Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Lowered SVX

squealing??

when i crank the car in the morning i get a loud squeal?? it gets worse when i turn on the air conditioner. what the hell do i need to fix now??

thanks
Leo
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: squealing??

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
when i crank the car in the morning i get a loud squeal?? it gets worse when i turn on the air conditioner. what the hell do i need to fix now??

thanks
Leo
Sounds like a belt deal to me. P/S O-ring? Simple tightening? Just my guess.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Yeah, what Randy said
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-07-2003, 10:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Leo,
It's too bad I don't have any employee "going away parties" coming up soon. Otherwise, I'd work myself up a good hangover and come down and install it for you.

Hope the alternator mod is still holding up for you.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Lowered SVX

thanks........

i had my power steering fluid checked and it was full so i dont think it is the o-ring. it must be belt related. when i turn on the air conditioning/heater i am getting a bit of a burning smell. could it be a belt slipping?

the alternator mod is definitely a must do for any svxer. my alternator is still going strong. thanks a lot for coming down to help me out.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: thanks........

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i had my power steering fluid checked and it was full so i dont think it is the o-ring. it must be belt related. when i turn on the air conditioning/heater i am getting a bit of a burning smell. could it be a belt slipping?

the alternator mod is definitely a must do for any svxer. my alternator is still going strong. thanks a lot for coming down to help me out.
If there's a burning smell, it could very well be belt slippage. That could be due to a couple of things: Loose belt; a pulley that is near seizing. I'm hoping it's not the latter.

Pop the hood and, first, check the condition of the belt (cracks, slickness, etc.) If it seems okay, press the belt with your thumb to see how much it gives. If it gives a lot, tighten it using the tensioner screw (being very careful not to overtighten). At one point, I've had the tensioner screw slip the yoke it is supposed to sit in. Caused quite a racket.

As for P/S fluid being okay, that's no indication that the pump isn't sucking air. Usually, the o-ring problem manifests itself with a small puddle of fluid on the engine block, just behind the reservoir, however, when mine first started, there was no evidence whatsoever that there was a problem. Fluid level was fine, and there were no leaks. Just that darned shutter at low speed turn and the squealing on full lock.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I believe some owners who have had the main drive pulley dampener rubber give way have had squealing also. You may want to take a look at it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Lowered SVX

this stupid car...........

this morning my wife was taking the svx to work this morning when the speedo zeroed out, the car stopped accruing mileage, and the check engine light came on inside. i am assuming the little gear above or behind (cant remember) on the tranny broke. hopefully that is what caused the check engine light to come on as well.

i am going to have them investigate the squealing too. i downloaded the o-ring how-to and took it into them.

surely it will only take the the rest of this month to get my car back. i hate the dealership here. they are just butchers awaiting the slaughter.

wish me luck and thanks for the help.
"Too much fun to drive!"