Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 AM
indexable

Will a 92 4eat transmission drop in my 94 1/2 SVX

I have been reading conflicting things, I have a 94 1/4 SVX LSi, I blew the tranny up, no surprise.
I have located an almost new Subaru rebuilt transmission from a 92. I will come with the torque converter, computer & extra oil cooler.
Does anybody know if it will work in my car?
I have been told that the computer is different, and the 92 computer will NOT plug in or work with my car,

Can any body shed a little light on this??

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me
Old 09-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Yes, it'll work....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 AM
SVXist Pig

Yes, HOWEVER...

I have a 92 that's on a rebuilt transmission and the rebuilt is dying. I'm guessing the rebuilt transmission will cost $1500 - 2000 + labor, right? Will they give you a warranty? How long and what does it cover, deductible, etc?

People here seem to be having good luck by replacing their SVX transmissions (tight tolerances, overly high 3.545 final drive gearing, poor cooling passages - all especially true for 1992 cars) with 4.11 or 4.44 geared transmissions from other 1990's Subaru cars. This would also require the purchase of a rear differential to match of course, but it seems that the overall cost of simply dropping in a used tranny and diff can be significantly cheaper than buying a rebuilt SVX tranny and then going through the same problems in a couple of years.

I'm currently in the market for a 4.44 trans and diff. Users here have reported much quicker performance (obviously) and excellent durability. Since the guts are turning quicker, fluid moves faster and keeps things cooler. Also, the lower gear ratio puts less stress on everything - like climbing a hill on a bicycle using the easy, quick spinning gears rather than the hard, slow turning gears. The downside is reduced fuel economy.

Just my thoughts. svxfiles has extensive knowledge of this topic, as do numerous others here.

Last edited by Fuzz541; 09-29-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Most people actually pull the 5sp's and 4.11's from Pre-1995 Legacies. They bolt right up too.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The '92 & '93s had some issues that were eventually sorted out by '94. The two main issues were a rad cooler with mesh inside that trapped debris and clogged, the other being a front pump gasket that would eventually tear and suck air, reducing the fluid flow/pressure. The question is whether or not the rebuilt has these updates.

Of course a later, different model will offer a lower final drive ratio. This eases the transmission's load a bit and the components inside will, depending on model year used, probably have updated friction, etc. inside. Their usage requires also changing the rear differential ratio to match (on AWD cars.) A lower ratio will provide better acceleration, about an even trade vs. the extra fuel they'll use as a result. Around-town drivers probably won't notice a difference in mpg as much as those that predominantly drive on interstates. Also, the SVX trans has an extra friction and steel disc in the overdrive clutch. I'm not saying that is a concern but just a fact, if you find that a personally important consideration.