You'd be better off duct taping a cheap flashlight to your hood. You'd be able to see much better.

Doug
I agree!!!

These are my experience with those lights. On H3, if i put white ones in, I get pulled over within a block. Cops thinks that I have brights on. You are better off gettting crystal Ion PIAA yellow ones. They are brighter and will not get you pulled over.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-13-2002, 04:42 PM

Shameless plug.......

I love my PIAA Ion Crystal fog lights. They look great. I rarely get highbeamed anymore by on coming traffic. While they cast a nice yellow light on the road they have that yellow blue purple reflection off the headlight housing. Tre cool

I bought my bulbs from: http://www.autobulbdepot.com .

Click on "product line" and then the first "Click here"
Select "Subaru" and then hit "Go"
Select "1992-97 SVX" and hit "Go"
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. They are listed as: PA 13555, PIAA bulb-H3 55=85w Ion Crystal. $24.39 a bulb.

I think s/h was about $5. Grand total: Around $54.00

B.C.

If you go to the site take a minute to check out the other stuff they sell. Some of it is pretty cool. I want these PIAA wiper blades(the carbon fiber ones): http://www.autobulbdepot.com/images/...main_intro.jpg My memory fails me........Someone at the Reading meet had them but I forget who.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Boone

I got the autobulb recommended PIAAs 18 months ago for high, low and amber for the fogs. No problems except for my fat fingering the "tiny wire" for the fog. They are not as bright as some for the lows but don't draw attention, the highs scorch racoons and vaporize possums. Similar are available at most auto stores now... B.

Last edited by Boone; 04-13-2002 at 06:02 PM.