How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-04-2005, 07:14 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Question Natural Gas Powered cars.....

I,m seeking input and feedback on natural gas powered cars.

www.fuelmaker.com markets a device called PHILL, which is apparently a pump used to fill your natural gas powered car in your own garage, assuming you have a natural gas supply. Honda sells/leases the Civic GX, and (in California at least) will even lease you this device. A rough comparo on the web indicates a per mile cost at about .08 cents (gasoline) vs. about .02 cents (NG).
My local Honda dealer (Sioux Falls, SD) has never heard of the Civic GX, but there it is, on the Honda web site, for all to see.

So, do any of you have any experience with this technology? Do any of you know of any conversions to make cars dual fuel capable? Dare I dream this could be done on the SVX?

I really don't put that many miles on my SVX anymore, if we go to SF, we go in the Solara ('04 SLE V6), which is a nice car actually. The thing is, gas is going to be $5 a gallan before you can say 'bob's your uncle' and I wanted to position myself to avoid that if I can.

If I am repeating a previous thread, let me know, and to any and all who have any information to share, I thank you sincerely.

Bruce

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Bipa

Back in 2001, an SVX here in Germany was outfitted to run on liquified petroleum gas. (Flüssiggas) The story is written up on a page at the German SVX Club (in German) http://www.svx-club.de/Technik/Page1...page13527.html

He put a 70 litre tank in the trunk (see pic) and the total cost was around 2,500 euro. Seems to be happy with it, although it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2003. He says that for more info people should contact Subaru-Servicepartner Auto Wolter in Bergheim-Glessse, Germany 50129

The photos are coming out very big, so I've put them in my locker for folks who want to see more detail. Here are small versions with link to big:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29118.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29119.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29120.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29121.jpg
Old 09-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Ford and GM also make NG vehicles. The gas company here uses them. There are gas stations that offer NG, about 10 of them in Wisconsin.

As far as dual fuel, I don't know if that is available from the factory or if you need to get a custom built.

Most fuel injected cars can be converted to NG.

The big down side is that NG and oil come from the same place and the prices go up at the same time.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-05-2005, 08:58 AM
My kitten can woop your kitten

Send a message via AIM to Dengue Send a message via Yahoo to Dengue
how does it affect the cars performance?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Talking NG cars

According to the Honda website, the Civic GX performs exactly like the standard gasoline powered model. "One cannot tell the difference" (easy for them to say).

Does Ford or GM make their NG powered vehicles available to the public, or just for fleet sales?

I liked the idea of the Civic or similar small car, for efficiency and all, but my butt appreciates the comfort of the larger sized seats in cars like the SVX or the Solara, something that would more easily fit say....my no longer aged 23 sized posterier, know what I mean? I'm over 53 now and the Civic is a tad tight. Civic with Acura seats maybe?

NG is appreciably cheaper here than gasoline.

Bruce

Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I saw one of these GXs in person and they are right. You cannot tell the difference.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I saw one of these GXs in person and they are right. You cannot tell the difference.
What, both ubearably underpowered and devolved acuras?? THe thing is, a small car like that can have oodles of power missing and no one would notice I don't see this being a mod for those of us looking for performance but for those looking to get good gas mileage it may be worth while

Tom
Old 09-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Exactly my point it was really slow.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 AM

Talking NG cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
What, both ubearably underpowered and devolved acuras?? THe thing is, a small car like that can have oodles of power missing and no one would notice I don't see this being a mod for those of us looking for performance but for those looking to get good gas mileage it may be worth while

Tom
Yes on the good gas milage. The best the SVX will give me on the interstate is 26 @ 80mph, AC off, cruise on. The Solara will average almost 30, seems likd no matter whats on or off(!).
Not looking for a performance increase, just a dip in operating costs I guess. Like I said before, I got all the mod mania out of my system on my previous cars, had a blast doing it. Once gas hits $5/gallon (and it will by Christmas, mark my words) I want an alternative in place. Be it a third garage stall for a Civic GX or a Prius, or an insight, or an ATV or two for around town putzing, I don't know yet. In this town of 6K people, there are about a dozen folks driving around on street legal ATVs. Won't be much fun this January, but hey, who can critisize. I just thought the idea of fueling a car in the comfort of my own garage and thumbing my nose at gas prices would be fun....

Thanks for the feedback guys, and really Tom, I'm not that interested in a car that can't get out of its own way, sure, and I'm not getting rid of the SVX, just want to add something more frugal to my garage. If an weezy Civic GX or Insight or something will get the wife and I to Sioux Falls and back every two weeks or so for groceries and fun, I'd rather spend 2 or 3 gallons doing it than 8 or 9. What I am trying to get is a feeling of cost per mile maybe, for NG cars vs. gasoline. NG is the prevelant heat source out here, followed by electricity.

My neighbor, who worked for the electric co-op for years tells me this...They used to have a saying at the electric company..........."Go modern, Go gas, Go boom!"...funny.

Bruce

Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Hi,
I think there will be no performance differences between LPG/CNG powered and gasoline powered vehcles. Most of the city service buses in India run on CNG power in metropolitans like Mumbai and Delhi. It is more eco-friendly than "PETROL/DIESEL" vehicles in India. Many cars and bikes in India are powered by CNG and as far as i know there will be no change in power and we can get cars with CNG installed directly from the factory tooo. TATA is one of the companies that produce LPG/CNG vehicles (Trucks, SUVs, Cars, Buses, Defense vehicles) widely in India.

Hope someone in the market produces universal LPG/CNG conversion kits in near future, so that we can install them into our cars.

-Pavan.