How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-13-2004, 03:28 PM
corey_256

cluster lights

in my 92 svx whenever i turn the wheel all the lights along the bottom of the instrument cluster light up. also the wheel seems hard to turn sometimes. another problem i have is when i push on the brakes, turn on the fog lights, the heated mirrors, the rear defroster, or the heater. the radio either starts making funny noises or shuts off completely. i'm lost any help with this would be greatly apprectiated. i've read here that some people have had the lights come on when their alternator is going out, could this be the problem? and if so would it cause the other problems.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:40 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Get a multimeter and measure the voltage when you see all the lights.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 PM

and check the tightness the alternator/power steering belt.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Corey,
Welcome to the Network!

Your light problem "could" be as simple as a loose belt. Make sure the alt belt is tightened to within spec.

Another possibility is that the o-ring on your P/S pump needs replacing. If the pump is sucking air, it would cause the hard steering, and, possibly the drag on the belt path, causing the belt to slip and the lights to come on.

Then, of course, there's always the alternator going out.

Go to the "how to" personal locker for instructions on the o-ring fix.

As far as the noise with the panel switches, I have the same problem, but, only with the rear defogger. I've noticed that I have a couple of the elements that do not heat. I'm guessing there are broken circuits there. Considering that one of the dual antennas for the radio is on the rear windshield, I just figured it was electrical noise caused by the open circuits. I don't have the same problem with the mirrors or the other elements you mentioned.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-13-2004, 07:33 PM
corey_256

thanks for the ideas. my belt is really cracked so i have a new one to put on along with the a/c belt with a new pulley cause the old one seized and burned up the old a/c belt. i had no idea the rear defroster was also an antenna. when i turn on the rear defrost it usually only makes the radio sound weird. but when the foglights are on or the heated mirrors thats what usually shuts the radio completely off, but the lights and heat on the mirrors still works fine. thanks for your help
Old 02-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Brock94SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by corey_256
thanks for the ideas. my belt is really cracked so i have a new one to put on along with the a/c belt with a new pulley cause the old one seized and burned up the old a/c belt. i had no idea the rear defroster was also an antenna. when i turn on the rear defrost it usually only makes the radio sound weird. but when the foglights are on or the heated mirrors thats what usually shuts the radio completely off, but the lights and heat on the mirrors still works fine. thanks for your help
---------------------------------------------------------------

is it possible you could have a short also ? the belt was prob the problem but...just for giggles have you had the electrical system checked?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 PM
corey_256

i did check the alternator and it wasn't charging the battery at all the battery was just being drained when i turned on some of the accessories.