IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 02:02 PM
fatboyfsx

Arrow Which Clutch? And other ?'s

Hey guys

I am new to this board, but listen up.

My friend just bought a 1992 SVX, we are putting a 5-speed into it. We already pulled the tranny from a 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon. We got the tranny (cable operated), clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, rear-end, shifter, pedal assembly, and other parts for under $200. He needs to know what clutch-kit he sould get. He is looking at SPEC clutches, cause of the price range. They are much cheaper, but seem to be of high quality. The website for SPEC is here. He is not sure whether to get the stage 1 or stage 2, but he is leaning toward the stage 2 because of the power and weight difference of the SVX. Please let us know what you think we should get and why.

Also, on another question, are 1997 SVX front grills the same as the "Euro Type" grills?

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I could be wrong, but I think you're sort of in experimental territory here. I know a few people have done the conversion, but I think in general they've been using Subaru clutches as well, not sure anyone's done one with an aftermarket clutch.

My advice is to do a quick search in the forums for messages about clutches, 5-speeds and so forth... but please if anyone out there has already done this please prove me wrong and post about it

By all means though, please also post about your experiences... I for one love reading about these kind of mods

Oh... and in case you've not already checked it out, please take a look at the info at http://www.smallcar.com/svx/index.htm as most of the info is short but concise.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Many of us here have used aftermarket clutches

I'm using an Exedy, GreenMarine is using a local to SC supplier, Dayle has used a Centerforce, alex_umn has used an ACT. Many suppliers, many choices.

Todd
Old 06-30-2003, 06:39 PM
fatboyfsx

Well, my friend went along and ordered up the stage 2 clutch kit, it should be great. Some other people he talked to told him that was probably his best bet. Thanks for the input guys